First Time Cruiser with family

grammywig

We are taking our very first cruise on NCL Jewel in July 2011 with our 7 kids/grandkids....Would any experienced cruisers who sailed on NCL Jewel let me know the following:

Do all kids including teens get security bracelets when registered?

Do all kids including teens have monitors, etc. so parents can track them?

I understand that there are restrictions with No flip-flops or sandals. Are there any other clothing restrictions?

Is there a Kids Cafe and Cinema on board the Jewel?

Is it advantageous to purchase the kids beverage packages?

Can you make pre-sailing reservations at the time of final payment (april 2011) for shore excursions?

Does anyone have review of Dolphin Experience in the Bahamas? Is it worth the $$$?

Is it difficult to get onboard Entertainment reservations for July sailing?

Can you make pre-sailing reservations for shows at the time of final payment (april 2011)?

Is is appropriate to give the cabin steward a tip at the beginning of the sailing??

We are taking our very first cruise on NCL Jewel in July 2011 with our 7 kids/grandkids....Would any experienced cruisers who sailed on NCL Jewel let me know the following:

Do all kids including teens get security bracelets when registered?

Do all kids including teens have monitors, etc. so parents can track them?

I understand that there are restrictions with No flip-flops or sandals. Are there any other clothing restrictions?

Is there a Kids Cafe and Cinema on board the Jewel?

Is it advantageous to purchase the kids beverage packages?

Can you make pre-sailing reservations at the time of final payment (april 2011) for shore excursions?

Does anyone have review of Dolphin Experience in the Bahamas? Is it worth the $$$?

Is it difficult to get onboard Entertainment reservations for July sailing?

Can you make pre-sailing reservations for shows at the time of final payment (april 2011)?

Is is appropriate to give the cabin steward a tip at the beginning of the sailing??

You can find most of this information directly on NCL's webpage.

Kids 2-12 who are registered in the Kid's Crew receive a bracelet that has their muster station on it. You don't get a monitor. Only parents with children who may need a diaper change get a beeper. Flip flops are fine for the ship, they just aren't allowed in the kid's club.

Don't tip the steward at the beginning of the trip. You are having $12 per day added onto your account for each person for tips. It's up to you if you want to tip more, but if you choose to do this, save it for the end of the trip.

I think all Dolphin Experiences are a rip-off and I object to them in principle. To each his own. There is The Garden/Kid's Cafe. I don't know if the beverage package would be cost effective for you; you'd have to figure that out. I do not think there is any cinema on the Jewel. Log into "My NCL" to make reservations; I believe they open 45 days before sailing. However, I am not sure this is an option on the Jewel; you will have to check.

1. The younger kids get the bracelets, but not the teens.

2. There is no monitoring device where you can track the kids. No such thing as a lo-jack for kids. There is a beeper for those in diapers who are called to come and get the kid and change the diapers.

3. NCL is pretty much wear what you want, dress down cruise line. Of course you can wear grubby things like ratty shorts and bathing suits in the main dining room, but everything else seems to be fine on NCL, including sandals and flip flops.

4. Only you can decide if the soda package is worth it for your family. But if you kids drink a lot of soda, it's usually worth it.

5. You can book excursions either before you leave or right on board the ship.

6. What do you mean by on board entertainment reservations? I've never heard of having to reserve for the shows. You just show up, sit down and enjoy. The only show I've ever had to book ahead was the ice skating show on Royal Caribbean ships, but nothing on NCL.

7. You can pre-tip but hardly anyone does, and for some crew they may see this as an insulting bribe, saying they can't do their jobs unless you slip them money ahead of time. BTW, when you go to a nicer restaurant at home, do you tip your waiter before he brings your meal?

I do not know of sandal restrictions.....never heard of this. As far as tipping, I believe NCL has automatic tipping and if you are pleased with the service, you can give extra on the last day of the cruise. The shows do not require advance booking...just walk into the theater and sit down.

You might find more info on the NCL boards.

Archived