Formal nights on the Celebrity Summit

mbcruisers

Can a female get away with palazoo pants and a blouse on formal night or is that to informal? Ive cruised over 20 times and have everything in my closet but it seems to me i over dress and that formal nights have really become more casual. Its been 8 yrs since ive been on celebrity back then even casual nights were formal. We are going on the Summit out of Puerto Rico 7 night cruise. Please Help!!!!!

mbcruisers,

In my opinion, palazzo pants and a fancy blouse would be fine. Over the years, I've noticed that formal night, while still a "dressy" night, seems to be less "dressy" than it used to be. A sign of the times, I believe.

jcpc

Wow, 'we' usually wait for a few posts before the 'what to wear' threads turn rude - not the next one! Now, since youve asked the question because you haven't cruised on 'X' for 8 years (makes sense to ask considering the change in guidelines), here is another opinion: My wife wears what I've called 'Sparkly or Classy Chicos' and other times Cocktail Dresses. We've quit with the true Formal Gowns (at least she has - I never took those up). I word Tux and probably would on shorter cruises, now I go with nice suits that give me more flexibility - may do Tux on a 7-day just to do it.

Hope that helps. It's unfortunate posters feel that must overreact or be rude....since we aren't face-face, some people 'enjoy' that. And I'm sure they are 'happy'....to bad someone feels being rude makes them 'happy'.

Enjoy your cruise. Welcome back - this is my favorite Line, meets our Niche right now.

By the way, I couldn't give my opinon on 'palazzo' pants since I thought that word was Italian for a square or balony!! Hey, just 'Googled' it and those look neat. My wife has also worn nice pants suits and those 'fluffy' pants before. I'll impress her by calling them that next time!

Denny

mbcruisers,

In my opinion, palazzo pants and a fancy blouse would be fine. Over the years, I've noticed that formal night, while still a "dressy" night, seems to be less "dressy" than it used to be. A sign of the times, I believe.

jcpc

Thanks for your opinion i really appreciate it!!!

Wow, 'we' usually wait for a few posts before the 'what to wear' threads turn rude - not the next one! Now, since youve asked the question because you haven't cruised on 'X' for 8 years (makes sense to ask considering the change in guidelines), here is another opinion: My wife wears what I've called 'Sparkly or Classy Chicos' and other times Cocktail Dresses. We've quit with the true Formal Gowns (at least she has - I never took those up). I word Tux and probably would on shorter cruises, now I go with nice suits that give me more flexibility - may do Tux on a 7-day just to do it.

Hope that helps. It's unfortunate posters feel that must overreact or be rude....since we aren't face-face, some people 'enjoy' that. And I'm sure they are 'happy'....to bad someone feels being rude makes them 'happy'.

Enjoy your cruise. Welcome back - this is my favorite Line, meets our Niche right now.

By the way, I couldn't give my opinon on 'palazzo' pants since I thought that word was Italian for a square or balony!!

Denny

Thanks for the input i really appreciate it since its been a while since ive been on celebrity. Also thanks for defending me. I guess theres a lot of rude people out there.

Thanks for the input i really appreciate it since its been a while since ive been on celebrity. Also thanks for defending me. I guess theres a lot of rude people out there.

Not a lot really. I enjoy this forum (as you can see!) and there seems to be a few who go around posting edgy and rude posts - seems to be the same ones sometimes. I've had to go back and appologize for a post when I realized how it was taken or I got 'too cute'...even asked (using the Alert Triangle at the top right) ones to be removed.

Denny

Hi, just curious, which sailing are you cruising on? We are cruising out of San Juan on the Summit November 13th.

Enjoy your cruise and palazzo pants are perfect for formal night with Celebrity!

Jan 8th. Hope you have a great time on your cruise!!!!

I TRULY do not understand why people are so obsessed about what they are wearing. I juist HATE when people need to meet a certain criteria to feel like they belong or not.

Where are you reading this? How can you possibly interpret this from the OP's posts??? :confused: :rolleyes:

I was not being rude. I TRULY do not understand why people are so obsessed about what they are wearing. If you read my post, you will understand what I am saying. I juist HATE when people need to meet a certain criteria to feel like they belong or not. I do NOT want you going to the buffet if you are feeling like you are under dressed. I WANT you there regardless of how you are dressed!!!!!

I agree that posts can be misinterpreted, mine have, but so you understand what I meant by rude, the OP asked about a specific outfit to see if that worked..you responded with 'why are people so hung up', then with a more rude comment that you know what to wear. I know, the OP 'deserved it'.

But your posts are rude. Not enough to get flagged, but not nice at all.

Sometimes even when you weren't trying to be rude and still don't see it as rude, its a good thing to appologize for a post which is negatively received instead of continuing with the "I'm right and youre wrong".

And as to what to wear and asking about it - when we are invited to a social event, if dress isn't specified, I know my wife may ask friends what they are wearing, heck she does that when it is specificed and general.

I'll disagree with the poster's point that one should not miss out on dining in the MDR because of what they want to or not want to wear. My pesonal view is the dress codes are very general. But that is a personal opinion. Dress is each person's decision...I know: not enough baggage room, cost of extra bags, I wear it at work, I'm on my vacation. Great...wear what you wish, and enjoy the many options that are in line with what you want to wear.

Denny

Can a female get away with palazoo pants and a blouse on formal night or is that to informal? Ive cruised over 20 times and have everything in my closet but it seems to me i over dress and that formal nights have really become more casual. Its been 8 yrs since ive been on celebrity back then even casual nights were formal. We are going on the Summit out of Puerto Rico 7 night cruise. Please Help!!!!!

I'm sure you'll be fine.

There might be some people more dressed up than you, but many will be in the same level (nice pants, nice top), even for formal.

When we sailed the Summit everyone was very nicely dressed, saw many dresses, but not many of the 'very' formal gown type.. I guess most people don't want to carry so much luggage these days?

I personally enjoy dressing up, but not so much when on vacation. For me a nice dress (nothing too sparkly), or nice pants/top work perfectly.

You could wear those pants both formal nights with different tops and be fine. We are just off the Summit. It's not nearly as formal as it once was.

And I know you didn't ask but don't forget the alternative dining up at the back of the buffet which is set up nicely in the evening. It is always smart casual and very good if you decide you don't want to do second formal night. A $2. tip is required.

Just got off of Summit this morning.

Had 6:00 seating and I would say less than 10% of men had on tuxedos or dinner jackets - all the rest had on dark suits. Very few women had on long dresses - most were just dressed with pants and bling top or a dress - just looked nicer. We stayed in these clothes until after theater and then changed into khakis and nice shirt ( with collar and sleeves) for after theater time - never felt underdressed although some did stay dressed up but we didn't.

Archived