Help me choose Spanish ports

Although I will not embark Crystal Serenity until 2012 I want to know which ports of call in the Western Mediterranean to look for before the schedule is released so when I can book a cruise, I will not have to put it off and miss out on the cabin location I want. So I decided to get input from people who have been to Spain to figure out which ports there would be the best for me. Of course, I do plan to read many guide books and websites. However, there are all the little things like standing in line, where to get tickets, etc. not mentioned in literature and I can get opinions about what is described online and in the books about Spain. Just in case Malaga, Mallorca, and Seville/Cadiz are on itineraries, I want to know if they are worth a full day off the ship based on my travel interests. Can anyone help me with this before I know if one or more of these ports will be on my trip?

The only Spain port I've been to on a cruise is Barcelona, and thoroughly enjoyed our visit (pre-cruise) there!

For info on the ports you mention, while waiting for answers here from other posters, the Cruise Critic Ports section gives a good overview of ports, including where the ship docks, how to get around, and the highlights:

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=81

http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=69

Also, by using "Search This Forum" at the top of the forum page, you'll come up with some very helpful threads ... here's a link to one that I think will answer some of your questions:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1140257

Just in case Malaga, Mallorca, and Seville/Cadiz are on itineraries, I want to know if they are worth a full day off the ship based on my travel interests. Can anyone help me with this before I know if one or more of these ports will be on my trip?

Difficult to answer, as you haven't state what your travel interests are. Curious as to why you are researching cities that may not be on your itinerary. Is this for another trip?

Like rugrats says: it depends on your interests. Maybe you are not interested in Moorish architecture, or you are travelling in a season that is too cold for the beach. I have been to all the mentioned places multiple times on long landtrips, so could probably give some advice if I would know what you are looking for.

Archived