Guided Tours Israel Recently??

msk1

On 11/16/2022 at 10:09 AM, Markanddonna said:

We used GTI in 2019 and in November 2022. It was easy filling two vans from the roll call. Those ship tours are so inferior. We heard abour horror stories in Istanbul being left behind. Fifty is too many people to control.

How long did it take before you were free to meet with GTI?   There is apparently a face to face passport check in Israel.

5 hours ago, mpk said:

How long did it take before you were free to meet with GTI?   There is apparently a face to face passport check in Israel.

If you have a GTI group, talk to the head of customer service on board about accommodations for private groups. The ship supposedly docked at 6 AM, and my group met at the Starbucks area. We all then walked together to the designated area and were allowed off the ship together. We had to stand in the same lines as the ship excursions folks. We decided it was best to split up between the 6-8 lines and meet just outside at the designated place. That was smart. It went pretty quick and wasn't a detailed interview. Our guy asked no questions! 

You get your Israel card then that must be carried in your passport at all times.  Our two GTI guides were right there with signs with my name.  It was easy!  We were maybe 10 minutes behind the planned meeting time with GTI, but that is quite good. 

If you are traveling by yourself in Israel, keep your card and passport at all times. We were stopped at a checkpoint near a Palestinian territory on the freeway. The driver spoke Hebrew and kept saying "American" to them. They finally asked for our passport and card and we were on our way. Israeli security is pretty intense.  We were also up in the very northern tip of the Golan Heights with land mine signs near the borders and could have spit into Lebanon and saw Syria from a short distance. 

One piece of advice is to emphasize the importance of staying together and being on time. You would think people would not over consume coffee first thing in the morning, not come on tours when they are clearly sick, and would use the rest stop rule: go when you can.  Sigh.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 3:48 AM, Markanddonna said:

If you have a GTI group, talk to the head of customer service on board about accommodations for private groups. The ship supposedly docked at 6 AM, and my group met at the Starbucks area. We all then walked together to the designated area and were allowed off the ship together. We had to stand in the same lines as the ship excursions folks. We decided it was best to split up between the 6-8 lines and meet just outside at the designated place. That was smart. It went pretty quick and wasn't a detailed interview. Our guy asked no questions!

Thanks for this info, very enlightening!

Yes, we're with GTI but I didn't assemble a group for this cruise.  Just purchased GTI excursions for two.

So not exactly a GTI private group then.  Would the head of customer service still make accomodations for this?  Also, the head is the manager of the "front desk" / customer service counter, right?

Email Leo from GTI to see if, in fact, you are part of a group. There were different two couples who signed up for our private tour who didn't go through me, but went directly through Leo. Interesting that they were the only ones who dropped out before the tour. If you are in a tour mostly from the ship, be sure to let Leo that it is okay to share your info with the coordinator. 

It can't hurt to talk to the crew onboard your ship to see if special accommodations can be made. Of course, ask professionally and in a pleasant voice. It is my understanding there was a man who discovered the ship's procedures in Ashdod where everyone else was to disembark by deck numbers. He went into a threatening tirade and told them he was going to do whatever he wanted and no one could boss him around... I wonder if security came.

• Like 1

On 6/7/2010 at 5:20 AM, hobein said:

Hi MSK1,

Since you did ask for details about GTI, here is how our tours with them went:

My husband and I recently returned from the May 3rd sailing of the Azamara Quest with two ports of call in Israel (Haifa and Ashdod). We arrived in Haifa Israel on Thursday May 7th. There were immigration tables set up in a lounge for a face to face passport check. The line was long but went fast. We were given an entry card to keep with our passport and had to be returned to the officials at the port entry control point in Ashdod on the last day before reboarding the ship. We had allowed ourselves a half hour for these immigration formalities and were off the ship with time to spare.

