What do you REALLY think of Warm Chocolate Melting Cake?

What do you REALLY think of Warm Chocolate Melting Cake??  

829 members have voted

1. 1. What do you REALLY think of Warm Chocolate Melting Cake??

• 9 — WCMC is the singularly most astounding dessert in the entire universe and beyond!
    • 8 — Might not be the best dessert in the universe, but bring me two anyway!
    • 7 — I could eat every night – and try my best to do so on every cruise.
    • 6 — Sometimes it’s great – sometimes not so great – but it IS chocolate, so bring it on!
    • 5 — Definitely something I enjoy having once or twice during my cruise
    • 4 — It’s just an ok dessert, and I don’t understand the passion people have for it.
    • 3 — YUK!! It’s a terrible dessert – reminiscent of uncooked brownie batter.
    • 2 — I’m simply not much of a dessert person, so don’t let me sway you.
    • 1 — Warm Chocolate Melting Cake? What on earth are you talking about?

Since so many people talk like this dessert is the greatest, I was surprised to see that the vote I cast is where the majority of people voted -

4 — It’s just an ok dessert, and I don’t understand the passion people have for it.

#6 descibed it perfectly for me. Some nights it's cooked just right and some nights it's best eaten with the friut platter! I do choose it about 4 or 5 nights out of a 7 or 8 day cruise. I rarely finish it though. :o

Ask for an extra ice cream, that way it is not so rich and you can finish it.

Tastes great!:)

My name is Karen and I'm a chocoholic.... Okay, I like the WCMC and ordered several times but also tried the Grand Mariner Souffle. The GMS for me was just okay. We did not see the Bitter and Blanc on our 6 day cruise in March and I'm looking forward to it next March. I also do the WCMC with 2 ice creams. Normally could not finish any dessert as I would just get too full but always managed at least half!!

My husband and I ordered the WCMC the first night of our cruise and didn't care for it that much UNTIL we ordered vanilla ice cream to go with it. By the end of the cruise we were ordering it every night with ice cream AND fruit to dip in the chocolate DIVINE!

I just realized I hadn't voted in my own poll!

Personally, I'm not a fan of it at all -- uncooked brownie batter. After reading the ingredients, I'm even less enthusiastic -- all of those eggs in the recipe and a runny interior when it's "done" -- did the eggs even cook? Blech!!

does it taste sort of like chilli's molten chocolate cake. i too am hearing so much about this cake that i will be eager to try it when i sail the dream in october. but i love to try everything so i will probably get it once, the creme brulee picture looks way better

Well, I think it's awesome and have at least one per cruise. There is no way that I could work off more than that. I don't exersize on vacation folks!:cool:

I do find in interesting to see the wide range of opinions and people expressing shock over that range. "How can you not love it?" "How could anyone eat that?" If everyone liked exactly the same thing, it would be a boring world IMHO.

Now for the two things that I say on every WCMC thread that I reply to....

1) if you have to eat it with ice cream, no matter what you say you are not a chocoholic.

2) the closest recipe I have found is Jill Conner Browne's (of the Sweet Potato Queen fame) The Chocolate Stuff. There is a secret to getting it just the right consistancy every time.;)

Happy cruising all!

All you need is a brownie mix, pour in cups. Cook about 1/3 done. Chocolate Melting Cake!!

Its Nasty, why all the hoorah?

If you make it this way, it will surely be nasty... The proportions of flour/butter/chocolate/sugar are very different in the brownie mix and will not result in anything like the recipe given on this thread. The proportions for brownie mix are for a "cakey" texture and not meant to produce the combination of "pudding" and "cake" like the melting cake ingredient proportions.

I've made the "lava" choco cakes many times from the box and they are just about like the best "melting cake" I've had in restaurants or anywhere else. I cook many desserts (lots of chocolate ones!) from scratch, and I must admit the "lava box cakes" are just as good as the scratch desserts as long as you cook them for JUST THE RIGHT AMOUNT OF TIME. That is CRITICAL. If you look at the "results" on line here, you'll see that it's a Gaussian curve (for those of you who are not mathematicians, that's a curve where most answers are in the middle, and the fewest answers are at either end of the spectrum). Liking chocolate melting cake is certainly dependent on:

1. Whether the person really likes the European "bittersweet" chocolate flavor as opposed to the "milk chocolate" flavor that most US persons like.

2. How it's cooked... On Carnival it sounds like they over or under cook it a lot since the timing has to be EXACT each time or it will be "pudding" or "nothing but cake". I think this accounts for many comments on these boards that are not a comment on the dish itself, but "what they've eaten based on variations in the cooking times" (like: "It was just cakey" and "It was like soup").

3. Whether the person even likes chocolate much at all.

Having said all this... I've never had Carnival's before, but am just about to this Sunday when I sail away on their Baltimore Pride trip to the Bahamas and their Private Island. But having lots of experience with this "item" I'm thinking the reasons for all the different answers are as stated above. I'll try it on 3-4 occasions and see if 1) I like it, and 2) if it varies in consistency and/or flavor. I prefer dark chocolate flavor way over milk chocolates. Anyway, it's fun talking about FOOD!...

I am a chocolate cake, cookie, candy loving person but the Warm Chocolate melting cake was terrible!

I had heard so much about it from these boards and was so looking forward to it. The 1st night I didn't have it because it was Mother's Day so they brought out a special dessert...so eagerly on the 2nd night I ordered it. I was so disappointed! I wasn't expecting it to taste so gooey and undone. The next night I tried again.....same thing, it was terrible.

To my surprise I loved the Bitter and Blanc!!! It was warm and delicious with the ice cream on the side.....YUMMY!

Hi, Everyone!

Nothing in the food department seems to be discussed as passionately as Warm Chocolate Melting Cake -- so much so that it was the #1 thing I was looking forward to trying on our last cruise aboard the Splendor.

It turned out to be very different than what I was anticipating, and that left me wondering what everyone else's opinions were about WCMC.

So here's your chance to cast your vote and share your opinion about Carnival's trademark dessert!

I do like allot of foods cooked medium rare, but cake is not one of them,

cake should be done in the middle, light and fluffy or solid and heavy but not runny.

If any of the DD of any of the posters made a cake like that in school it would get an F for the grade.

I do love the WCMC but not enough to have it every night... there are so many other yummy desserts! Grand Marnier Souffle, diet (yes DIET!) banana gateau, Bitter 'n Blanc...mmmm...

I agree that there are many other good ones. That's why I have WCMC and another and then maybe another. The third would probably be WCMC.

2000 Imagination (First time cruiser's wonderment.)

2006 Holiday (40th anniversary and the best food of any cruise)

2007 Triumph (Miami to San Juan)

2008 Destiny (Island a day cruise out of San Juan)

2009 Spirit (Alaska's cool, but I didn't need winter clothes.)

Liking chocolate melting cake is certainly dependent on:

1. Whether the person really likes the European "bittersweet" chocolate flavor as opposed to the "milk chocolate" flavor that most US persons like.

I suppose this might make a difference for some, although it did not impact my like/dislike much. I am a US person, and I prefer dark or bittersweet chocolate (actually, I don't like milk chocolate much at all). I also like good brownies with dark chocolate syrup and ice cream, so I do have a weakness for some sweets. I don't care much for the WCMC though. I have tried it several different times on different ships (I usually try it at least once per cruise), and I have never found the taste, texture, or doneness to vary any. Enjoy your taste testings!

Archived