Seeing Totem Poles in Ketchikan

dianelevene

We were thinking of taking our kids to see the totem poles in Ketchikan. What is the best place to go to see them. I have read up a bit about Saxman Village and Totem Bight but I don't know which one to go to. Should I book a tour or is there a good way to see one of these places on our own? What else should we make sure we do in Ketchikan? This is actually one of our shorter days in port and we will only be there from 7 am until 3 pm. Thanks for any help!

We did an independent tour through Sourdough Tours that went both places. We thought it was great -- the settings are very different and our guide was excellent. We went to Totem Bight first, then Saxman, then were dropped off a Creek Street and went to Dolly's House (also included), and then walked back to the ship and did some shopping on the way.

I think our timing was about the same, and we were back on the ship in time to eat the lunch time BBQ by the pool.

If the kids are young and you just want a totem look. :) There are plenty of totems right in Ketchikan, Whale Park and the entrance to Creek St. For more take the funicular up to Fox Westmark and walk out the back, beautiful totems in the drive. There will be plenty of tours available of Saxman right from the dock visitor center. A tour is necessary - because it is not self guided and the commentary is necessary to get much out of it. :)

We were thinking of taking our kids to see the totem poles in Ketchikan. What is the best place to go to see them. I have read up a bit about Saxman Village and Totem Bight but I don't know which one to go to. Should I book a tour or is there a good way to see one of these places on our own? What else should we make sure we do in Ketchikan? This is actually one of our shorter days in port and we will only be there from 7 am until 3 pm. Thanks for any help!

Hi!

I favor Saxman Village for the carving shed where Native craftsmen are working. It is fascinating. Not matter where you go, I suggest a tour so that you can fully understand the history and stories behind the totems. That brings them alive

Have a great cruise!

You willl not be able to go into the carving shed or dances unless you are on a cruise tour. We booked a Saxman village tour from the tour counter and included a city tour, but by the time we finally got to saxman, it was closed. The driver/guide (a Tlinget) said the silvers were running and they had all gone fishing at 2pm!!!!OK!!! Bus as I said, I don't think we would have gotten in carving shed anyway. She took us around to all the poles and gave plenty of commentary. Didn't get to go out to Totem Blight Park but at least we saw some since we didn't get to see it last trip either, due to Misty Fjords tour, etc.

You willl not be able to go into the carving shed or dances unless you are on a cruise tour. We booked a Saxman village tour from the tour counter and included a city tour, but by the time we finally got to saxman, it was closed. The driver/guide (a Tlinget) said the silvers were running and they had all gone fishing at 2pm!!!!OK!!! Bus as I said, I don't think we would have gotten in carving shed anyway. She took us around to all the poles and gave plenty of commentary. Didn't get to go out to Totem Blight Park but at least we saw some since we didn't get to see it last trip either, due to Misty Fjords tour, etc.

I have walked into the carving shed every time I have gone?? You may have to wait for a tour to exit but this is a BIG feature of Saxman Village- I need more clairfication. :) http://www.capefoxtours.com has a shed visit in their description?

Is it overkill to take both the Totem Bight & Saxman Village tours? I would love to book the combo, but with this being our 1st trip to Alaska & our 1st cruise in 12 yrs, I feel more comfortable going through Celebrity. I plan to book the fishing excursion through an independant company, & I'm leary of booking too many different independants. TIA :)

I didn't feel it was overkill. The settings of the two sites are so different. As far as independent bookings, this one was an easy one. We docked right at the pier (I don't know if you ever have to tender in Ketchikan), and there is a visitors center located right there that has desks for all the independent tours. We just went to the desk for Sourdough Tours, checked in, waited about 45 minutes until tour time (shopped a little while we waited) and then met our tour guide & van.

It was only our 2nd cruise, and I was a little nervous as this was our 1st ever independent booking. We had absolutely no problems. I would be a lot more hesitant to use an independent for a long tour, or if I was tendering into the port, but neither of those factors applied for us.

we drove to Totem Bight while visiting Ketchikan aboard Infinity in August '03. there's a small visitor center where you can get info -- we also passed various clumps of tour groups and listened in for a moment or two -- we much prefer to take our time exploring sights like this so between that preference and the cost savings, we avoid "excursions" as much as possible. Lots of info on TB on its site:

http://www.dnr.state.ak.us/parks/units/totembgh.htm

all this is making me wish our return trip was closer than it is! :) off to rent my Ketchikan car ...

TR

Mercury AK 8/26/05

Millennium EC 12/04, Mercury CA-MX 4/04, Infinity AK 8/03, Century WC 3/03, Century EC 9/02

We rented a car for the day we are in Ketchikan. We were going to do some hiking and then go see the totem poles. Are you saying to not go to the totem parks on your own? Can we get the information from somewhere other than the guides??

Misty

Yes you need a guide in Saxman Village- it is not self guided. You can stop in the gift shop and inquire about a guide and admission to the dancers. But a lot of times the dancers are booked by cruisetours only.

We are leaning towards going to Saxman. I think that my husband and I will enjoy it. With the carving shed and the dancers, I am sure my little girls will like it too. It sounds like a nice way to spend our time in this port.

To get the dancers as a sure thing you will need a ship excursion. But before going, verify with the the Ketchikan visitor center and call the Saxman Village Gift shop if the dancers can be purchased from them. The ship has a big contract with the dancers.

If we book Saxmon Village through Celebrity for 10am, will we be able to book Totem Bight SP elsewhere? It's not possible to do both tours through Celebrity, because they have conflicting times. I also checked Shoretrips & again conflicting times. We would love to figure out a way to see both of these, in their entirety, includings dancers, carvers, etc. Any suggestions? TIA :)

If we book Saxmon Village through Celebrity for 10am, will we be able to book Totem Bight SP elsewhere? It's not possible to do both tours through Celebrity, because they have conflicting times. I also checked Shoretrips & again conflicting times. We would love to figure out a way to see both of these, in their entirety, includings dancers, carvers, etc. Any suggestions? TIA :)

Sourdough does the combo tour. Forget Shoretrips, they are booking agents only and know little about Alaska. Inquire direct for direct information. :) Request the Ketchikan visitor guide http://www.visit-ketchikan.com and contact as above for reference on the dancers.

Budget Queen,

Does the Sourdough combo tour include the dancers? I tried to call & ask, but noone was in the office. If it does, I will definitely book through them. If not, we will want to book the tours seperately. I just discovered that it is possible to see them seperately through Shoretrips, but I'm not sure if the Saxmon Village tour through them includes the dancers either. Hopefully, we'll get lucky & one of them will. Thanks again for all you help. :)

Budget Queen,

Does the Sourdough combo tour include the dancers? I tried to call & ask, but noone was in the office. If it does, I will definitely book through them. If not, we will want to book the tours seperately. I just discovered that it is possible to see them seperately through Shoretrips, but I'm not sure if the Saxmon Village tour through them includes the dancers either. Hopefully, we'll get lucky & one of them will. Thanks again for all you help. :)

No generally the dancer's are not included. As I mentioned above- contact the Saxman Gift shop directly and inquire on the availablity. There is NO rush to book this tour, it is available all day from many venders. This is a tour that has plenty of walk up space. If the dancer's are a priority, then consider the ship tour which includes them.

Our friends did a totem pole tour (not sure if it was Saxman or Totem Blight) out of Ketchikan last August. It was a bus tour. There children are 5 and 11. They HATED it and fell asleep on the bus!!! They couldn't wait for the tour to be over. We saw some totem poles in Vancouver that were nice and our kids enjoyed that.

Archived