gloves available in stores?

LindaKE

Will warm gloves be available for purchase in ports? Living on the Gulf Coast, I find it difficult to buy warm gloves. The ones I see in local stores are cheap light weight knit. I tried ordering some, but the size charts weren't accurate as far as fitting my hands. The size that the charts indicated I should buy fit in the cheap local gloves, but didn't fit on the ordered pair. I'm afraid to waste more money ordering and hoping to guess a correct size, but don't know how to find warm gloves any other way.

Thanks!

I'm sure that you will be able to find some in the various shops in the ports you visit, but unless you find a Walmart or some such discount store, you may find yourself paying tourist shop prices. Sort of like going to a warm weather port and buying sunglasses, bathing suits etc. at stores that cater primarily to tourists. :)

You raise a good point but some people feel cold in their extremities more than others, plus you do have a wind chill factor with the ship moving and of course it is a bit cooler on glacier day.

But, are gloves really necessary in June? I mean the lows are in the 50s usually. Seems a $1 pair of gloves just in case is all that is needed.

It will all depend on you. If you aren't taking photos and keep your hands in your pockets you will be fine. The $1 gloves will not offer much protection at all if it is cold. Personally, I would not bother with those. I am from Michigan and was happy I had convertible mittens with me. We went in mid-June and we happened to hit a summer of record low temperatures. Mittens are typically warmer than gloves. The convertible mittens allow you to flip off the top and use your fingers when taking photos. I thought they were perfect for our Alaska trip. I was happy to have them on Glacier Bay day and the days we went to Tracy Arm and on the Kenai Fjords Boat tour. The last two tours were on cold, raw, rainy days. The gloves were most welcomed in all three locations. Yes, I could have survived without them. However, if it made me a bit more comfortable.Here is a link if intereseted:

http://www.carolwrightgifts.com/Mens-Apparel/Mens-Outerwear/Convertible-Mittens/56770.cfm?criteria=convertible%20mittens

If all else fails, take along a pair of heavy socks. You can use those when out on deck in Glacier Bay and on whale watching.

You will have some gloves to choose from in Alaska, but the socks won't fail you.

Your not gonna need gloves in June. My gosh its summertime up here. I pack my gloves away the first of April. Some people freak about the weather when they come to Alaska. We don't live in igloos year round. I see so many people giving misguided advice on here and then others go out and buy stuff they don't need because of that.

Your not gonna need gloves in June. My gosh its summertime up here. I pack my gloves away the first of April. Some people freak about the weather when they come to Alaska. We don't live in igloos year round. I see so many people giving misguided advice on here and then others go out and buy stuff they don't need because of that.

Sorry, I disagree. I live in Michigan, went to Alaska mid-June and was very happy to have my mittens on the cruise. I agree that you may not need them depending on the kind of weather you have on the cruise. However, on my mid-June trip, I was definitely glad I had them. You may need them and you may not, but I was VERY happy I had them.

Sorry, don't agree, I'm leaving 96 degree weather and coming into Glacier Bay, and out on the water with other excursions, I don't want to be cold. How much does a pair of gloves weigh and how much room do they take up in a suitcase? Mine are traveling with me.

We just got back from a Holland America Cruise to Alaska. The only time I needed gloves was during the Hubbard Glacier viewing. Nice, warm gloves were available for $10 from the ship's gift shop. You can check the fit and not have to pay postage. I consider them a souvenir from my trip.

I've lived here my entire life and still disagree. I don't go out boating without gloves, unless it's just for the day and the temp. is already high. Early morning can still be chilly enough for gloves, even on the warmest day. If there's a breeze blowing, it takes very warm temps for me to not need them. Add rain into the mix....

I also never plan on an early morning trip or extended trip on the water without a headband to cover my ears...again, the wind does me in and gives me an earache that won't go away.

I also never plan on an early morning trip or extended trip on the water without a headband to cover my ears...again, the wind does me in and gives me an earache that won't go away.

I just got back from Hawaii and used my earmuffs when we went to the top of Haleakala. Boy was I glad I had them. I have super senstive ears and they would have been in severe pain. Lesson is, know thy body and prepare accordingly.

What can I say. I've been out on the water plenty in April, May, June, July and August and haven't used my gloves. I guess some people are just weaker then others. Might as well bring your parka and bunny boots too!!!

Viewing glaciers and being around glaciers- is much different that being in our cities- as we all know- glaciers are huge hunks of ice.

If you want to stay outside viewing the glaciers- while at Glacier Bay, then you will need, in addition to a windbraker, with some warm sweatshirt/sweater under it- a hat (knit is usually good) and something on your hands- gloves, mittens, or socks as someone suggested. And... if is a cold rainy day in Juneau- and you go to the Mendenhall Glacier- you will be happy to have them too. I walk often in the Mendenhall Glacier area with my dogs- and trust me- all that ice is cold- and I always have my knit hat and gloves in my pocket- just in case.

So... unless you come for the northern part of the usa- bring a knit hat- muffler, and gloves- if you don't need them- well- you brought less than 1lb.- and if you leave them home- and you are cold, you will wish you had them.

I am from Califonria and have been in Alaska in July, August and September. I am not use to the cold and had to have gloves for the glaciers. Remember, we are from other states that are warm and for me temps in the 40's are cold.

Plus I am used to relatively harsh winters in Michigan and I still welcomed having nice warm mittens.

What can I say. I've been out on the water plenty in April, May, June, July and August and haven't used my gloves. I guess some people are just weaker then others. Might as well bring your parka and bunny boots too!!!

No need to be rude and sarcastic:(. However, if you choose to play that way, I'm sure the rest of us can, too.

I know I'll be cold enough to need them. We're from the Gulf Coast where our winters equate to normal Alaskan summer. I like the idea of a souvenir in the form of gloves. I'll plan to take an extra pair of socks to use as mittens until we find some. Thanks for the suggestions.

Archived