2010 Hurricane Predicitions, Yikes!!

Whitnee1

I watched that report yesterday. Yes, I believe they may be correct this time. The weather has been screwy all over the world this past year or so, and it wouldn't surprise me one little bit if the hurricanes are numerous this year. Glad we don't have a cruise booked for this summer and fall in the Caribbean this year.

You're usually safe in early July. We did a cruise in the Caribbean in mid-July and the weather was very hot and extremely humid.

While the hurricane predictions are a bit daunting, all they are is an educated guess. Don't worry and enjoy your pre-cruise countdown because this is something you just can't control (unfortunately!).

Compare predictions for the past few years with the actual reality and you would find that these predictions are just guesses.

If they turn out to be accurate, it is a coincidence.

Looking at the full range of experts' predictions for this season, the number is 14-24 named storms. With that big a range, there is a good chance that one of these many experts will be correct and the others wrong.

Again, they are just predictions & living in SW FL we keep our fingers crossed about this time every year. Early July is usually not very active with storms.

With our work schedules & jobs we usually have to cruise in the fall - September/October & have had itineraries changed because of storms in the Atlantic. But heck - just get me on the ship - I know that we will be steered clear of any impending gales!:eek:

We are taking our third cruise in the heart of the hurricane season this year. I admit, the predictions are a bit concerning; however, we are travelling with medical, trip cancellation and trip interuption insurance. My largest concern is the potential delays in getting in and out of Ft Lauderdale. We are going up the day before (as usual) and hoping for the best.

Once I get on the ship, I am not concerned at all about potential itinerary changes, and anyone who travels in peak hurricane season should feel the same.

Frankly, since Hurricane season runs June-November, you'd miss half a year of cruising potential if you felt nervous enough to skip it.

I am cruising in September. I figure they are not going to let a multi multi million dollar vessel with 3000 passengers get in harms way. Its Eastern Carribean so mostly scuba, snorkling and shopping. Not a big deal if we are detoured.....

As per the link below the National Huricane Center is prediciting a very active hurricane season for the Atlantic Coast. I sure hope it does not impact my 7/2 CB cruise. It would really stink to end up in Halifax. :(:(

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3898

My theory is that if the Government says something, it most definitely will not occur whether it's good, bad, or indifferent. So don't worry about it (and halifax is a nice stop, in any case)

Hi There,

On our last Caribbean cruise we had to go clockwise rather than anti clockwise around the Caribbean due to a Hurricane, thats the advantage of a cruise you just move out of harms way, I feel so sorry for the folks on the islands that have to sit and wait to get hit, after seeing the damage done.

yours Shogun

Ships will go around the storms if they form. After experiencing hurricanes Katrina and Rita, I actually I think I'd prefer to be on a cruise ship than on land.:D At least on the ship, one would have electricity, A/C, good food, hot water, and loads of fun & companionship. We were without the first 4 things on that list (plus no home phone service - just cell/text when we could get it) for 17 days during Hurricane Rita, and our poor friends & relatives in New Orleans experienced so much worse for so much longer during Katrina. :(

And having been to Halifax, I wouldn't mind being "stuck" there at all! The city is wonderful and the people are amongst the nicest you will meet anywhere!

One would miss nearly a half year of cruising if one didn't sail during hurricane season. And after all - it is only a prediction. The National Weather Service predicted pretty much the same thing for 2009. We didn't even have a ripple in the Gulf, thank the good Lord! We are praying for the same results this year.

Smooth Sailing to Everyone! :)

I was raised in Central Florida and now live on the coast of Georgia. I have seen the eye of a hurricane from inside it!:eek: There is a huge difference when you can move out of the way. I have been in the Carribbean while 2 hurricanes were in the tropics ( I could only cruise durring the summer because I was a teacher). I also sailed another time with yet another storm.

The cruiselines changed schedules and ports to give us wonderful cruises. When the weather Channel shows that huge cloud formation it makes it seem as if everything for 500 miles is blowing at 100mph. The center of the storm is where the main action and winds are occuring. Yes, seas may be rougher but they found paths that put an island between the ship and the storm and everything was fine.

There are folks that think if they swim in the ocean then a shark will eat them. There are folks that think if they hike a mountain then a bear will eat them. Well, people do get eaten by sharks and bears but it is just not that likely. Seeing a bear or shark might make the trip.

Yes, we will see hurricanes this year and yes, they may impact those of us sailing but it is not going to worry me. Of course, I swim with sharks and feed bears. Oh My!

On the other side, I do worry about the hurricane coming to my house. I am near water and can't move it !!:D

Oh Lord Please no hurricanes this year I'm doing 2 Transats one in July the other in Aug

Go AWAY BAD STORMS!!! I can't fly because of volcanoe now i can't take a ship because of hurricanes ..where is Scotty when you need him...BEAM ME up HOME SCOTTY!!!!!

Michele

Yes, but ending up in Halifax is the chance you took booking a cruise :eek:;) Predictions are just that, predictions. Until the day comes no one knows what is going to happen. Hope for the best and know that an entirely different itinerary could be in your future. Personally I wouldn't be very worried about a 7/2 cruise having a much different itinerary than originally planned. Good Luck!:)

Several years ago my father was on a Princess cruise from Fort Laudersale that had to charge schedule and provide alternate ports due to a hurricane.

But when it became time to return to Fort Lauderdale, that is where the hurricane was headed. so the ship spent two extra days at Cozumel (one of the alternate ports) gratis before being able to return to Fort Lauderdale.

A nice 9 day cruise for the price of 7 days.

Also once met a woman on a Princess cruise who lives in a condo on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. She said that after one recent hurricane, her condo was without power, so she called her travel agent and asked to be put on the next Princess ship out of Fort Lauderdale.

She spent the next week in comfort with electricity, air conditioning as well as 24 hour food, and then returned to her condo which by then had electricity restored. Also got a good rate to help fill up the ship at the last minute.

Several years ago my father was on a Princess cruise from Fort Laudersale that had to charge schedule and provide alternate ports due to a hurricane.

But when it became time to return to Fort Lauderdale, that is where the hurricane was headed. so the ship spent two extra days at Cozumel (one of the alternate ports) gratis before being able to return to Fort Lauderdale.

A nice 9 day cruise for the price of 7 days.

Also once met a woman on a Princess cruise who lives in a condo on the beach in Fort Lauderdale. She said that after one recent hurricane, her condo was without power, so she called her travel agent and asked to be put on the next Princess ship out of Fort Lauderdale.

She spent the next week in comfort with electricity, air conditioning as well as 24 hour food, and then returned to her condo which by then had electricity restored. Also got a good rate to help fill up the ship at the last minute.

There ya' go!! My point exactly. I sure wish we'd have had a cruise ship to get on after Hurricane Rita. We'd have gone in a heartbeat!! :)

Archived