Best place to eat in Cozumel??

StacylShaw

Shop before you stop there!!!

A few years ago DW & I apparently did some shopping after a light lunch and several margaritas (grandes!) because the next morning we found 3 mexican blankets in our cabin.

Then we had to wait until the liquor delivery on the last night to fill out the custom tags as we knew we had made some purchases in the tequila store but didn't remember how much.:eek:

Since then our rule has been "No shopping after Pancho's"

The margaritas are truly the best ever.

Charlie

That is hilarious!!

Well so far Panchos is winning this debate!! Eating on the ship is definitely NOT an option for us. We love to eat authentic food when we travel the world!! Would be a disappointment to miss out on Mexican...one of my favorites anyways! Besides we'll be celebrating our 20th anniversary and want to enjoy every aspect of our upcoming trip.

Thank you kindly for all the replies and keep em coming! I have another 6 weeks to decide!;);)

Stacy

Agree with Pancho's Backyard. We always go to the one downtown at the end of the shopping street. Great food, great margaritas and a great marimba duo.

Dianne

we have only gone to the one downtown ourselves (many times and loved it) heard the pancho's at the other pier was not as good as downtown.

When I first started going to Cozumel to dive the DW and I could go out for dinner, have 2-3 drinks with dinner and eat dinner and pay around $40.00 for the both of us. When we were there in 2008 it was $40.00 per person. Back when we first started going there cruise ships called there about twice a week. Now in the winter and spring there are as many 5-7 ships a day there.

When I started going to Coz, there were no cruise ships, we paid $30 a night for a room on the plaza and never more than $10 a person for a meal with drink or two. Ah, the good old days. Nowadays, I still look for places off the beaten path, and they do exist. Plaza Leza, Las Palmeras & Cafe Denis are among my favorites, although Las Palmeras has gotten a little pricey.

Pancho's downtown gets the vote here. Good guacamole and their tamales are awesome.

When we were there last September, our server asked us if we'd been there before and we told him that was our fourth time there. Then, at the end of the meal, here comes a group of servers with a sign with "4" on it. They put the sign behind us and did a little "celebration", gave us a couple of tequila shots and a little ball of fried ice cream. It was really neat. Didn't happen in January of this year though.

Palmera's gets my vote. It is right on the square downtown and has huge margaritas. You only need one - trust me. It hits you about 5 minutes after you stand up. The waiters are wonderful - food is great - and a mariachi band comes by taking request to sing. We have been there many times and never disappointed.

I agree, the food was great and the margaritas while!:p

Palmera's gets my vote. It is right on the square downtown and has huge margaritas. You only need one - trust me. It hits you about 5 minutes after you stand up. The waiters are wonderful - food is great - and a mariachi band comes by taking request to sing. We have been there many times and never disappointed.

Finally, someone mentioned Palmeras! We were there a month ago for the 2nd time and it was great. Location and layout is super. Food was too.

In 2008 a guy came around and would take your picture and in a little bit he would come back with your photo on the front of a full bottle of Dos Equis. This year, they didn't know from this guy...oh well.

Everything else is the same though.

Finally, someone mentioned Palmeras! We were there a month ago for the 2nd time and it was great. Location and layout is super. Food was too.

In 2008 a guy came around and would take your picture and in a little bit he would come back with your photo on the front of a full bottle of Dos Equis. This year, they didn't know from this guy...oh well.

Everything else is the same though.

The simple solution:

2 Cruises to Coz. One to try Pancho's [downtown] and one to try Palmera's.

Both have good food and good 'rita's. Palmera's a tiny bit better. And Palmera's has the much more extensive menu. [and IS pricier]

You won't go wrong at either place!

Thanks to the OP for posting this question, I was wondering the same thing. Had been researching and found a place called La Choza that is suppose to be great....now I'm torn LOL

We have been to La Choza numerous times, great authentic food.

Cheers

Are there any decent restuarants near the pier right off the boat - where you don't have to go downtown?

you never know, your ship may actually be docked at downtown. 9 trips to cozumel and the last time was our first trip to international pier.

When I was a kid in west Texas, my Mom used to get hogshead tamales from this Mexican lady in town. Haven't had GOOD tamales since then. Am hoping to find some in Cozumel. Any suggestions?

We have been to La Choza numerous times, great authentic food.

Cheers

I forgot about La Choza--very good place. I've eaten at many "off the beaten path" places that were great over the years, but unfortunately don't remember the names.

When I was a kid in west Texas, my Mom used to get hogshead tamales from this Mexican lady in town. Haven't had GOOD tamales since then. Am hoping to find some in Cozumel. Any suggestions?

No foods anywhere will ever compare with childhood memories!

Didn't read through all the answers so don't know if this one was mentioned - can't remember the name. It is located far top right hand corner of the square as you face town - you have to go upstairs and you sit on an open air balcony. They automatically put a bowl of homemade triangle nachos and a bowl of what looked like a little bit runny salsa - the best I have ever tasted (nice and spicy). The food was awesome and the margarites were half the price of Carlo's & Charlies, Margaritaville etc and better. And just a side note - we went shopping about three or four blocks in and again - the same items were half the price. A little sketchy and I would not go alone but we had no problem.

Archived