Civitavecchia to Florence by Train

ROJester

Efficient, to me, means time. To you, it might mean money.

Via Rome Termini, the trip takes about three hours, but costs between Euro 48,50 - 53,00 (in second class),

Via Pisa Centrale, the trip takes four and a quarter hours; however, it only costs Euro 17,15. This trip will be all regional trains, not as comfortable or as well taken care of.

As for scenery, you're not along the coast very much on the Pisa run, so I don't think I'd use that as a decision criterion.

Definitely time during this trip! If there's no advantage to enjoying some scenery along the coast, I prefer to take the nicer, high speed train out of Rome. Is it fairly easy to get around in the Rome Termini? Also, is it a easy walk with bags from the port entrance to the train station in Civitavecchia? Thank you for your kind assistance!

From the port entrance, where the shuttle bus drops you off, to the train station is less than half a mile, all flat walking, all on sidewalks. Depending on how much (and how large) your luggage is, this may or may not be easy.

At the Civitavecchia station, you may need to climb down one set of stairs and up another, depending on which track your train leaves from. There is no elevator. You should buy your tickets all the way to Florence at Civitavecchia, there is no need to stop again for tickets in Termini.

At Termini, most trains from Civitavecchia come into the far south tracks, which are a couple of city blocks walking distance from the main station and tracks. You must allow a good ten minutes to make this walk, so don't schedule a tight connection.

Termini itself is easy to get around. There are information officers on foot near the tracks if you need them, but it's pretty self explainatory. All you need to do is find your train on the departures board and note which track (binario) it will leave from.

More information on Termini: http://www.grandistazioni.it/cms/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=ae2172ceeae7b110VgnVCM1000003f16f90aRCRD

Archived