Completely Confused about the Tips

Cool Waters

September will be my very 1st cruise and I am completely confused about the tips. Why do you tip before you receive the service? I always tip b/c I myself was a waitress for a long time so I understand why it is important. I think the suggested tips are absolutely fair and reasonable for a 7 days cruise, but why do people tip before they have actually received the service?

To me...never having cruised before, I look at this like hotel and restaurant staff. I tip the cleaning crew at the end of my stay based on the service and at the restaurant, I tip my waiter at the end of my meal. How do you know you will get good services if you give them the tip first. Isn't that a gamble? And if you receive bad service, do you ask for it back?? Cause I'm sure they wouldn't give it back.

Some past cruisers told me on their cruise, they handed out envelopes at the end of the cruise for you to tip everyone. This is what I thought was still going to happen, but now I am hearing they offer pre-paid gratuities or adding it to your account before you even set sail.

Is there a difference in service either way?

September will be my very 1st cruise and I am completely confused about the tips. Why do you tip before you receive the service? I always tip b/c I myself was a waitress for a long time so I understand why it is important. I think the suggested tips are absolutely fair and reasonable for a 7 days cruise, but why do people tip before they have actually received the service?

To me...never having cruised before, I look at this like hotel and restaurant staff. I tip the cleaning crew at the end of my stay based on the service and at the restaurant, I tip my waiter at the end of my meal. How do you know you will get good services if you give them the tip first. Isn't that a gamble? And if you receive bad service, do you ask for it back?? Cause I'm sure they wouldn't give it back.

Some past cruisers told me on their cruise, they handed out envelopes at the end of the cruise for you to tip everyone. This is what I thought was still going to happen, but now I am hearing they offer pre-paid gratuities or adding it to your account before you even set sail.

This is a personal preference for most.. I personally leave the tips on my SS card and pay after.. you are allowed at anytime to remove the tips if you find the service unsatisfactory.. you can also tip extra with cash at the end to your head waiter.. m'd.. or favourite bartender..

If you pre pay your tips before you cruise.. you can not remove them..

I have heard there can be a difference if you remove them prior.. but I have never experienced this;)

Service should be the same either way.

Don't think of it as pre-paying your tips (talking about the auto-tipping) since they are just added to your account but you don't actually pay them until the end.

Think of a restaurant's policy about adding a tip to parties of 8 or more. You know they are there but you don't pay them until you get the check.

And yes, you can adjust the auto tips before you pay them.

This is why I do not like calling the $10 per person per day a TIP....because it really is not "by the true definition of the word".

Cruise lines (not just Carnival) have set up this method of the passengers paying their housekeeping and wait staff salary.

So, what you are truly paying is a service surcharge.

The cruise lines don't just put it in the cost of the cruise because they want to keep their "advertised" rates as low as possible to lure folks into cruising with them.

When someone books a cruise, they should do so with the understanding that the $10 per person per day is the SALARY for those employees.

Not just an extra "bonus" for doing a good job.

Now personally, I don't like the way the cruise lines do this....but as long as this is the way it is handled....then (IMHO) folks should pay it if they want to cruise.

If you pre pay your tips before you cruise.. you can not remove them..s;)

Actually the FAQs say you can remove prepaid tips and adjust them too.

Iv never adjusted tips, but you can do that will all tips, if you believe Carnival.

Actually the FAQs say you can remove prepaid tips and adjust them too.

Iv never adjusted tips, but you can do that will all tips, if you believe Carnival.

Maybe that is new.. or I read something that said you couldnt.. oh well that is good to know.. never adjusted ours either;)

Carnival automatically adds the gratuities to your S&S account the first day of the cruise. It is $10 per person per day...$5.50 to dining room waiter & assistant, $3.50 to cabin steward & assistant, $1.00 to Lido dining personnel & misc.

You are allowed to remove or reduce or increase the amount of the tips by going to the Purser's desk. Personally, I feel that the amounts are fine and I like to just leave them on my account...easy peasy. But, if for some reason you do not wish to leave them on....they will adjust them for you.

