Kayaking anywhere other than Ketchikan?

famcruisefun

I have seen many recommendations for Orca Cove Kayaking in Ketchikan. We were set to do that while DH and DS went fishing, but now Ken at Northlights Charter (who seems like the best of the best from our phone conversations - thank you all who recommended him) has talked DD and I into joining the fishing. The only times available for Kayaking are 9 and noon and we are supposed to fish starting at 1:00. The 9am kayaking would be done at 1:00 - not sure I want to go that tight a schedule.

Any other reccomendations for kayaking in other ports? In Juneau we're doing glacier trek - but we have nothing planned for ISP or Skagway. Are either of these kayak-able?

Thanks for all the help - can't wait to meet all of the great people I;ve been talking with booking my excurisions!

Kelley

We did a kayaking trip in Skagway throught the ship. The ferry took us to Haines and we kayaked in Chilkoot lake. It was beautiful. To the right we had a mountain, green with melting snow and several waterfalls, At the back of the lake was a beautiful glacier. To the left and behind us was cedar forest. Spawning salmon were swiming up the creeks out of the lake. Changes of seeing bear to in the area. We were very pleased with the vendor

Deishu Expeditions http://www.seakayaks.com 1 800 552-9257. They also do river and ocean kayaking. The lunch was sandwiches which were very good.

We did another 8 hr trip with Discovery Adventure is Juneau. We paddled around the Spoon Islands and Auke Bay. It was a good trip to, but the Chilkoot lake kayaking was more scenic. Deishu had 3 man kayaks, Very long and stable. We only had 2 in each kayak. Good luck and when are you going to Alaska?

We're on Celebrity - Summit southbound. We will be in Seward - but just for the day the day of embarkation. I emailed Deishu Expeditions - but no luck - they are running the trip for Celebrity and suggested I book through the cruiseline - but I'm concerned that will be a huge group which is not what we're looking for. Does anyone have any experience with kayaking excurisions bought through Celebrity - how big a group? Any particular one that was good or bad? We're trying to book independant excursions this time to get smaller groups and a bit more personalized - any help would be great.

Thanks again!

Kelley

Archived