San Jose, CA

Jinn

We will be flying into San Jose, CA airport to embark at San Francisco Cruise terminal. How long is the taxi ride between the two and roughly what is the cost? Thanks, Jinn

We will be flying into San Jose, CA airport to embark at San Francisco Cruise terminal. How long is the taxi ride between the two and roughly what is the cost? Thanks, Jinn

Depending on traffic, which can be brutal, about 50 miles and could be an hour or more. "Taxi" would be very expensive. Maybe a shuttle van? Google San Jose Airport Shuttle for options, you will have to call for prices. You might consider a one-way car rental.

Thanks. I have bookmarked that site. San Jose has the best arrival time for us if we fly Southwest. Jinn

LOVE Southwest :)

I hope you also checked arrivals into Oakland as they have a BART (Bay Area Rapid Transit) station which will take you right to the Embarcadero in San Francisco where a taxi would just be a few dollars to your pier. A little known secret...I am just saying...

Have a great cruise and say hello to my city by the bay, from me....

The Santa Clara CalTrain station is close the the San Jose airport. It would be a quick cab ride and there is bus service. CalTrain would take you to 4th & King in San Francisco, and cab from there.

San Jose is awfully far away from San Francisco for a cruise. As others have pointed out, Oakland is closer and easier, with the BART bus connection.

Hope like heck you aren't flying in the same day.

It is true, San Jose Airport is quite far from the pier, about 50 miles/an hour as colomom notes. Traffic on the weekends won't be bad (unless there is an accident on the 101) but weekdays can be slow at commute times, (though traffic here is nowhere as bad as southern California!!) The Caltrain idea has merits if you don't mind dragging your luggage around with you and time is not a big factor (runs hourly on weekends): http://caltrain.com/. I'd definitely suggest considering flying into SFO instead as much as I like Southwest too.

We always use Merit Taxi to get to SFO, very dependable and friendly, but not sure if they will pick up at SJ : http://www.merittaxi.com/

I just got a flyer for 24/7 Black Limo 650-740-0805 or 650-345-5700 that looks to have pretty good rates and I wanted to try for our upcoming trip; you may want to call to get an idea of what the charge would be from SJ to the pier.

This WN fan notes that they fly into SFO and OAK.

Flying to SJC to catch a cruise is a bad idea logistically. You will realize that when you pass SFO on the way to the Pier. The better way to go is SFO or OAK.

• 2 weeks later...

If you do drive, take the 280. It has far less traffic than 101, is a much less stressful journey, and the scenery is lovely. Takes about an hour to get to the pier. If you take a shuttle, be sure to ask them if there will be stops along the way, which can add significantly to your travel time. A one-way car rental will be far, far less expensive than a taxi!

We live in San Jose, and we always take CalTrain if we cruise from San Francisco. As the other person said, it's a short taxi trip from SJC to the Caltrain station. You then take Caltrain to the end of the line, where it's another short taxi ride to the cruise pier. There're always lots of taxis outside the Caltrain station in San Francisco, and having a local cab driver navigate the complete zoo that's traffic at the pier there is much nicer than trying to navigate said zoo by yourself. Also, don't know if anybody mention this, but parking is skyhigh in San Francisco, so renting a car and parking would probably be pretty costly.

I agree with SEA HAG re: Parking in San Francisco. My husband had several clients to visit in the San Francisco area, so he had a rental car but stayed the first night in SF as the meeting was at 8 AM. Parking was $45 a night!

Option 1, Supper Shuttle or similar service... but it will not be cheap... But likely better than a taxi for a more than 2. 1a would be the Taxi

Option 2, Airport shuttle to Caltrain (the railroad between San Francisco and San Jose) Santa Clara station, then Caltrain to SF, Taxi or Muni (San Francisco Municipal Railway, buses and streetcars) to pier.

We live near SFO, and I have taken the shuttle to Caltrain shuttle to Santa Clara then train north to home... it works, but may not be an option in a year if funding cuts continue...

Archived