Russian Icons

I read somewhere that it was illegal to buy Russian icons, even reproductions, in Russia. Can anyone confirm this? I am not interested in antiques (couldn't afford one anyway) but collect religious art and would like to buy a nice reproduction if possible.

I did check and see this from one source: "Pursuant to Russian law, it is presently illegal to export any Russian icon that is over one hundred years in age." As I re-call, there were lots of different gift and souvenir items that highlighted this type of art available for purchase there at the better shops in Russia. There are also various websites offering such items. Below are a couple of pictures of these great religious art items in churches in Russia.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

On the ceilings of the Church of Spilled Blood in St. Petersburg, here are two different examples of its highly-detailed designs:

1A-StP-Spilled3Bld.jpg

1A-StP-Spilled2Bld.jpg

A more detailed look at St. Isaac's ceilings and interior dome:

1A-StP-StIsaac2Int.jpg

The interior for Moscow's most historic church inside the Kremlin walls:

1A-Moscow-KremChurchInterior.jpg

One of the most prominent items for sale in St. Petersburg is lacquer boxes. Many depict religious themes and the prices vary from inexpensive reproductions (sometimes plastic) to signed boxes that cost a fortune. They are easy to pack and light weight and can be found everywhere. The street market near the Church of Spilt Blood will have so many your head will spin. Most hotel gift shops will carry them as well. Ask your guide to help you both pick out a suitable box and negotiate the price. You will also find stackable dolls with Barak Obama and Elvis images, Russian peasant hats, and really nice hand knit or crocheted mohair scarves and shawls amongst all the regular touristy stuff.

If you are truly in the market for icons let your guide know beforehand. No reputable Russian guide will lead you astray. There are plenty of merchants who will sell you one that ends up in the hands of the Russian or even US customs agents.

Archived