to Pompeii with taxi

sealy street

Just wanted to give info: we just returned from 10 night Equinox Eastern Med. We had originally planned to take a taxi to the Circumvusiana train station from the ship's dock. But as we were walking to the taxi - he offered to take us (4 of us - 2 couples) Pompeii for 90 euros. At first we said no - just to the station, but as we were walking to the taxi my husband did some math;10 euros ea way -taxi; 11 euros p/p ea way- train; 20 + 88=108 euros vs. 90 euros. We divided that between 2 couples, saved a little & no hassle. He waited for us 3 hours in Pompeii ( which was a good amount of time) saw 3/4 ( how AMAZING it was!) of it and we were ready to head back!! Just wanted to give another option!

my husband did some math;10 euros ea way -taxi; 11 euros p/p ea way- train; 20 + 88=108 euros vs. 90 euros.

Did the taxi driver tell you that the Circumvesuviana train would cost 11 euros per person each way? I thought it was closer to 2.5 euros/pp each way.

my husband did some math;10 euros ea way -taxi; 11 euros p/p ea way- train; 20 + 88=108 euros vs. 90 euros.

As the previous poster pointed out, the problem with your husband's math is the train ticket cost. A round trip ticket (actually, it's a full day ticket) costs just under 5 Euro on weekdays, and just under 4 Euro on the weekends. It's the Unico Campania U3 ticket.

Therefore, the actual math is 20 Euro for taxis to and from the port and train station, plus four times 5, or just under 40 Euro total vs. 90.

However, you had a great day, and that's what is important, right?

:( Oh mygosh guys!!! Do you know what I did?! Here I thought I would be giving some good info to my my dear Cruise critic friends and as always you guys helped ME! I gave my poor DH the wrong info - I read my notes (which I dutifully copied from these boards) wrong. I gave him the price of the entrance tickets in place of the train price! But you know what - eurocruiser, youwere correct the main thing is we had a great day! And it probably worked out for the best because my BIL would not have liked "the hassle" (in his eyes) of the train. I just want to apologize to these boards for "wrong" information. Because I love Cruise Critic and all the generous info so freely given. Thank you!! And I'm sorry!

No problem SealyStreet ... I thought maybe that the taxi driver was trying to pull a fast one.;)

Actually I was impressed with the cost of the taxi considering that he took you there and back and waited 3 hours for you. Pre-booking a driver is much more expensive than that (although they do give you some commentary along the way), so I think you did very well.:)

Monica, you really did get a deal, because the published pre-set fare for a round trip taxi from Naples to Pompei is 90 Euro, but that fare only allows for a two hour stop at Pompei. So, since he waited three hours for you, you did better than the set rate.

hmmm.... it's 10 euros to get to the train station from the port??? we wanted to do pompei on our own ( hoping to get a guide once there).... how easy will that be? Heard in summer months its hard to walk to train station. HOT.

hmmm.... it's 10 euros to get to the train station from the port??? we wanted to do pompei on our own ( hoping to get a guide once there).... how easy will that be? Heard in summer months its hard to walk to train station. HOT.

It is not 10 euros to get to the train station from the port if you ride the bus or tram. You can buy ONE ticket, get on either the bus or tram, and ride it to the train station. That same ticket is good for your train ride as well.

I think someone got sold a bill of goods....:rolleyes:

Did he :eek:

No...the OP responded to my question asking if it was the taxi driver who told them "11 euros each way for the train" ... see post #4.:)

No...the OP responded to my question asking if it was the taxi driver who told them "11 euros each way for the train" ... see post #4.:)

Yes, but I was talking about the taxi ride to the station from the port, not the train ticket cost.

There's no need to take a taxi when the bus or tram ride is included in your ticket cost for the train. ;)

Yes, but I was talking about the taxi ride to the station from the port, not the train ticket cost.

There's no need to take a taxi when the bus or tram ride is included in your ticket cost for the train. ;)

I agree that I would take a bus vs. taxi, but it's not uncommon to read on this forum that a short taxi ride in Italy is very expensive, eg. Civitavecchia port entrance to train station, Sorrento port up to Piazza Tasso.

If traveling on my own, I would probably take the bus/tram from port to the Circumvesuviana train station. But, last summer, traveling with senior citizen parents, it was less stress to take a taxi from the port to the train station (once we found one who would actually take us -- they all wanted to take us clear to Pompeii). I certainly don't regret paying 10 euro for the short trip to the station for 3 of us. It was also 10 euro to get us back. Sometime's it's just better to spend the money. While it certainly can be walked as some have indicated on here, as hot as it was in July of last year, I would not have wanted to add that on top of the rest of the logistics. Maybe in the cooler months.

Using the Circumvesuviana train was very easy and inexpensive. They aren't glamorous trains -- more like a New York Subway train. But they take you right to the Pompeii site.

• 1 month later...
It is not 10 euros to get to the train station from the port if you ride the bus or tram. You can buy ONE ticket, get on either the bus or tram, and ride it to the train station. That same ticket is good for your train ride as well.

Where is the bus/tram to the train station to go to pompei? We are debating either the train or the SITA bus and if it's easy to walk to the tram, get dropped at the train station and get on the train to pompeii we might do that. I am still confused on the SITA bus to be honest. I feel like an idiot.

Where is the bus/tram to the train station to go to pompei? We are debating either the train or the SITA bus and if it's easy to walk to the tram, get dropped at the train station and get on the train to pompeii we might do that. I am still confused on the SITA bus to be honest. I feel like an idiot.

Here is a link to a post I did with detailed directions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=24188132&postcount=11

Archived