Best place to eat in Cozumel??

StacylShaw

There are several small authentic Mexican restaurants on the square, just a little bit north of Carlos n' Charlie's. The food in these places is amazing, and the prices are right. Much better (though of course more sedate and much less party-like) than the tourist traps.

I have to agree, the ship. This is a tourist town so you won't find a 'down home' meal at the restaurants

Depends on what you mean by "down home". You probably won't find meatloaf and mashed potatoes, but you most certainly can find good authentic Mexican food for a good price at restaurants in Cozumel. Just avoid the tourist traps.

FWIW, we never eat on board when we're at a port. What's the point in traveling if you're not going to get out, experience a taste of the local culture, and have a little adventure?

Best place to eat is on the ship..its free

I agree......we snorkel, hit the beach....eat some snacks....then head to Carlos n Charlies, perhaps some more snacks..but mostly drink, dance and revel...then back to Fat Tuesday's on the pier...snack...more drinks (catching a pattern here?) right up until we have to board...then snack...then nap.....then have a great MDR evening meal....LIFE IS GOOD>>

Mitch

Looking for restaurant in Cozumel for lunch.....near the port or maybe a place worth taking a taxi.

Thanks for your input!

Wife and I did Nacho Coomo (sp) last Saturday and for one price we had all the drinks we could handle, she had an excellent grilled chicken plate I had grilled Grouper, two appitizers, ect... then we layed on the beach while the waiter continued to put drinks in our hands!!!!

John

I have to agree, the ship. This is a tourist town so you won't find a 'down home' meal at the restaurants

What??? Down home??? I'm not looking for down home cooking. I don't get down to Mexico too often and would like to have some traditional Mexican cuisine.:)

Palmera's gets my vote. It is right on the square downtown and has huge margaritas. You only need one - trust me. It hits you about 5 minutes after you stand up. The waiters are wonderful - food is great - and a mariachi band comes by taking request to sing. We have been there many times and never disappointed.

Palmera's gets my vote. It is right on the square downtown and has huge margaritas. You only need one - trust me. It hits you about 5 minutes after you stand up. The waiters are wonderful - food is great - and a mariachi band comes by taking request to sing. We have been there many times and never disappointed.

Completely agree! If it was a party place, their 'ritas' would have everyone crawling out of the place. They are not just large and strong, they are made right and taste good. AS does the food. It IS a little spendy but it earns it with quality food and service.

We have been to Cozumel three times and have eaten at Poncho's Backyard (right at the port) every time. Great service & food. Enjoy!

We loved this place. Their guacamole is hands-down the best I've ever had. I've searched everywhere for one better (love the stuff) but have yet to succeed.

FWIW, we never eat on board when we're at a port. What's the point in traveling if you're not going to get out, experience a taste of the local culture, and have a little adventure?

I couldn't agree more. We always try to eat something that is local, or something that we couldn't get at home (conch fritters, for example, are unheard of in Oregon). I've yet to get sick, and have tried some very tastey things.

After reading over the last several months here on CC, we keep seeing about Pancho's Backyard & DH & I have figured we would try there. Good to see lots of recomendations posted here for it.

Downtown on the square, one of the al fresco restaurants is Plaza Leza - fabulous food and it always seems to be happy hour whenever we are there. DH and I usually spend several hours drinking and eating wonderful food and people watching. The waiters are terrific and never rush you. There are strolling minstrels that will stop and play a tune or two -- please tip them! I can't believe the ignorant people who have these guys play several tunes and they send them away without any tips. This is their livlihood. I can't tell you how many times we have eaten there because we have been going to Cozumel since 1996. Great food, clean restrooms, you can't miss having a great time there.

Archived