What to do with 4 hour layover at Sea-Tac?

Hi! We are flying in arriving at "2:10 pm" Southwest from the East Coast on a Saturday (July 17) and connecting to a "6:55pm" Alaska Airlines. DH thinks we can take a city tour or something in that block of time. Are we better off staying put, relaxing, napping, finding something to eat there at Sea-Tac or IS there a do-able tour/walkabout/choice? Info: We don't check bags so would have to store (($$) preferably within security) or take them along (security screening, again).

ANY good suggestions welcomed. Decent eats, views from airport, quiet corner where we won't be rousted if we try to curl up and snooze? I do mean snooze; we're not THAT adventuresome:eek:. Thanx for your help!

I don't think you have enough time to make it worthwhile, even with no checked luggage. Round trip in a taxi to the market or city center/space needle would be about $100.

If the plane arrives at 2:10, it could be 2:30 before you make it outside; nearly 3:00 to get into Seattle; then need to head back to the airport at 4:30, 5:00 at the latest.

The Seattle airport isn't very exciting as far as excitement at airports goes... There are a few bars and you could take a leisurely dinner.

Southcenter mall is the closest to the airport if you need to pick anything up or just go stir crazy in the airport, and not much else around that area. Cab fare shouldn't be too much and you don't need to use a freeway to get there.

Light rail could get you downtown in about a half hour. Not much time (one hour round trip), but you could at least walk around a bit. If I had that much time in a city I've never been to, I'd do that. At a minimum, you'll get a bit of exercise. No traffic problems to hang up you, either, as you're taking the train :).

Vino Volo wine bar! There are also several very good restaurants, a massage place (you could snooze during that ;)) and a mani-pedi salon (all inside the secure zone). There is a huge bank of windows in the center court (near lots of restaurants) where you can get a good view of the airport activity.

I wouldn't even try to get into the city with a four hour layover.

J

Thanks! I was hoping that the airport would have a few things to keep us busy for that amount of time. Re-doing security at a new airport is not my idea of fun. I might step out "naked" while DH watches the bags, and check out where the light rail and hotel shuttle pick-up is, since we'll be using it when we return--Vancouver/Amtrak/Light rail/Sea-Tac.

Our Manchester, NH airport is good for 10 mins. of entertainment. Once you grab something at Dunkin, look at the garden tractors on exhibit, and the clock projected on the floor you are pretty much done;) Of course, you can make it from parking through security and to your gate in 20 mins. too, most days.:D

If I recall, they have a small aviation museum display at SeaTac, and if you're into aviation at all, there is an excellent museum at nearby Boeing Field. It even has a former Air Force One aircraft on display used by JFK, that you can walk through.

Yes, there's a great air museum at Boeing Field, but it's NOT near Sea-Tac; it's in Seattle.

I wouldn't plan on leaving the airport.

If you fly in on SW and leave on Alaska................you may be in another area of the airport. Check online and see. Sometimes you even have to ride a "subway thing" to get to the other area.

I was stuck there for several hours due to a "mechanical problem"..........

They have many, many restaurants...........nice to fast food...........huge windows to watch the planes, etc. from that restaurant area.........each person can get what they like because of the huge variety of places, yet eat together at the tables provided.

Sorry you have a long wait.............as an adult I always have a book but "never" read it cuz I'm so busy people-watching...........

Have as great a time as possible.:)

[quote=bob brown;

I love your quote...............yes, a "return trip" is VERY different..........I hate to have to PAY for food in the airport after a cruise. It should be free; I'm still on vacation.

(Since we pay so far ahead of our cruises, I prefer to think the meals and snacks are FREE when onboard.:p)

Appreciate the help. We both are bookies, but I'm a watcher, too. Would like to relax and eat and maybe nap. Double check all my paperwork a MILLION times. Run through our routines and schedules. The time will probably go fast especially if we have to go to a different area of the airport. Just checking out a real-sized airport will count as an excursion for us:rolleyes:

Good to know that there are choices for the food selection. Going to the airport site to figure out where we're going.

