Solistice, CPAP and Outlet Near Bed

COLandlocked

For those of you who have sailed on the Solistice, I am hoping you can help me.

My DH sleeps with a CPAP machine. I have heard that the nightstands on the Solistice are small (I am not worried about that) but is there an electrical outlet near the bed? We are in a Deluxe View Stateroom Veranda, 1B, Cabin 9199.

I saw on another post that they are not allowing personal extension cords, so I need to know if we are going to have a problem so I can request one right away.

Thanks to anyone (or everyone) who can help me.

For those of you who have sailed on the Solistice, I am hoping you can help me.

My DH sleeps with a CPAP machine. I have heard that the nightstands on the Solistice are small (I am not worried about that) but is there an electrical outlet near the bed? We are in a Deluxe View Stateroom Veranda, 1B, Cabin 9199.

I saw on another post that they are not allowing personal extension cords, so I need to know if we are going to have a problem so I can request one right away.

Thanks to anyone (or everyone) who can help me.

No, there is not an outlet near the bed, I travel with a small fan (hot flashes:eek:) & used my extension cord to plug it in to the vanity plug (that's the only plugs)

We were on the Equinox with a CPAP machine. Our bed was located near the balcony door. Only outlets were above a small shelf near the bathroom. Our 9 foot extension cord was just long enough. Even if the bed was close to the bathroom, an extension cord would certainly be required. As the cord crossed over the walkway to the bathroom, we had to cover the cord with towels to prevent any accidental tripping. Just not a good set-up for CPAP users.

Disneyfolks and Cruise Kitty,

Thank you for your prompt response. I was afraid of that. We have mostly sailed on HAL and they do have outlets next to the beds.

I guess we will have to be carefull of all the electronic items too. We will try to bring an extension cord and maybe a power strip. If they take them, well they take them. Do you think I would be better off carrying them on or packing them?

Thanks again for helping me.

I would call the special health concerns department to have the electrical needs for your device waiting for you in your cabin.

We had a Celebrity suite on our sailing and only had on outlet on the desk. The outlet in the bathroom didn't work at all.

As TRadle stated, contact special needs department and they will take care of it for you. They responded by email and I took that with me, just in case I needed it. BTW, I contacted them 2 weeks prior to the cruise and it they had both a long cord and a gallon of distilled water for me. I stored mine on the second shelf during the day and placed it on the couch at night and had no problems. With the phone ontop of the "small" bedside table there is no room for the cpap on the bedside table that will allow good airflow. Luckily the couch was on my "normal" side of the bed.

Here you go:

Celebrity Cruises accommodates guests with medical conditions that require the use of dialysis or oxygen. These guests should contact us to discuss policies and procedures for bringing the appropriate equipment onboard.

If you have another type of medical condition that has not been mentioned, please inquire about policies and procedures that may affect your cruise. Call us at 1-866-592-7225 (voice), send an e-mail to special_needs@celebrity.com or have your local travel agent or International Representative contact us.

Note: If you have another type of medical condition that has not been mentioned, please inquire about policies and procedures that may affect your cruise.

On our 5/16 cruise we still were able to use our heavy duty powerstrip that had an automatic cut-off if it overloaded so not sure if that is why we were able to use it. With so many people charging, phones, cameras, laptops, e-readers, just to name a few, I guess they are drawing the line somewhere.

We were on the Equinox with a CPAP machine. Our bed was located near the balcony door. Only outlets were above a small shelf near the bathroom. Our 9 foot extension cord was just long enough. Even if the bed was close to the bathroom, an extension cord would certainly be required. As the cord crossed over the walkway to the bathroom, we had to cover the cord with towels to prevent any accidental tripping. Just not a good set-up for CPAP users.