We used Guided Tours Israel for our christian themed tours here. Alon Schneider handeled the coorespondence and was extremely helpful in planning the trip. All of my queries were answered quickly. We had a comfortable Mercedes Van for our group of six. Our guide Jacob was extremely knowledgable about Jesus’ ministry in Galilee, often quoting the appropriate bible verse. He offered a few alternatives to our original plans and off we went!

Our first stop was Nazareth with the Basilica of the Annunciation. The lower church centers on the Grotto (the remains of the home of Mary, Joseph and Jesus) and the Cave of the Annunciation, where the angelic announcement to Mary is believed to have occurred.The vast upper church is decorated with mosaics of the Virgin donated by communities from around the world.

The Church of St. Gabriel is the Orthodox counterpart to the Catholic Basilica of the Annunciation in Nazareth. According to Orthodox tradition, the Virgin Mary first received the news from Gabriel that she would bear the Savior while she was out fetching water. The Orthodox Church is therefore located over the spring that fed Mary's Well.

Our road trip through Galilee continued on to Mount Tabor. The road up to the top was nerve-racking but we there safely. Christians have identified a rock atop Mt. Tabor as the place of the Transfiguration of Christ. The Church and gardens are beautiful but the views of the Jezreel Valley were the highlight for us.

For our next stop took us to Yardenit, the Baptismal site on the Jordan River. It was beautifully done with very nice landscaping, big shady trees and pavement (steps or paved path down to the water), a large gift shop and very good restaurant. We had a typical Israeli lunch there with lots of salads, Hummus, Pita bread and Saint Peters Fish. After lunch we bathed our feet in the beautiful clear water of the Jordan. There were quite a few Orthodox Christians there who purchased a white gown there for their complete immersion baptism. Jacob told us that the gown is saved and used as a funeral schroud. The gift shop had alot of nice quality, typical Israeli souvenirs.

We moved on to Capernaum which is often mentioned as being Jesus’ home base during his Galilean ministry. Jesus lived at his deciple Peter’s home. Our guide Jacob told us that Capernaum is one spot where historians are absolutely sure that Jesus lived and preached. The ruins of Peters home are displayed below the chapel and the ruins of the Synogogue are close by. Of all the places we visited in Israel, I was awed by the knowledge that I was literally walking in Jesus’ footsteps here the most.

The next stop was what Jacob kept refering to as the “Beatitudes”. It took me a while to catch on but he was referring to the “Mount of Beatitudes” the location of the famous “Sermon on the Mount”! I refreshed my memory when I got home and relearned that itis the greatest sermon Jesus ever preached containing the Lord's prayer, the beatitudes, and the golden rule. There is a church here but the views of the sea of Galilee and surrounding countryside are what draw the visitors.

After a long day of touring, we headed back to Haifa. Jacob drove through the German Colony that had been built by the Templers. It looked lovely, with lots of shops and cafes. If we had had time, it would have been a great place for a break. We drove to the top of the Baha’i Gardens for the views. We just had time for a Photo Stop from a scenic viewpoint where we could see the city, harbor and gardens. We could see the Quest in Port below. Should we come to Haifa again, I would do a tour of the gardens and stroll through the German Colony.

We arrived back onboard and slept soundly that night. The next morning we arrived in Ashdod, Israel. The Israeli Immigration officials quickly checked our Entry Card and passport as we left the ship (no lines at all today!). Jacob was waiting for us and we got an early start for touring Jerusalem. After about an hour we arrived at a viewpoint across the valley from Jerusalem above the cemetary. The city was spread out before us. Jacob pointed out the different quarters, churches, mosques and historical sites to highlight where and how we would be touring the city. This was a great orientation because once we entered the city, I would have been completely lost. We moved on to park by the Jaffa Gate and began our adventure. Stepping into the Arab Quarter was like stepping back in time. The narrow roads (pedestrian area) with shops to our right and left, the clothing, spices, foods were in colorful diplays. It was very crowded and very noisy. All of a sudden the call to prayers sounded throughout the city and the people suddenly started moving to the closest Mosque. The roads cleared quickly- we moved on to the Jewish quarter. The shops here seemed to be more western, clearer diplays and more modern. Maybe it just was because since the crowds had cleared, we were able to see everything! Whatever the reason, it was a pleasant walk through the streets. Jacob took us to a local wine shop where we got to sample the local vintages. We were told that the Vineyards in Israel have in the last decade begun to produce high quality wines. I had never thought of Israeli Wine when I was in my local wine store but when you think about it, wine had a few thousand years of tradition in this region. The wine could be purchased and mailed back to the states (or where ever you lived), a nice souvenir !

