Beijing Subway Stations - Elevators?

NAJNLA

We'll be taking the Airport Express train and then the subway from the airport to a hotel in the Wangfujing area of Beijing. We'll stay in Beijing for 5 nights and then will be taking the subway to Beijing South Station to catch a train to the port at Xingang. Since we plan to have 3 pieces of wheeled luggage and a backpack, we want to plan a route on the subway system so we can make transfers in stations that have elevators (or both up and down escalators) so we don't have to carry the luggage up or down long stairways.

We have heard that some of the the older subway stations on Line 1 and Line 2 may not have elevators (or both up and down escalators). The stations I have special interest in are: Xuanwumen, Xidan, Dongdan, Jianguomen, Guomao, Dongzhimen, Yonghegong, Chongwenmen, Dengshikou, and Sanyuanqiao.

Does anybody know of a link where I can find information about the availability of elevators or both up/down escalators in the various Beijing Subway Stations?

Thank you.:)

We'll be taking the Airport Express train and then the subway from the airport to a hotel in the Wangfujing area of Beijing. We'll stay in Beijing for 5 nights and then will be taking the subway to Beijing South Station to catch a train to the port at Xingang. Since we plan to have 3 pieces of wheeled luggage and a backpack, we want to plan a route on the subway system so we can make transfers in stations that have elevators (or both up and down escalators) so we don't have to carry the luggage up or down long stairways.

We have heard that some of the the older subway stations on Line 1 and Line 2 may not have elevators (or both up and down escalators). The stations I have special interest in are: Xuanwumen, Xidan, Dongdan, Jianguomen, Guomao, Dongzhimen, Yonghegong, Chongwenmen, Dengshikou, and Sanyuanqiao.

Does anybody know of a link where I can find information about the availability of elevators or both up/down escalators in the various Beijing Subway Stations?

Thank you.:)

If you took a taxi from the hotel to the train, it wouldn't cost much more than the subway, the taxi driver would handle your bags, the concierge could write instructions for the taxi driver as to where you want to go, you wouldn't have to schlep those bags all over trying to find an elevator, and you would arrive at the train station fresh and ready for your trip - rather than sweaty and stressed if you did it the other way.

Taxi from the airport to Wangfujing is about 100 RMB, about 16 USD. You will save about 60 RMB, about 9 USD if traveling by subway. It is your choice whether you want to save. I did it last time. It was fine but I only had one 25" luggage.

There always is elevator. If there is no elevator, there must be, as the case in every where in China, a cement slope for passengers to slide their luggages up and down. It requires skills and strength, so not an easy but a manageable task.

If you are a young backpacker traveling on a very tight budget but have lots of time and energy, go for it. If you are a middle aged traveler making a decent income and trying to save energy and time, taxi is the way to go.

T If there is no elevator, there must be, as the case in every where in China, a cement slope for passengers to slide their luggage up and down. It requires skills and strength, so not an easy but a manageable task.

Of course we are not "middle age" but in our 70s but I am familiar with the cement slope referred to in Hong Kong where we had to catch the airport bus to the hotel.

The slope is a bit steep and it does require strength to handle the bags - it can be almost a run away situation. If the slope is like that in Beijing or other Chinese cities, Peelboy's suggestion of letting the taxi driver handle it should be seriously considered.

Archived