I agree that we had the same situation on Solstice. Our 1A cabin has the same electrical availability as the 1B. We always travel with a multi-plug surge protector(sometimes 2) and a heavy duty extension cord with CPAPs. Closest plug in is at the desk. We did need the full length of extension cord (9 ft) and would bring a 12 ft next time. Unfortunately the extension cord did need to cross the room and was a safety risk. I did have our cabin steward secure it to the floor with a duct type tape.:o

I also included my disappointment in the electrical lay out of the cabin in my early in the cruise satisfaction survey. I can assure you that the comments were read and customer service staff (don't recall the exact title) did contact me about my safety concerns.:)

She did tell me they were not permitted "by law" to have electrical outlets near the beds. I did not challenge this...but is interesting to know that HAL does not operate under the same law. Wonder if it has to do with where the ships are built...all in Germany??? Or perhaps other factors.:confused:

I would encourage all with CPAPs to continue to list the lack electrical access near the bed as a safety risk for them when you complete your surveys.:rolleyes:

POWER to the people!:D

WOW, thank you all. My DH is very embarrassed that he needs to travel with a CPAP and it feels good to know that there are a lot of people out there that have the same travel concerns.

I will contact the special needs department tomorrow to make arrangements.

Again, that you all for your great suggestions.

WOW, thank you all. My DH is very embarrassed that he needs to travel with a CPAP and it feels good to know that there are a lot of people out there that have the same travel concerns.

As a health care professional, I encourage your DH to be proud that he was willing to have his sleep problem assessed and treated. When untreated it leads to some types of permanent heart and breathing problems. It also puts everyone at risk for extremely fatigued drivers on the road that are not appropriately alert, and may even doze off while driving.:eek:

Google "sleep apnea" and you will see the risks if not treated. 15-20% known diagnosis....and more don't know they have it.

Wearing his CPAP is good for your DH, your family and the world.:) It is an inconvenience...but definitely worth it!!!

We've been on 3 Solstice class cruises, bed close to balcony and closet and an extension cord works just fine. We ask for a second bath mat to put over it at night and there hasn't been a trip yet. The cruise line has extension cords in case you forget one.

If you have sleep apnea, not sure why you need to be proud to have it diagnosed.:confused: It's a medical issue and if you don't want to stop breathing while you sleep then you just deal with the CPAP, no biggie.

Your DH is not alone, my FIL uses one too, unfortunately, he won't travel with it, so he only will travel to their vacations homes:( Not embarassed, just thinks "it's too much trouble" MIL won't go with out him either. I just don't get it. Give your DH a big hug for not letting this hold him (or you) back.

If he didn't travel with it or sleep with it, we would probably be divorced after years of snoring that would "rock the ship". He has a heart condition and we live in altitude (CO) so he really has no choice. At home he has oxygen attached to it but the doctors say that going to sea level he doesn't need the oxygen just the machine, so that is a good thing.

I don't think he is embarrassed more then it is a hassle sometimes, airport secruity not knowing how to handle it, etc.

But it makes for a better night sleep for everyone, I am all for it.

Happy cruising to all CPAP users (and everyone else too!)

And now Celebrity is banning extension cords.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this, but so far all I've seen are reports from a single ship where this is occurring. Can you please point me to where you've seen that this is a fleet-wide initiative? Thanks.

DH just got his CPAP 2 weeks ago, and what a difference it has made for him (and me).

I am glad I caught this thread. I just emailed Celebrity requesting his "special need" be accommodated. We sail a week from tomorrow!

I just spoke to Celebrity Access and they have confirmed an extension cord and a gallon of distilled water will be in the cabin waiting for us.

Thank you all!!!!

One more thing to cross off the list - CPAP arrangements - CHECK!

I hate the danged CPAP!!!

I had an Angioplasty and two stents implanted in September and in December my Cardiologist sent me to the sleep clinic for a diagnosis and they decided I needed to sleep with one...not drastic, my Cardiologist told me I can even leave it home when I'm on vacation...

But, you know, I'd rather be safe than sorry...so I bring it along...

My unit has a humidifier which detaches...so, for the sake of lighter and easier traveling, I only take the main unit--much smaller, easily fit on the small nightstand even with the phone and alleviates the need for distilled water...

...and I don't really notice a great difference...

When we were on the Summit in March/April, I brought an extension cord...no problem except the hassle of having to string it the width of the cabin...I plugged it in before going to bed and unplugged it upon waking each day, so tripping was not a major concern...