We moved on to the Westen or Wailing Wall. There was a large police presence. When I commented on it, Jacob told us that this wasn’t large but normal. Visitors of all religions are welcome to approach the Wall and to pray silently beside it. Men who would like to go to the wall must wear a hat or take a free head covering from a box beside the entrance to the prayer area.Women may also borrow the required shawls and short-skirt coverings. A dividing screen reserves an area at the extreme right of the Western Wall for women, who are not allowed into the men's section in keeping with Orthodox Jewish tradition.

We moved on to the Via Delorose and walked the Stations of the Cross. By this time we needed a rest room break, Jacob brought us to a public bathroom. Ladies beware! There were just holes in the floor and no handles to hold on to. With a skirt it might have worked if we had been desperate enough but in pants, no way! We waited until we reached the Church of the Holy Selpulchre were there were (Unisex) clean western type bathrooms.

The Church of the Holy Selpulchre is the holiest of the Holy sites for Christians in Israel. It is built over Golgatha, the place where Jesus was cruicified and the tomb where he was buried. We spent a while here, the place is steeped with history and stories, some good – some horrible.

We moved on to the Armenien Quarter and on to the Room of the Last Supper. We then made our way back to Jaffa Gate, tired, hot and hungry. We found a bakery on the way out of the city and grabbed a snack and some water for our next stop- The Dead Sea.

We drove throught the desert for about an hour to reach the Dead Sea. We stopped at a Kibbutz for lunch close to the beach. It was very crowded with busses and tourists. The caves where the Dead Sea Scrolls were found were behind the buildings and could (for a fee) be visited. Lunch here was a disappointment after our feast the day before. The shop here had lots of Dead Sea Souvenirs. We were glad to get out of there and finally make it to the beach. The area had a changing room, restaurant and gift shop. We made our way down to the water, only one other member of our group decided to bathe with me. We went into the water until it was about knee high and the next step had me dropping down, the water was chest level, I had landed in a sinkhole! I crawled out of it scraping up my knee (which was lots of fun with the high salt content of the water) only to find myself falling into not one but two more of these stupid holes! We couldn’t stop laughing! I gave up and just laid back and floated for a while. We didn’t stay in the water long, it was very hot and the sun was beating down on us. With blood pouring down my knee we made our way to the openair showers to clean up. The gift shop had bandages for my knee and Jacob used his army medic experience to bandage me up. No one there seemed to know about these sinkholes. I was okay with just a few scrapes but for a child or frail guests, it could be dangerous. Please be careful there! We had a quiet drive back to Ashdod. The late afternoon sun had the rocks and sand of the desert glowing in with pale red highlights. It was beautiful. The guards at the Port Gate collected our Entry Cards and we, tired but happy, went back onboard.

We were in Jerusalem on a Friday, most sites and shops close down in the afternoon for the Sabbath. If this were not the case, we could have easily spent the entire day in there. We got in a lot of the major sites but is was all in a rush. A liesurely day with breaks to compensate for the heat would have made it a better touring day. I don’t regret going to the Dead Sea. Even with my injuries I look back to it as being an fascinating, once-in-a-lifetime experience.

