NCL SUN: view from Aft-facing balcony

Wingtips56

I'm thinking of upgrading to an aft-facing balcony on the Norwegian Sun, but am wondering if the view is really just straight back or if can you see somewhat from side-to-side from the central rooms. I'm thinking the partitions with the next balconies would limit to straight back only. I like to see the port when the ship is berthed on the appropriate side.

Also, does stuff blow down from the terrace dining area above?

Any tips from those who've been there?

Steve

We were in an aft AC on the Sun. Loved it. Try for deck nine. It's between pax decks. Although we were on the corner the folks next to us loved the view.

Oh, that's the Sun aft in my avatar.

We had 10668 on the Jewel and it is a beautiful view. Plus it's larger and we had 2 chairs and a lounger. We did get food from the ourdoor dining space but not too bad...I would not hesitate to book an aft again. Sorry I tried to upload some photos but I failed....ugh! I'm sure of you search this site you'll find lots of pictures of aft cabins. Donna

We sailed in 1202 around Cape Horn, booked the same for Western/Eastern in 2012 fabulous cabin and balcony.

Susan:)

I don't think the Sun stern (aft?) balconies are any larger than the side ones, which is why we opted for one of the two non-suite forward balconies, which is larger.

We've been in an aft minisuite on the Sun, and I think the dividers on that deck might not extend quite as far out as they do on the lower floors. Still, I'm not sure how much you're going to be able to see sideways from the interior of the cabin.

We never got anything blowing down to our deck from The Great Outdoors Cafe, and we were right under it.

We were in 9077, a regular sized stateroom. The view is great both back and to the sides. The side partitions are sloped so when you are by the rail, you can easily see both sides. As one earlier poster stated, when you are in the cabin, you will only see straight back, but that is the case in side balconies too. We were lucky enough to have some fellow CCers who were in an aft suite and those balconies are indeed much larger, but depending on your cruise, you may need to worry about how windy it might be. One of the great things about an aft in a cooler locale (we too were on a 'round the horn cruise) is that you don't get nearly the wind that you do anywhere else. The other nice thing about the aft balconies is that because of the slope of the rail, you get some extra squarefootage. We had enough room to have a chaise along with the standard 2 chairs and small table. Regarding things from above, we never had any food, but we did have soot one or two times when the wind was low and the ship was sailing slowly. Not a big deal, but we always put a beach towel on the chairs before sitting down.

• 9 months later...

Woozlebear

Would appreciate some help..

We are booked for Western Carribean in 1202 on Feb18, 2012..

When are you booked?

Do you have any pictures of the room?

We were on the Cape Horn cruise in May of 2010 in 8003 ..

Which date were you on?

de alias infant..

I'm thinking of upgrading to an aft-facing balcony on the Norwegian Sun, but am wondering if the view is really just straight back or if can you see somewhat from side-to-side from the central rooms. I'm thinking the partitions with the next balconies would limit to straight back only. I like to see the port when the ship is berthed on the appropriate side.

Also, does stuff blow down from the terrace dining area above?

Any tips from those who've been there?

Steve

We were on the Sun Nov. 2008 South America cruise and yes you will be able to see at the sides. here is a pic of the after look and see how the decks are tiered.

aft.jpg.dd19f8d86471be7897defbe0fae06e3d.jpg

@Steve -

We ALWAYS cruise in an aft cabin, mostly TAs. The shot below was taken off cabin 8278. We were anchored off-shore when a newcomer arrived, ready to drop the hook. Standing by the rail gives you a good chance to talk to your neighbors; however, we found that most folks are busy doing other things than sit on their balcony. In any case, standing at the rail gives you a panoramic view greater than 180º. When the ship swings at anchor, the aft cabins are straight downwind, and sometimes you may find a few flakes of engine soot on the balcony. They wipe off easily. When coming in to port, which is not too often on a TA, we tune the TV to the BowCam, so we can see what to expect a few minutes later off our balcony. It's the best seat in the house, see pic of Verazano Br.

368647879_SunStbdQtr.jpg.b6e2da7c6bbb71050393a94f0c9e5785.jpg

205109581_VerazanoBr.jpg.94275ba99900acf2ee506ec157940ffa.jpg

We were just in 0266 (booked as a BD - sad it's now a B1 and more expensive). We had great views both back and to the sides - especially when sitting or standing at the rail - it was nice, too, in the ports to be able to see more than just one side of the ship. We did get a little trash from above (a watermelon rind and a piece of lettuce), and we had a little soot - we just brushed the chairs off before sitting. With the bigger balcony, we also had two chairs, two loungers, and a small table! Our room was slightly smaller than regular balconies though - you can tell because the sofa is shorter, and the desk is shorter and doesn't have drawers. We did have a shimmy and shake in some ports - several reviews said that it was worse in the aft, but it didn't really bother us. We also heard chairs being moved above sometimes - the Great Outdoors cafe was one deck above. I loved it, but I'm not sure it's worth the extra money, especially if you are a light sleeper.

Id' post a pic, but I'm having issues :-(

We were on aft 0266 in January. The balcony is deepr than side balcony, thus two chaise lounges. Little or no issue with debris from above. A little soot but not much. The biggest advantages were being sheltered from the wind and the wonderful panoramic view. Great accomodations.

Thanks so much! We're in a 66 room this summer so it is great to see it. I love that there is enough room for lounge chairs! The soot is worse than I thought though. Does the steward come by to clean it?

• 3 months later...
Woozlebear

Would appreciate some help..

We are booked for Western Carribean in 1202 on Feb18, 2012..

When are you booked?

Do you have any pictures of the room?

We were on the Cape Horn cruise in May of 2010 in 8003 ..

Which date were you on?

de alias infant..

Hi Infant,

I was wondering if you have any pics of your suite 8003 from the NCL Sun cruise. We have booked 8203 for end of 2012 and I can't find a lot of pics for these suites. In particular the bathroom. Would love to find more. Can you help me? pretty please.

Tammy, aka travelingraysgirl

Archived