The only envelope you get at the end of the cruise is one for the Maitre D'. I don't feel the need to tip the Maitre D' unless he does something extra for me, which has never happened, or if he is especially friendly or attentive, which has happened once in 4 cruises. That is a personal decision, though. You are not required to tip him but may do so if you wish.

If you use room service, a dollar to two to the delivery person is nice. Some like to tip the bartenders/servers extra....a 15% gratuity is automatically added to all beverages purchased.

You can adjust the tips at anytime on your cruise. I had to adjusted my cabin room tip only once because his service was terrible. I'm a early riser and some days the bed wasn't never made, I had to requested towels and so on.

There isn't a difference in service. And they don't get the tips first -- it will come to them as part of their pay. Depending on the pay cycle and when you actually cruise, your tip may get directly to the exact staff who have served you...or the service charge that was charged to the last passengers may be in their check.

What has happened in the past on cruises is that people have not paid tips to their servers (room attendants, and/or waiters), even when handed envelopes at the end of the cruise. The passengers said that they would..but didn't. And so the waiters and stewards worked hard, and weren't compensated accordingly.

You've been a waitress -- you know that a large part of your income came in tips. If you got "stiffed", it really affected the amount of $$ you took home at the end of the week.

With the auto-tip -- think of it as a "service charge" -- the servers are guaranteed that they will get at least a minimum amount of $$ from every passenger. The service charge is only (on average - -it varies slightly by company) $10 a day -- which covers 3 meals a day "tip" for the waiter(s) and assistant waiter, room steward and assistant steward (who will service your room usually at least 2 times a day), assorted other kitchen works, including your waiters, who tend to the buffet and other dining venues, etc. So it only comes to less than a few dollars a person per day; and for some of the staff, only cents a day. So even if you DO feel like this is "paid in advance", and "what happens if they do a bad job", if you do the math, you're really not "out" that much.

You're certainly welcomed to tip additionally, if you wish. If someone does a really exemplary job, goes out of his way to meet your expectations or wishes, then you can leave additional money, or give the person additional money at the end of the cruise. But this is not necessary, especially if you leave the auto-tip (service charge) in place.

I think you'll be impressed with the attention and care you'll get on a cruise ship, regardless of whether you tip or not, leave the service charge in place or not (and yes, it can be removed...but you'll be questioned about why, and asked if they can have a chance to improve their service, before they'll just do it), and after your first cruise, this will no longer be an issue.

The $10 PP PD is added to your S&S card but you don't pay it until the last

day.

At your option, you can remove part or all of it or add more toward it at

guest services.

You will find that the staff on the ship earns every cent of the 'tip'

While some folks have very strong opinions that you should not touch the

tips. Others feel that you can remove parts of it and pay cash to the waiters,

stewards, etc. It is up to you on what you feel is best.

In all of our cruises I only once felt the steward did not earn his tips.

Everytime besides that I have given additional cash to the steward, assistance

steward, waiters, assistance waiters, camp carnival staff.

We do the prepaid.

It helps keep the S&S bill lower at the end.

Even without the "exceptional" service everyone talks about

they have earned it.

The $10 PP PD is added to your S&S card but you don't pay it until the last

day.

At your option, you can remove part or all of it or add more toward it at

guest services.

You will find that the staff on the ship earns every cent of the 'tip'

While some folks have very strong opinions that you should not touch the

tips. Others feel that you can remove parts of it and pay cash to the waiters,

stewards, etc. It is up to you on what you feel is best.

In all of our cruises I only once felt the steward did not earn his tips.

Everytime besides that I have given additional cash to the steward, assistance

steward, waiters, assistance waiters, camp carnival staff.

The real reason why some people remove the automatic tips from their Sail and Sign cards it that they are cheap and take it out on the stewards and wait staff. That is it, pure and simple. Average service on a cruise ship is much better than service you are apt to find in a hotel or restaurant on shore. We will add a cash tip at the end of the cruise for stewards and/or wait staff that has been outstanding. We usually do this as most of our waiters and stewards have deserved this additional tip.

Doc

Since we are on the subject of tipping. When u buy a drink from a waiter and they add the tip does that tip go directly to them or is it put into a collective pot and distributed evenl among the staff?

I have never specifically asked a waiter...but I do remember having a conversation with a bar waiter.