It was an incredible experience to walk through the showplaces of the bible. I didn't realize how small Israel is (about the size of New Jersey). Since our tour had the christian theme, it was easy to do 2 seperate day tours (Galilean Ministry and Jerusalem/Dead Sea) and overnight onboard ship. For those of you considering doing an overnight is Jerusalem, it wouldn't be a problem to drive there from Haifa and enjoy 2 days there. You could easily spend 2 days in Jerusalem and still not see everything! I would highly recommend a private tour here. Fellow cruisers that did ships tours saw much less than we did and IMHO large groups and heat don’t mix well.

No matter how you do it remember to drink lots of water! We were there early May and the heat was taxing. I am sure that later in the season it will be worse. We exchanged about 100$ for the two days for entry fees, small gifts and meals.

I hope this info helps you plan your trip!

Happy Cruising!

Shalom!

Thank you very much for this wonderful review! It is so well-written and thorough.

I have been to Israel about 30 years ago (for two months on a training grant) and your description makes me so nostalgic of all the places I have been to.

My husband and I have a booked 12-day cruise from Haifa to Rome-Civitavecchia in November 2024. It's still two years from now--and your review provides a great help as we navigate the long planning for our cruise.

• Like 2

That review was very informative and generally accurate. A few things to note:

Because that review is so old, some things have changed. The guy in charge at GTI is Leo and the procedure to interview ship passengers is no longer onboard the ship.  It happened THE MORNING OF OUR FIRST EXCURSION.  We didn't know that until two days before Ashdod.

Yardenit is not the authentic site of Jesus' baptism. The site considered the most reliable by most Christian communities is Bethany on the Jordan which is being redeveloped. It was severely damaged during the wars in the 1960s and 70s and couldn't be used. Jordan is spending millions on developing it to make it appealing for pilgrims. Personally, I would ask to skip Yardenit. It is owned by a local kibbutz and very commercial.

Mount Tabor is the "traditional" site of the transfiguration, but Mt Herman is a likely candidate. The events just before the transfiguration happened at Caesarea Philippi (now Banias) and Mount Herman is close by.

While in Capernaum, be sure to appreciate the dark basalt stones below the white synagogue ruins. This was likely the synagogue where Jesus preached, revealing himself with the Isaiah scroll.

Most people don't research swimming in the Dead Sea and are surprised by the sink holes, sharp rocks, and rather icky restrooms. Our group came prepared with swim shoes, terry cloth washcloths and a towel. Also, there is a modern shopping center just north of the public beach. They have a very nice, modern restroom.  Shower at the Dead Sea, but know this facility is available and free.

I would recommend anyone whose cruise ends in Israel to stay a few days and base themselves in Jerusalem. Find a centrally located hotel. We stayed at one on Hillel St and could easily walk to the old city and the Israel museum.  It also had a refrigerator and microwave which helped during Shabbat. One couple at a big hotel told us the cafe workers wouldn't make coffee for them because it involved pushing a button (that's forbidden on Shabbat.)

Take a taxi to the top of the Mount of Olives and walk down, go west in the Kidron Valley and walk to the City of David.  Take a lunch break and visit the Old City. Google maps worked great there!

If you are there on Shabbat and never experienced it, be prepared. We were there in the middle of November and things were closed pretty much from 2:30 Friday to some shops and restaurants opening at 7:30 PM.  A long stretch if you aren't prepared. While Shabbat doesn't officially close until sundown, the shop and restaurant owners have to figure in the time it take to close down and prepare and get home before the candles are lit. You see a lot of stressed out folks everywhere. Shabbat when there is more daylight would be less stressful for visitors.

There isn't much to do on Shabbat in Jerusalem, but the open Israel Museum was a sensational day. We walked there. Keep in mind Google maps take you to a cliff but there is an elevator there. But not on Shabbat because that means pushing a button!  It was locked, so we had to figure out a plan B. Fortunately, Google maps adjusted and we found our way. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Markanddonna said:

Shower at the Dead Sea, but know this facility is available and free.

Hmmm  does that suggest that there are people hanging around there trying to charge for the free showers?

