Completely Confused about the Tips

Cool Waters

Will I get better service from my room steward if I slip him/her an extra $20 when we board?

On the overall thread of tipping: Please tip and tip well. It is a good thing to do. It brings happiness to others. :)

• 2 months later...
I forgot that I even started this thread, but I did want to say thank you for the responses. After being on the board for a little while longer, I think I now understand why you may tip upfront. As a new cruiser, it seemed odd to me that you would tip before you receive the services.

Thanks Again

Unless you have chosen to pre tip, you are NOT tipping before services are rendered.

Whether they add the auto tip on day 1, 2 or 7, you don't pay anything until your account is closed at the end of your sailing.

[quote name='Maple_Girl']Will I get better service from my room steward if I slip him/her an extra $20 when we board?

On the overall thread of tipping: Please tip and tip well. It is a good thing to do. It brings happiness to others. :)[/QUOTE]

How would you know. Any tip given before service received is a BRIBE.

[quote name='bitemyfly']LOl well I guess I prefer the bribe method ... Imho those bribes work.
I think there is a fair amount of people who stiff them . when they know who wont stiff them they are taken care of[/quote]

[B]This hasn't been my experience in 10 cruises. I now tip my room steward for any "extra" services that first day like changing the beds from one to two or putting ice in a cooler. Maybe $5. Then on the last day, I might leave him another $5 or 10. I also tip my waiter and assistant waiter about the same at the end of the cruise. Not much, just a little something extra in addition to my auto tips. When I first started cruising, I just paid the auto tips. I have always received the same, excellent service whether I tipped more or early. Now, maybe if I tipped $20 to my steward that first day I might get "better" service but I can't imagine getting better service from what I've always gotten, even without extra tips!
It's a matter of personal opinion whether and when to tip extra OR auto. My only advice is to always pay the auto as I agree with the other posters that it's a "service charge" and not a tip.

[/B]

During our last cruise we set up the auto tipping, at the end of the cruise we didn't leave the envelope on the bed as we would normally do. So as we were leaving our deck our cabin steward stopped my husband and asked him did he forget to leave his tip? My husband told him "no we did auto tipping". THe cabin steward said very loud "YEAH RIGHT''!:eek: I was upset that he did that, but I went to the desk to double check that everyone was covered with the tipping system. I was told everyone would get their tip at the end of that day. My husband went all the way back to our cabin and told the steward he would get his tip at the end of the day.
:mad:The steward said "What ever, if I ever see it". I don't know what he meant by that? If he was saying we didn't tip him or if Carnival won't give the money up????
From now on I will do my own tipping, I will pass out the envelope myself to make sure everyone gets tipped.

:confused:Its funny how the steward went from being our bestfriend one night and turn into a jerk the next. (I wonder which is his real personality)

[quote name='Cina409']
From now on I will do my own tipping, I will pass out the envelope myself to make sure everyone gets tipped.

:confused:Its funny how the steward went from being our bestfriend one night and turn into a jerk the next. (I wonder which is his real personality)[/QUOTE]

Acting like that, my bets on Jerk.

I can see both sides of auto-tipping vs. handing cash to the people that made YOUR trip special. But, when you give money directly to the people that you think made your vacation wonderful you are leaving out the people who were behind the scenes working as hard as they possibly could to make sure your experience was flawless.

One think that we have done in the past is lowered the auto tips slightly and given our steward as well as our head waiter and assistant waiter some extra cash. I'm not sure what is the best way is and we have done it several different ways. I almost wish Carnival just built the tips into the cost of the cruise upfront. But they wouldn't be the most affordable when you look at the initial cost of the cruise :-/

I just think if you can;t afford to tip you don't go out to eat and if you can't afford the gratuities on the cruise then you don't go on vacation.

[quote name='Cina409']During our last cruise we set up the auto tipping, at the end of the cruise we didn't leave the envelope on the bed as we would normally do. So as we were leaving our deck our cabin steward stopped my husband and asked him did he forget to leave his tip? My husband told him "no we did auto tipping". THe cabin steward said very loud "YEAH RIGHT''!:eek: I was upset that he did that, but I went to the desk to double check that everyone was covered with the tipping system. I was told everyone would get their tip at the end of that day. My husband went all the way back to our cabin and told the steward he would get his tip at the end of the day.
:mad:The steward said "What ever, if I ever see it". I don't know what he meant by that? If he was saying we didn't tip him or if Carnival won't give the money up????

:confused:Its funny how the steward went from being our bestfriend one night and turn into a jerk the next. (I wonder which is his real personality)[/QUOTE]

how long ago was that cruise? I can't remember the last time CCL handed out envelopes for tipping other then the Maitre'd.:confused:

That's pretty arroganr , the steward confronting you about the tips.:eek:

Bill

Bill

"The bottom line is that anyone who can not afford the tips ... should not book a cruise."

Who gave you the right to judge others? The FACT is that tips are NOT a requirement and cruisers may choose to reduce and/or remove them just as stated on the Carnival website.

Read the other thread on this page on Carnival tipping to see the same debate, the same one that has been debated for years and will continue to be with insults and all.

Bottom line is if people choose to tip or not to tip it is their choice and nobody's business but theirs!

