How big of a bag can I carry on

GJM

Leaving on Sat. I was just going to bring a small bag to carry on, but now thinking I may bring a small suitcase with the wheels to bring. Am I allowed that?

Think of it as about the same size as you would fly with. You'll be sending all your carry-on items, (purse, laptop, luggage, etc.) through the scanner onboard the ship, so if it fits, you can take it. If it does not fit, you will be asked to check it and it will be brought to your cabin later that day.

I used to sell luggage my advice is - very long:

Depending on where you are traveling from the luggage and airline industry standards are 22"X9"X14" Height width and depth= 45 linear inches

international 20"X9"X14" height, width and depth.=43 linear inches Some airlines let you on bigger and smaller for a complete list http://www.seatguru.com is helpful in that.

Some airplane overhead bins sizes differ depending on what type of aircraft you are flying.

I also prefer underneath the seat bags less than 18" because I don't want a head trauma from someone elses heavy luggage falling on my head. I'm a less is more kind of gal.

When buying a carry on there are features called "suiters" you can put 1 maybe 2 hanging garments in front flap.(great for the formal wear) some have expansions an extra zipper to give you 2-3 inches more room. Do NOT expand it on the carry-on its not designed to fit in the overhead- I have seen people do this so it depends on bin size.

Also front or back pockets- try also not to over stuff-again it isn't designed to fit in the overhead bin.-again bin size

When purchasing luggage:

Check wheels wheel it around a couple times . and zippers(always keep zippers on top) also play with upright handle if it keeps sticking in the store pass on it- who wants that hassle in the long run.

checking weight of bag if you can't lift it over your head in the store, there is no way you will be able to when filled with your stuff. Bags should weigh normally 10lbs some come lighter 8-9 lbs new poly carbonite stuff and some luggage are going lighter weight.

most are labeled 21" some 22" (trust me misnomer they fit the amount of stuff) 18"or 20" are usually international carry on size. depends on how you pack.

They come in all price ranges,colors and styles. Also ask the question how much I travel and going ot use it if once or twice a year then get a less expensive. If a road warrior, traveling at least 100 days a year traveling invest in a more expensive bag. But trust me even the less expensive luggage will last a good 10 years or more even with lots of cruise travel. Just maintain them by wd40 wheels every few trips, phillips screw driver tighten screws- zippers on top-keeping zipper tabs from being broken or damage.

Sorry if I gave you sensory overload but you will be surprised how many people don't know what I mentioned, unless you have traveled a bit. but the seat guru site keeps current airline guidelines for luggage

Alrana

I used to sell luggage my advice is - very long:

Depending on where you are traveling from the luggage and airline industry standards are 22"X9"X14" Height width and depth= 45 linear inches

international 20"X9"X14" height, width and depth.=43 linear inches Some airlines let you on bigger and smaller for a complete list www.seatguru.com is helpful in that.

Some airplane overhead bins sizes differ depending on what type of aircraft you are flying.

I also prefer underneath the seat bags less than 18" because I don't want a head trauma from someone elses heavy luggage falling on my head. I'm a less is more kind of gal.

When buying a carry on there are features called "suiters" you can put 1 maybe 2 hanging garments in front flap.(great for the formal wear) some have expansions an extra zipper to give you 2-3 inches more room. Do NOT expand it on the carry-on its not designed to fit in the overhead- I have seen people do this so it depends on bin size.

Also front or back pockets- try also not to over stuff-again it isn't designed to fit in the overhead bin.-again bin size

When purchasing luggage:

Check wheels wheel it around a couple times . and zippers(always keep zippers on top) also play with upright handle if it keeps sticking in the store pass on it- who wants that hassle in the long run.

checking weight of bag if you can't lift it over your head in the store, there is no way you will be able to when filled with your stuff. Bags should weigh normally 10lbs some come lighter 8-9 lbs new poly carbonite stuff and some luggage are going lighter weight.

most are labeled 21" some 22" (trust me misnomer they fit the amount of stuff) 18"or 20" are usually international carry on size. depends on how you pack.

They come in all price ranges,colors and styles. Also ask the question how much I travel and going ot use it if once or twice a year then get a less expensive. If a road warrior, traveling at least 100 days a year traveling invest in a more expensive bag. But trust me even the less expensive luggage will last a good 10 years or more even with lots of cruise travel. Just maintain them by wd40 wheels every few trips, phillips screw driver tighten screws- zippers on top-keeping zipper tabs from being broken or damage.

Sorry if I gave you sensory overload but you will be surprised how many people don't know what I mentioned, unless you have traveled a bit. but the seat guru site keeps current airline guidelines for luggage

Alrana

The OP is asking about a Ship not an Airplane.

jtutak,

It feel the information I gave is good for anyone cruising or flying-also some people do fly to the embarkation port. You Didn't have to be snarky. Cruiselines are not as strict about carry-ons as airlines. Put it on the scanner and your done. Sorry I posted..

Alrana

• 9 months later...
Can my wife and I bring 3 bags on board? Is 2 the limit?

Thank you

There is no limit to how many bags you can bring onboard with you - as long as you can carry them all yourself. No limit to how many you can check either.

Arlana

Thanks for the information. It actually answered some questions I was wondering about. Never be sorry you posted on here. For every 1 snarky poster there are 10 really great ones. I am finding that the snarky ones seem to reply to most all the posts, except the ones about snarky posters hehe. I would much rather read an informative post then one that just says "do a search".

We too have carried bags aboard that were too big by airline standards but fit through the scanner with no problem. The bag was longer and wider than what's permitted as airline carry on. The one problem that you may encounter is an over zealous guard who will tell you that the bag is too big and that you must check it, as has happened to us. I told him that I had no problems with the same bag on a previous sailing, he let me pass and told me I would be back to check the bag. It went through with no problem. I did read on this board in the a thread I was answering that the guard would not let the them in the terminal with their bag and made them check it. This same responder had said they used that bag many times and had not problem going through the scanner. I want to say that this incident took place at PC. YMMV

Can my wife and I bring 3 bags on board? Is 2 the limit?

Thank you

If you can easily handle them you can bring more than two carryons on the ship as long as they will fit through the scanner. Please be sure that you can manage with them as the hallways can be narrow and negotiating them and elevators can be a bit of a hassle if you overburden yourself with too many bags.

You can carry on whatever you like, just be aware that you will be lugging it all over the ship if you board earlier than your posted time. Cabins aren't necessarily available right away.

Not true ... large suitcases cannot be carried on ... my full-sized 29-inch, for example, is not going to fit in through the scanner.

Archived