Thanks for your posts, a lot of great info.

Edited by mpk

2 hours ago, mpk said:

Hmmm  does that suggest that there are people hanging around there trying to charge for the free showers?

Thanks for your posts, a lot of great info.

No, the showers are out in the open. The changing rooms and restrooms in the public area leave a lot to be desired. There was no one around wanting to charge anything. The hotels to the north are private beaches. There weren't a lot of people swimming. You are cautioned not to be in the water more than 15 mins.  Some people told us that the salt and mineral content hurts the entire skin area. Everyone we were with said it wasn't a problem. I imagine if you have a cut or open wound that your skin would be irritated. These "experts" also said that the minerals were very hard to get off your skin. That also proved to be an exaggeration. 

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Thanks 1

On 6/11/2019 at 7:17 AM, Gaybo said:

The Cruise Critics that were going to Jerusalem & Bethlehem on a GTI private tour (CMV only offered these sites separately despite them being only a 20 minute drive apart) met at 7.30am and we left the ship (The Vasco da Gama) and went effortlessly through immigration and our guide, ‘Dikel’ was waiting for us with our driver and a very nice 16 seater BMW Bus… I just love it when things go to plan.

Dikel explained our day to us on the way to ‘The Mount of Olives’ up on ‘Mount Zion’, where it is said the Messiah will resurrect the dead on judgement day. It is Jerusalem’s holiest cemetery and the view from the top is amazing, taking in the whole city, of both Old and New Jerusalem.

This is where it is alleged that the Virgin Mary ‘fell asleep forever’. The fortress-like building, with a conical roof and four corner towers, stands south of the ‘Old City’s Zion Gate’, where most of us where singing or at least humming, the old ‘Boney M – Rivers of Babylon’ song.

We walked to the ‘Dormition Abbey’, which is situated in the ‘Garden of Gethsemane’, the olive grove where Jesus prayed after the ‘Last Supper’ and was betrayed by his disciple Judas the same night. The garden was ablaze with roses in full bloom and they even had a ‘Jasmine’ vine climbing up a stone wall. It was a shame that there were so many people pushing and shoving to get through, as it would have been a lovely spot to spend some time in.

We also visited the nearby ‘Church of All Nations’, also known as the ‘Basilica of the Agony’. The altar enshrines a section of bedrock, known as the ‘Rock of Agony’, where Jesus is said to have prayed before his arrest… the lines to kneel and kiss this stone were so long but I managed to get behind an old priest and get a nice photo of it anyhow… oh the power of the zoom lens!

‘King David's Citadel’ is a medieval fortress that is located near the ‘Jaffa Gate’, the historical entrance to the city and the point where the East meets the West, near here we also visited the ‘Room of the Last Supper’ and the ‘Chamber of the Holocaust’ in the Protestant Cemetery and ‘King David’s Tomb’.

The sun was getting very hot now and we walked to ‘Via Dolorosa’, the path that supposedly Jesus walked on the way to his crucifixion. Here we entered the ‘Jewish Quarter’. Being a Sunday, it was just another day here and we saw many Jewish school children and adults, in various forms of dress going about their daily business.

This pathway lead us to the ‘Church of Holy Sepulchre’, the stairway climbing to Calvary (Golgotha), traditionally regarded as the site of Jesus's crucifixion and the most lavishly decorated part of the church. This is the place where Jesus was crucified and later buried. Here again, was another stone, said to be where Jesus was laid and anointed in oil when he was taken down from the cross before he was buried. So many people here also praying and crying and putting gifts on the slab for blessings and then taking them off again… My husband and I managed to push our way in and do a little hand rubbing ourselves but yes I had a pack of ‘Wet-Ones’ to cleanse ourselves with afterwards.

We stopped for lunch at one of Dikel’s fav cafes, the ‘Everest Cafe’ and we shared an Olive and Tomato Pizza, which we washed down with an ice cold Diet Coke. Very welcome.