Thanks! I was hoping that the airport would have a few things to keep us busy for that amount of time. Re-doing security at a new airport is not my idea of fun. I might step out "naked" while DH watches the bags, and check out where the light rail and hotel shuttle pick-up is, since we'll be using it when we return--Vancouver/Amtrak/Light rail/Sea-Tac.

Our Manchester, NH airport is good for 10 mins. of entertainment. Once you grab something at Dunkin, look at the garden tractors on exhibit, and the clock projected on the floor you are pretty much done;) Of course, you can make it from parking through security and to your gate in 20 mins. too, most days.:D

We love your airport in Manchester! We have a son near Portland, Maine. It is almost always cheaper to fly to Manchester and very little hassle because it is small. Sometimes we fly to Boston where you can take a nice bus to Portland, but if we are renting a car we always prefer to fly to Manchester. The distance is about the same and Manchester is much easier. Our grandson (14) is flying alone to visit his cousin this summer, and they definitely chose Manchester because he could get lost in Boston. It would be hard to get lost in Manchester!

Nancy

• 2 weeks later...
We love your airport in Manchester! Our grandson (14) is flying alone to visit his cousin this summer, and they definitely chose Manchester because he could get lost in Boston. It would be hard to get lost in Manchester!

Nancy

Yep! It is kid friendly, and easy to meet someone there. We have some nice ski areas like that too where you feel safe turning a group of 10-13 year olds loose to enjoy the day without worrying about wrong turns. We love it here!!

If it was me, I'd stay in the airport and eat at the Anthony's in the food court and then browse the shops there (Fireworks sells stuff you won't find anywhere else and there's also a Made in Washington store, for all your souvenir needs...plus there's a wine bar/store there too). But if you really wanted to get out (it can be a little stir-crazy in an airport) you could take a taxi to the Anthony's in Des Moines, which is on the water there. I'd only even consider it if the weather is nice, otherwise it's not worth the trip through security.

If I'm not mistaken, Southwest does not have interline transfer agreements, so your luggage will not be transferred from your Southwest to your Alaska Airlines flight: if true, you'll have to go down to baggage claim, get your bags, go up to the departures level, and check your bags with Alaska. Then, of course, go through security and go to your gate. I'm not positive, but I don't think Alaska's gates require you to take the airport train to your terminal. After you check in with Alaska, you'd need at least 2 1/2 hours, preferably more, to go across the walkway to the parking structure, walk to the light rail terminal, get a train (hopefully without a long wait), go to downtown Seattle (as noted, takes about 30 mins.), see something quickly, take the train back to the airport, then go through security and go your gate. I'd forget a tour, but if you're good walkers you might in fact have time to go into Seattle and walk to the waterfront area and get back in time for your 6:55 flight. On the bright side, you might get nice views of Mt. Rainier from the airport (we did last week). We didn't see much of interest in the airport, but didn't look hard. We stayed across the street, at the Hilton, which has a very good, albeit not inexpensive, restaurant (Spencer's). My wife had Alaskan wild salmon, which she said was the best she had on our trip, which included Portland and Seattle.

We ate at a different restaurant in Des Moines, and I think it was about a 20 minute drive from our airport hotel. I'd check on the taxi fare before doing that. Not sure if it'd be a lot more for a taxi to downtown Seattle (though could be quicker, due to traffic). By the way, if you are thinking of taking the light rail into Seattle just for the view along the way, there isn't much of one. Goes through some non-descript suburban and industrial areas, then goes underground when it reaches downtown Seattle.

p.s. I see you aren't checking bags. I know of no locker/luggage storage service at SEA, so, yes, you'd have to carry your bags with you. Could be a bit much for a quick trip to, and walk around, Seattle. Unless you're willing to bring yourself to check your bags on the second flight, I'd forget going into Seattle. I don't think you can bank on having enough time for a package tour, assuming you find one with the perfect pick-up and drop-off times, IF there even is one that picks you up from the airport. Since after you get off your Southwest flight all you'd need to do to check your bags is go up one level to departures, check-in your bags at the same time you check in for your flight (unless you can check in online), why not let Alaska take your bags, and free you for the light rail and walking tour on your own?

I'm pretty sure there's still a bag storage place on the baggage claim level at SeaTac (unless they've closed fairly recently). It's a private company, and they also do shipping services IIRC.

Archived