He said that he loved working the karaoke lounge because he made really good tips and hated working the Main Dining Room because the tips were less.

So ... to me, that would indicate they get what they generate????

There is no difference if you tip in cash at the end, or leave the auto-tip...Carnival switched to the auto-tip, as so many folks were NOT tipping either at all, or even the suggested amounts....

Personally, I think they should just include the "suggested" tips into the fare, and specifically tell folks that NO tipping is needed...it sure would clear up alot of confusion for folks!

Since we are on the subject of tipping. When u buy a drink from a waiter and they add the tip does that tip go directly to them or is it put into a collective pot and distributed evenl among the staff?

bar tips on the slip that you sign are distributed among the bar tender and servers. I don't know the percentages, though.

If you give a server or bartender a tip in addition to what you've signed for, they can keep it.

There isn't a difference in service. And they don't get the tips first -- it will come to them as part of their pay. Depending on the pay cycle and when you actually cruise, your tip may get directly to the exact staff who have served you...or the service charge that was charged to the last passengers may be in their check.

What has happened in the past on cruises is that people have not paid tips to their servers (room attendants, and/or waiters), even when handed envelopes at the end of the cruise. The passengers said that they would..but didn't. And so the waiters and stewards worked hard, and weren't compensated accordingly.

You've been a waitress -- you know that a large part of your income came in tips. If you got "stiffed", it really affected the amount of $$ you took home at the end of the week.

With the auto-tip -- think of it as a "service charge" -- the servers are guaranteed that they will get at least a minimum amount of $$ from every passenger. The service charge is only (on average - -it varies slightly by company) $10 a day -- which covers 3 meals a day "tip" for the waiter(s) and assistant waiter, room steward and assistant steward (who will service your room usually at least 2 times a day), assorted other kitchen works, including your waiters, who tend to the buffet and other dining venues, etc. So it only comes to less than a few dollars a person per day; and for some of the staff, only cents a day. So even if you DO feel like this is "paid in advance", and "what happens if they do a bad job", if you do the math, you're really not "out" that much.

You're certainly welcomed to tip additionally, if you wish. If someone does a really exemplary job, goes out of his way to meet your expectations or wishes, then you can leave additional money, or give the person additional money at the end of the cruise. But this is not necessary, especially if you leave the auto-tip (service charge) in place.

I think you'll be impressed with the attention and care you'll get on a cruise ship, regardless of whether you tip or not, leave the service charge in place or not (and yes, it can be removed...but you'll be questioned about why, and asked if they can have a chance to improve their service, before they'll just do it), and after your first cruise, this will no longer be an issue.

What a great response to the op post. Very clear and easy to understand.

Can you adjust how the tips are distributed or can you reduce some and then tip others extra. I'm looking at a family cruise and while I understand you pay tips for adults and children, it is possible the services received or services used may be different for the kids. For example if the kids never use the main dining room but you want to give more to other servers in the buffet.

I'm used to paying as I go, mostly because I like to be sure that the person who serves me is the one who gets the tip. Are the staff allowed to pocket "extra" tips or does that go into the pool too? We are good tippers, and I'd prefer to know that the person who takes care of my room or serves my dinner is the one getting the tip. Is this OK on a cruise?

I'm looking at a family cruise and while I understand you pay tips for adults and children, it is possible the services received or services used may be different for the kids. For example if the kids never use the main dining room but you want to give more to other servers in the buffet.

I have always been told that you should still tip the dining room waiters even if you never enter the dining room. Why? Because the same wait staff is working in other parts of the ship during the times the dining room is closed. You'll see them at the buffet, grill, etc. and you'll receive no tip envelopes that address these sections.

I'm not sure how I feel about the auto tips. Tips for our upcomming cruise will be $320. That's a big chunck of change.

Do the math. How much would you tip for 3 meals a day, cleaning your room twice a day, for each day of your cruise?. Just that (when in fact there are more service workers that benefit from the tipping). $10 is pretty measly to me, and I live in the rather penny-pinching midwest. Yet $10 per person per day (on average) is all that is expected. Consider it part of the cost of your otherwise inexpensive cruise.

Archived