Next it was onto the ‘Western Cardo’ which is where we were told the word “Cardiac’ comes from and after walking this path our hearts and breaths sure knew why.

We walked quickly through the ‘Arab Market’ that sprawled across the Christian and Moslem Quarters in Jerusalem's Old City but didn’t buy anything as Dikel said that a lot of it was ‘Made in China”. Ho hum!

Our next stop was at the ‘Wailing Wall’ or the ‘Western Wall’ where we entered through the ‘Dung Gate’ to see the "Wall" because of the centuries of endless tears, shed by Jews. My husband and I had pre-written a prayer each to leave here and I had to give him strict instructions that it was not to include any, Lottery, Lotto or Soccer Pool words. He ensured me it didn’t… but I do have my doubts. The wall is divided into Male and Female sections with the Male section being 2/3 and the Female 1/3… go figure!

We did a drive past of ‘Temple Mount’, a holy site within the Old City for Jewish, Christian and Muslim people. All visitors are able to tour the compound and the Al-Aqsa Mosque, with the exception of the Dome of the Rock but we didn’t, as we were keen to get to Bethlehem.

Back onto the bus for a 20 minute rest while we drove to the West Bank into Palestine. Here we stopped at the obligatory ‘Tourist Gift Shop’ where we could shop while we picked up our Palestinian Guide. My husband and I did a quick walk through of the shop and then went next door to ‘The Bakery’ to watch the young baker knead, roll and flip his dough. Much more interesting to us than shopping!

Back in the bus and with our new guide we set off to explore ‘Manager Square’, where the majority of religious activity in Bethlehem takes place… nothing very exciting here just another large limestone paved park.

We then walked across the road to the ‘Church of the Nativity’, where the birth of ‘Jesus of Nazareth’ is said to have occurred. Unfortunately there was a funeral being conducted here, a 72 year old man, who died peacefully in his sleep… or so our guide told us.(???) Anyhow we waited outside with our guide as he said they would be out soon. This they were, the males carrying the coffin, came out through one door and the females all wiping their eyes through another. Our guide spoke to one of the woman, whom we assume was the wife, patted her hand and led us through another door inside.

Talk about not wasting time, flowers (sadly silk ones) were being stuffed back into boxes and roles of white tuille were being unwound to wrap around the pews for the next event, a wedding… life sure does go on here in these churches in Bethlehem!

There is an underground cave that they believe marks the spot of the ‘birthplace’ with a 14-point star set into the marble floor.  But our guide said that the waiting time to enter the cave would take up to two hours, and while I was keen, unfortunately the other ‘’scaredy cats’ were not as it would have brought us back to the ship close to ‘All aboard Time’.

Our guide must have seen the look on my face (pretty hard to miss I’ve been told) so he took us across to another Church, St Catherine’s for a look in there (Everyone, EXCEPT me groaned) and then he sang us a version of ‘The Lord’s Prayer’ in ??? mmm… it was the 3rd language in the Bible… Hebrew, and some other one and then this one that sounded like Armenian but probably is spelt wrong… anyhow it was a nice gesture and I appreciated it.

There was a large painting of ‘St George’ as we were leaving this church and I must look up why it is there?

Our bus driver took us the scenic drive back to the port but everyone except two others and myself slept... so serves them right as it was lovely diving through the Jerusalem Mountains.

Thank you for sharing.  Thoroughly enjoyed your post.  Researching for cruise in the Holy Land in 2024.  Which month is best to visit?

On 12/20/2022 at 4:58 AM, Markanddonna said:

That review was very informative and generally accurate. A few things to note:

Because that review is so old, some things have changed. The guy in charge at GTI is Leo and the procedure to interview ship passengers is no longer onboard the ship.  It happened THE MORNING OF OUR FIRST EXCURSION.  We didn't know that until two days before Ashdod.

