Swine flu injection

Drelix

Has anyone got this just to be sure you dont get it on the cruise?

Also has there been any outbreaks that you guys know about on cruise ships this year ?

also all thoughts on this cause i am contemplating getting it or not ?

Has anyone got this just to be sure you dont get it on the cruise?

Also has there been any outbreaks that you guys know about on cruise ships this year ?

also all thoughts on this cause i am contemplating getting it or not ?

Hi Drelix, we got the jab before going to NZ in Feb - not because we were worried about getting the flu, but so we could produce a certificate if there was an outbreak. Haven't heard of it on cruise ships this year, but there were news reports that it was coming back this winter.

It doesn't hurt a bit. :D:D:D: We had no side effects whatever.

I had swine flu early August last year and its not nice:(

Have the jab!

I had the flu jab this year after missing it for many years and this years jab included swine flu.

I wont miss another years jab thats for sure!

The reason you have not heard anything about swine flu from the European/American winter and flu season is because as my doctor told me in august,swine flu is just another flu like any other flu!

It is nasty and deadly to some but not even close to as deadly as most other flus?

Why we are being fed this rubbish in the media via the world health organization is anybodies guess?

one theory is the panic making and stock piling of millions and millions of dollars worth of "Tamiflu" during the bird flu scare and the need to get rid of it all before its out of date and worthless!;)

Hi

Can anyone tell me if these injections (swine and normal) cost money? I have been lucky enough not to get the flu for years but am seriously considering it this year..

I heard that these injections are free for certain industries but not sure about the average joe like me (Im not in an interactive based job).

Thanks all

Hi,

Yes the swine flu injection is free. Our family of 4 all had the injection just before our cruise last year. I was a little worried about side afffects, but we were all ok. My daughter reckons it cleared up her sinus infection she had had for 8 weeks......lol. Don't know if it was the injection or just good timing.

Deidre.

We had the swine flu injection earlier this year but only because we were doing a cruise in Feb/March and part of the cruise was in Mexico. There was no cases of flu on board. We had it only as a precaution. If we were only travelling in Australian or New Zealand waters we wouldn't have bothered at all.

It is free.

Hi

Can anyone tell me if these injections (swine and normal) cost money? I have been lucky enough not to get the flu for years but am seriously considering it this year..

I heard that these injections are free for certain industries but not sure about the average joe like me (Im not in an interactive based job).

Thanks all

It was free earlier in the year and some employers are still giving it to their workers for free or subsidized.

It will cost the same as the normal annual flu jab if you go to your GP.

most people are getting the Flu+swine flu combined jab.

I had no side affects at all.

I suggest you talk to your GP :)

Our GP advised it before our NZ cruise last Feb and also gave us certificates to say we'd had them, just in case there was any trouble being cleared by the authorities if this flu broke out again. Luckily there were no problems, but like good 'boy scouts' we were prepared!

DH and I had swine flu jab (cost nothing), then had swine + all strains of flu (cost $15.00 at chemist), our doctor advised us to have both, we 2 have cert. of say we have had swine flu jab.

No Flu present on Dawn in May, but DH did get a throaty thing, most like from AirCon.

Have read on bloggers on the World Cruise that they are suffering the same thing.

Hi, I work in a general practice so I can confirm that swine flu injection is free for everybody in Australia. It is a single injection for adults and children over 10, but 2 injections given 1 month apart for children under the age of 10.

This year's fluvax does indeed contain swine flu vaccine as part of it. It is free for all people aged 65 and over, and for anyone this year who has any chronic health condition ( which is a lot of the population!). That is because the government is trying to encourage as many people as possible to be immunised for swine flu to prevent another outbreak this winter.

Most people do not have any significant side effects with the swine flu vaccine. I would certainly recommend having it before going on a cruise. I know my family has all had it with no problems. Hope this helps. :)

Thanks all for your responses ..am off to Dr next week !

Leashyloo, I wouldn't leave it until too late before you go, just in case you do have side effects. Also I was told it takes a couple of weeks to take effect.

Someone please correct me if I have got my vacs mixed. :rolleyes:

(Have you started packing yet? :))

We have had scripts from our GP for the combined fluvax since the end of April. The local pharmacies & those in surrounding towns are unable to get the vaccine since WA stopped giving it to children under 5. The Chemist has no idea if or when new supplies will be made available. So we are holding our breath....

We have had scripts from our GP for the combined fluvax since the end of April. The local pharmacies & those in surrounding towns are unable to get the vaccine since WA stopped giving it to children under 5. The Chemist has no idea if or when new supplies will be made available. So we are holding our breath....

That's not good! We had no trouble here just north of Bris. I know what it's like living in the country, though, having lived in NW Qld for many years - you're last in the long line for everything!

Leashyloo, I wouldn't leave it until too late before you go, just in case you do have side effects. Also I was told it takes a couple of weeks to take effect.

Someone please correct me if I have got my vacs mixed. :rolleyes:

(Have you started packing yet? :))

Maybe you're right ..The ultimate goal (aside from mot getting sick at all!) is to be fit to have as much fun as possible on the cruise .. might risk it and wait until I get back ..

and yes!.. I broke down on Sunday evening and pulled the suitcase out! lol .. I had this argument today with Dad (while trying to convince mum to start packing now).. I am a highly organised person and it usually does take 2 weeks to pack :o ..

During the course of the next 11 days I will problably repack twice but it gives me time to rationalise what Im actually going to take ..It has worked this way for me for years ..I never forget anything that way !

:rolleyes:

Archived