What you believe or don't believe is simply that - what you believe. It doesn't mean you have the right to insult or try to push that on others or tell others they have to stay home if they don't tip!

Do you tell people to stay home and not cruise if they stink, or you don't like what they wear to dinner, or they are too tall or fat to meet your standards or maybe they shouldn't cruise if they avoid BINGO because to you that would be stupid.

I find it amusing (and alarming) that people have so little to worry about (or do) that they will actually take the time to tell people they need to stay home if they are too short on cash to give the suggested tipping amount!

On a side note - a few cruises ago we had a cabin next to a honeymoon couple which we met the first day as our balconies were next to each other. Anyway after that, we never saw them again as they never left their cabin! The steart told us they only asked for fresh towels and ice to be brought to the room at 5 nightly and they only ordered room service. Since I am assuming they tipped the room service guy each time and the room stewards never cleaned their room, would they still be required to pay the full amount of tips?

[quote name='Clt9488']I can see both sides of auto-tipping vs. handing cash to the people that made YOUR trip special. But, when you give money directly to the people that you think made your vacation wonderful [COLOR=red]you are leaving out the people who were behind the scenes working as hard as they possibly could to make sure your experience was flawless. [/COLOR]

One think that we have done in the past is lowered the auto tips slightly and given our steward as well as our head waiter and assistant waiter some extra cash. I'm not sure what is the best way is and we have done it several different ways. I almost wish Carnival just built the tips into the cost of the cruise upfront. But they wouldn't be the most affordable when you look at the initial cost of the cruise :-/

I just think if you can;t afford to tip you don't go out to eat and if you can't afford the gratuities on the cruise then you don't go on vacation.[/quote]

Huh?

[quote name='herewego']"The bottom line is that anyone who can not afford the tips ... should not book a cruise."

Who gave you the right to judge others? The FACT is that tips are NOT a requirement and cruisers may choose to reduce and/or remove them just as stated on the Carnival website.

Read the other thread on this page on Carnival tipping to see the same debate, the same one that has been debated for years and will continue to be with insults and all.

Bottom line is if people choose to tip or not to tip it is their choice and nobody's business but theirs!

What you believe or don't believe is simply that - what you believe. It doesn't mean you have the right to insult or try to push that on others or tell others they have to stay home if they don't tip!

Do you tell people to stay home and not cruise if they stink, or you don't like what they wear to dinner, or they are too tall or fat to meet your standards or maybe they shouldn't cruise if they avoid BINGO because to you that would be stupid.

I find it amusing (and alarming) that people have so little to worry about (or do) that they will actually take the time to tell people they need to stay home if they are too short on cash to give the suggested tipping amount!

On a side note - a few cruises ago we had a cabin next to a honeymoon couple which we met the first day as our balconies were next to each other. Anyway after that, we never saw them again as they never left their cabin! The steart told us they only asked for fresh towels and ice to be brought to the room at 5 nightly and they only ordered room service. Since I am assuming they tipped the room service guy each time and the room stewards never cleaned their room, would they still be required to pay the full amount of tips?[/QUOTE]

is there anyone in particular that you are responding to? With 60+ responses it is hard to follow without a quote.

Bill

[quote name='Zambini']Adjust them if you like, I do it all the time and pay cash on the spot for service.

I often eat ashore and don't tip for the dining service for that meal, no big deal.[/QUOTE]

Thats a Great Idea! Never thought of that.

[quote name='Cina409']During our last cruise we set up the auto tipping, at the end of the cruise we didn't leave the envelope on the bed as we would normally do. So as we were leaving our deck our cabin steward stopped my husband and asked him did he forget to leave his tip? My husband told him "no we did auto tipping". THe cabin steward said very loud "YEAH RIGHT''!:eek: I was upset that he did that, but I went to the desk to double check that everyone was covered with the tipping system. I was told everyone would get their tip at the end of that day. My husband went all the way back to our cabin and told the steward he would get his tip at the end of the day.

:confused:Its funny how the steward went from being our bestfriend one night and turn into a jerk the next. (I wonder which is his real personality)[/quote]
sorry to have to break this to you....but he was never your best friend. But you knew that anyway.;) Jerk....yep I agree he was being one and obviously he had other issues to contend with....be it Carnival or other pax stiffing him. Either way, you did what you needed to do.

We always tip an extra 20 or 30 to the steward and 20 to the head waiter and 10 to the asst. waiter. I small potatoes in the scheme of things.

Never ever tip ahead of time....that is not our style.....we don't even think of it as a practice.......we don't need the glory of it. That how we see it.

I personally think he had a hell of alot of nerve. What a jerk. After that comment I would have went to the pursur desk, complained about his rude comment then had his tip removed. I personally would have went back to the cabin and told him what I did due to his arrogant behavior.

[quote name='S.S.Oceanlover']how long ago was that cruise? I can't remember the last time CCL handed out envelopes for tipping other then the Maitre'd.:confused:

That's pretty arroganr , the steward confronting you about the tips.:eek:

Bill

Bill[/QUOTE]

---I agree with you Bill until I sailed last year, envelopes were placed in our room prior to dinner on the last night. (I was quite surprised myself since we auto tip).

Archived