Yardenit is not the authentic site of Jesus' baptism. The site considered the most reliable by most Christian communities is Bethany on the Jordan which is being redeveloped. It was severely damaged during the wars in the 1960s and 70s and couldn't be used. Jordan is spending millions on developing it to make it appealing for pilgrims. Personally, I would ask to skip Yardenit. It is owned by a local kibbutz and very commercial.

Mount Tabor is the "traditional" site of the transfiguration, but Mt Herman is a likely candidate. The events just before the transfiguration happened at Caesarea Philippi (now Banias) and Mount Herman is close by.

While in Capernaum, be sure to appreciate the dark basalt stones below the white synagogue ruins. This was likely the synagogue where Jesus preached, revealing himself with the Isaiah scroll.

Most people don't research swimming in the Dead Sea and are surprised by the sink holes, sharp rocks, and rather icky restrooms. Our group came prepared with swim shoes, terry cloth washcloths and a towel. Also, there is a modern shopping center just north of the public beach. They have a very nice, modern restroom.  Shower at the Dead Sea, but know this facility is available and free.

I would recommend anyone whose cruise ends in Israel to stay a few days and base themselves in Jerusalem. Find a centrally located hotel. We stayed at one on Hillel St and could easily walk to the old city and the Israel museum.  It also had a refrigerator and microwave which helped during Shabbat. One couple at a big hotel told us the cafe workers wouldn't make coffee for them because it involved pushing a button (that's forbidden on Shabbat.)

Take a taxi to the top of the Mount of Olives and walk down, go west in the Kidron Valley and walk to the City of David.  Take a lunch break and visit the Old City. Google maps worked great there!

If you are there on Shabbat and never experienced it, be prepared. We were there in the middle of November and things were closed pretty much from 2:30 Friday to some shops and restaurants opening at 7:30 PM.  A long stretch if you aren't prepared. While Shabbat doesn't officially close until sundown, the shop and restaurant owners have to figure in the time it take to close down and prepare and get home before the candles are lit. You see a lot of stressed out folks everywhere. Shabbat when there is more daylight would be less stressful for visitors.

There isn't much to do on Shabbat in Jerusalem, but the open Israel Museum was a sensational day. We walked there. Keep in mind Google maps take you to a cliff but there is an elevator there. But not on Shabbat because that means pushing a button!  It was locked, so we had to figure out a plan B. Fortunately, Google maps adjusted and we found our way. 

To avoid Shabbat, I’ll check the itinerary to be sure we’re not in Jerusalem on Friday and Saturday!  😂  I enjoyed your post.

• Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, iuki said:

Thank you for sharing.  Thoroughly enjoyed your post.  Researching for cruise in the Holy Land in 2024.  Which month is best to visit?

Hi iuki,

We visited in late May and it was very hot.

We have also visited Egypt in November and it was much more pleasant temperature wise.

Ideally if I personally had a choice I would choose December as I would like to experience Christmas in the Holy Land..

Cheers Gaybo

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, iuki said:

To avoid Shabbat, I’ll check the itinerary to be sure we’re not in Jerusalem on Friday and Saturday!  😂  I enjoyed your post.

Actually, experiencing Shabbat is very interesting. We stayed in an ultraorthodox area of Western Jerusalem and it was like a ghost town on Shabbat. Find things to do, like the museum, and observe the locals walking to attend services. No cars, buses, taxis or trains!  If desperate, YOU can get an Arab taxi driver, but Jews can't. Just do your research on how to prepare.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2022 at 1:10 AM, mpk said:

We were outside the terminal quickly. If going with a group, leave ship together but just get in different customs lines. Your guide is about 15 steps away.

On 11/26/2022 at 1:10 AM, mpk said:

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, envy4u said:

What private tour is best/recommended to see the most catholic religious sites.

I also would like to see the wailing wall. 

