QM2 - Extra Baggage and Travel to NYC Question

CDN

Hi All,

Looking for a little advice from the collective wisdom that is CC!

I'm moving to the UK this coming September to begin graduate studies and, rather than jamming myself behind a plastic tray in a middle seat for 7 hours, convinced myself and my family that the QM2 TA was the only way to go (parents were regular travelers on the QM and QE2...somehow, they didn't seem to mind the idea :))

While I had hoped to take the train from Montreal to NYC for the sailing in Sept., Amtrak, in their infinite wisdom, no longer offers a baggage car on their Adirondack service. While not normally a problem, I had hoped to take down three to four pieces of luggage as this cruise is as much a residential shift as anything.

Has anyone here had any experience renting a vehicle from Ontario to NYC, for a one-way journey, who could shed some light on potential costs? And, while I have your attention, could anyone comment on the viability of a QM2 Britannia C3 cabin's ability to store more than four pieces of luggage (I will be traveling with my significant other)?

Any and all advice appreciated!

Regards,

-CDN

I suspect that international one way car rentals are very expensive. I would look into the bus as I believe they will allow four bags each. If not then friends who would jump at the chance of a "free" overnight in NYC in return for taking both of you and the 8 suitcases to the pier. You should plan on possibly using two different sizes of bag so once on board and unpacked you can nest the bags. They should fit under the beds.

For some reason Amtrak has very few baggage cars and even out of Boston to NYC and south there is only one car and that leaves at 9 pm at night. Same thing returning to Boston from NYC. This requires a return visit to Boston to retrieve checked luggage. One would think that frieght cars could be had and added to more trains to make travel a bit easier.

CDN Congrats on your educational pursuits. Suggestions: does your college offer shipping arrangements for your packages? Have you investigated rates from an international shipping agent such as DHL? Or perhaps talked with Cunard about White Star Service?

The train from Montreal is lovely, but PennyPocket made an excellent suggestion about having friends drive you to NY. Arrive a day early. Nice accomodations in NY or Brooklyn can be had, suitable for a Graduate Student's budget even :).

For what it's worth, my personal experience taking a bus from Montreal to NY was one of my least favourable travel memories. I'm sure you will find the best possible transport to take you to your new life as a graduate student. Again, congrats and best wishes.

Cheers,

Salacia

Many thanks to you both for the tips (Salacia, you're going to give me a swelled head :))! It looks like busing or bribing-friends may be the most economical ways of getting down south - fortunately, it appears Cunard has not skimped on the in-cabin storage space!

I suppose this is the Travel Gods reminding me who REALLY makes the plans!

Cheers,

-CDN

Try Jet Blue Fares are cheap I am taking 2 suitcases each We will have to pay for luggage20$ per extra bag but we are allowed carry on Call them to see about the rest and how much they would charge I saw a man board a golf bag you could put a person in call

1 800 jetblue

• 2 weeks later...

After much consideration, deliberation, consternation, and a few other rhyming verbs...the winner is Greyhound! Not my favourite mode of transportation, but it offers the most economical way of getting our luggage down to NYC - which at present is about two elephants short of Hannibal's Alps crossing!

On the plus side, we're going to push up our departure date and enjoy NYC a little more. It's a burden, but I think we'll manage :D

Thanks again to all for the advice!

-CDN

Archived