Piraeus excursions

docschus

We did a one day private tour (during a post cruise stay in Athens) of Corinth, Mycenae, Epidaurus and Napflion .... very interesting and scenic!

Not meaning to hijack this thread, but I'm planning to do this tour in October after disembarking my cruise. Can I ask you for any thoughts? There is a lot to see at these stops -- did you feel rushed at all? About how long did the tour last, in total? Did you have a good amount of time for Mycenae (what I'm most interested in...)? What about Epidavros -- did you have a chance to see more than just the theatre? (I'm interested in the Sanctuary of Asclepius in particular, also the museum). Did you get to Acro-Corinth as well as Corinth itself?

Thanks for any thoughts and sorry for all the questions. I am just trying to get an idea how much of an "in depth" experience I can expect.

Hi Cynthia,

Our driver picked us up when we disembarked from our cruise in Piraeus...shortly after 8 a.m. & dropped us off at our hotel near the Acropolis at ~6 p.m.

It was a full day, and although we didn't feel rushed, I know we would have benefitted from more time in some places. Our driver was very flexible with timing and told us to take our time at each site. It was actually a bit confusing because he didn't specify a time to be back, so we took what we thought was a suitable amount of time and then met up with him at the car (at the sites where he couldn't accompany us.)

Corinth Canal was a short stop - 20-30 minutes.

Ancient Corinth - an hour.

Didn't hike up Acrocorinth (we hate to miss an opportunity to hike, but I think we would have needed another hour to fit this in.)

Nemea - about 45 minutes

Mycenae, museum, Tomb of Agamemnon about 1.5 hours

Nauplion - brief stop for lunch and a quick drive-by tour (didn't get to the fortress).

Epidaurus - about 1.5 hours, including the museum. We did have time to wander amongst the ruins of the hospital/spa area ... but I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to as the sanctuary?

Enjoy your day ... we did it in October as well and enjoyed great weather (comfortable temps!).

Hi Cynthia,

Our driver picked us up when we disembarked from our cruise in Piraeus...shortly after 8 a.m. & dropped us off at our hotel near the Acropolis at ~6 p.m.

It was a full day, and although we didn't feel rushed, I know we would have benefitted from more time in some places. Our driver was very flexible with timing and told us to take our time at each site. It was actually a bit confusing because he didn't specify a time to be back, so we took what we thought was a suitable amount of time and then met up with him at the car (at the sites where he couldn't accompany us.)

Corinth Canal was a short stop - 20-30 minutes.

Ancient Corinth - an hour.

Didn't hike up Acrocorinth (we hate to miss an opportunity to hike, but I think we would have needed another hour to fit this in.)

Nemea - about 45 minutes

Mycenae, museum, Tomb of Agamemnon about 1.5 hours

Nauplion - brief stop for lunch and a quick drive-by tour (didn't get to the fortress).

Epidaurus - about 1.5 hours, including the museum. We did have time to wander amongst the ruins of the hospital/spa area ... but I'm not sure if that is what you are referring to as the sanctuary?

Enjoy your day ... we did it in October as well and enjoyed great weather (comfortable temps!).

Great info -- thanks! I'm not sure whether I'll make it up to Acro-Corinth either; after an intensive cruise I may say no. And yes, I was referring to the hospital ruins. I was reading something earlier today that referred to it as a sanctuary (I guess there was a temple to Asclepius there somewhere....;))

Archived