Roman Catholic-oriented travel to Israel is usually arranged ahead of time on tour groups while still in the USA. You can do some research to see which sites have a common interest/understanding with the Protestant groups (Christian travel.) For example, most Christian tours in Israel go to the churches that are Roman Catholic in the Galilee region. The Mount of Olives has several Roman Catholic churches that are visited by both. Protestants and Catholics differ on the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. I personally don't believe either that or the Garden Tomb is accurate (Helena was an incredibly bad archaeologist.) We toured with Catholics in our regular "Christian" groups with GTI and had no issues either way. The only RC site in the Holy Land that is very difficult for me is the House of the Virgin Mary in Ephesus. Even the Catholic church believes there is not enough evidence but it is a big tourist site. The Apostle John didn't go to Ephesus until 70AD, and Mary would have been a very elderly person 85-90) to have made that arduous trip. There is a church in Jerusalem that claims she died there. I tend to think that has more validity.

I am writing a book on cruising to the Holy Land, but it won't be out until this summer.

• 1 month later...

Keep in mind that for 2024, they have changed their tours to accommodate 20-40 people. Since Israel tours are very popular, I anticipate the maximum number of 40 people will be reached. This is an increase from 6-16 people this year (NOTE: They have NOT updated their website for 2024). This is what Leo wrote to me in an email:

Sorry for the confusion.

The rates in our website is valid until 2023 – that is why we cannot update it yet

Semi-Private tour are for guest with hotel pick up and drop off only that is why there is a separate section for shore excursion

Semi-private tour with 6-10 persons: US$159 per person (subject to minimum 6 persons)

Group-tour with 20-40 persons: $89 per person (subject to minimum 20 persons.

Rate does not include meals, applicable admission fee, gratuity and other personal expenses.

Alan

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/11/2023 at 4:41 AM, Markanddonna said:

Roman Catholic-oriented travel to Israel is usually arranged ahead of time on tour groups while still in the USA. You can do some research to see which sites have a common interest/understanding with the Protestant groups (Christian travel.) For example, most Christian tours in Israel go to the churches that are Roman Catholic in the Galilee region. The Mount of Olives has several Roman Catholic churches that are visited by both. Protestants and Catholics differ on the Church of the Holy Sepulcher in Jerusalem. I personally don't believe either that or the Garden Tomb is accurate (Helena was an incredibly bad archaeologist.) We toured with Catholics in our regular "Christian" groups with GTI and had no issues either way. The only RC site in the Holy Land that is very difficult for me is the House of the Virgin Mary in Ephesus. Even the Catholic church believes there is not enough evidence but it is a big tourist site. The Apostle John didn't go to Ephesus until 70AD, and Mary would have been a very elderly person 85-90) to have made that arduous trip. There is a church in Jerusalem that claims she died there. I tend to think that has more validity.

I am writing a book on cruising to the Holy Land, but it won't be out until this summer.

We finally booked a Holy Land Tour on Odyssey OTS next year October.  We’re also Catholic.  Hopefully there are excursions we can book through RCI for the disabled since I use an electric wheelchair.  If not, I told my husband to go without me.  Let us know when your book comes out.  Can it be purchased on Amazon?

10 hours ago, iuki said:

We finally booked a Holy Land Tour on Odyssey OTS next year October.  We’re also Catholic.  Hopefully there are excursions we can book through RCI for the disabled since I use an electric wheelchair.  If not, I told my husband to go without me.  Let us know when your book comes out.  Can it be purchased on Amazon?

I hope that the publishing date for the book will be late summer 2023.  It will be on Amazon. 

As far as going to Israel with an electric scooter, keep your expectations realistic. There will be some things you just can't do, such as the more ancient excavations like the City of David. One thing: have you checked to see how your ship matches up with the high holy days in Israel?  It can be very busy during those periods. A tour of old Jerusalem with a scooter will be quite difficult at that time. The Galilee region might have fewer people since the sites are not the focus for Jewish tourists. 

image.png.6bb3fee15f154fb410c80eeea4b4b83e.png

Edited by Markanddonna
  • Like 2