When I started reading these threads, I became very concerned...We are leaving June 30 for an extended 26 night vacation, the centerpiece of which is a 14 night cruise on Eclipse...So I NEED to take an extension cord--in case I need one in any of our hotels in addition to the cruise ship...And I really don't want to have to rely on the ship providing one...

And, being that I must have it, I don't want the hassle of dealing with security and getting it confiscated.

I just called the "Access" Department and spoke with a gentleman named Jonathan who assured me that my extension cord would NOT be confiscated...That Celebrity WOULD provide one if I forgot mine and needed one, but that they have no problem with my bringing my own...

Seriously, I wish they would just provide an outlet near the bed...

My assumption as to why they don't have them is this:

It's a design issue that saves money. Cabins are placed into the hull back-to-back. The bed on your wall backs to the bed wall in the adjoining cabin. On the other side of your cabin, the desk wall with the outlets backs to the desk and outlet in the adjoining cabin on that side. So, electrical wiring throughout the ship only runs through every other wall...Over the course of an entire ship, that saves a lot of wiring...The bathrooms, hence water and sewer/drainage sytems, also run back to back. Over the course of a large ship construction, this saves a ton of money.

How do I know this? My first job out of Law school many years ago was with Motel 6, Inc. Motel 6, believe it or not, was the most profitable company in the hotel business. To really understand why, one has to think back to the 1950s and before. There were two kinds of hotels/motels: Nice hotels with multiple floors and elevators and interior hallways and lots of wasted space. Elegant, but expensive to build and maintain. And then there were "motels"...Some were just like the hotels with interior corridors and elevators, but most were the old "Court" style--one story, usually a big "U" shape around a pool and parking lot with identical rooms one next to the other. The two entrepreneurs who founded Motel 6 were innovators who actually "invented" the modern motel. They greatly decreased the construction cost per room by backing rooms up one to the other, mirroring the rooms with bathrooms backing up to one another and by stacking the rooms two stories with stairs rather than elevators...A single spur line of utilities--water, sewer, electric, etc. ran under the center of the building and the spur up int0o the building at each corner where 8 rooms came together serviced all 8 rooms. What the Motel 6 guys figured out was that these utility lines were one of the most expensive items in construction...and they just cut the length of lines needed to fraction of the other models... Today, of course, most everyone in the buiness follow's Motel 6's model...it makes sense...

So, I think what Celebrity/RCI has done is to cut the number of Electrical lines they need to service the cabin areas of the ship in half...That, not the attempt to cut down uage, is the motivation.

HAL has always had an outlet by the beds. Maybe becuase the tend to cater to an older crowd, but more and more people are sleeping with these machines. It just doesn't make sense to me. Also, with people having more and more electronic equipment that they travel with, you wonder why they don't just provide a charging station so they can control the loads better. Just makes me wonder....

Briun Steve,

My DH hated his in the beginning until he got used to it. Then he realized he was getting better sleep. Then, when the added oxygen to it, he says he feels revitalized after sleeping. That hasn't happened in years. Give it the old college try and I am sure you will get used to it.

On our last X cruise, our steward called maintenance and they got us all wired with a grounded extension cord that they taped to the carpet to avoid any trips and falls.

Suggest you go to the special needs section on your cruise reservation and let them know you are traveling with a CPAP machine and will need power at the head of the bed. Or let your TA know and he/she can make the arrangements for you.

thanks for the valuable info. DH travels with a CPAP and we normally bring our own extension cord .. I think we'll still bring ours along, but nice to know that if we can't use ours that the ship will provide one. I will contact the special needs department to make sure they are aware of our requirements.

I'd be happy to be proven wrong on this, but so far all I've seen are reports from a single ship where this is occurring. Can you please point me to where you've seen that this is a fleet-wide initiative? Thanks.

Check the RCCL boards. They have the same experience over there!

To all of you who are talking about taking your CPAP's with you, I have a question:

Have any of you looked into a mandibular advancement device ( a dental appliance) that moves the mandible forward, thus opening your airway? I'm not soliciting or promoting, just genuinely intrigued if any of you have looked into this, or have had it discussed with you by your physician?

Archived