Help. Going nuts, cruising in less then a week.

Another person from NJ. Up in the Northwest corner this time. I can relate. I try to remember everything. I pack our meds and necessary papers first. Then I overpack with 4 suitcases in tow. I try to be very organized and usually forget something. I go home with one suitcase full of never worn clothing. The only time this was a good thing was when we got stuck in PR because there was a snow storm on the east coast and couldn't catch a flight for 5 days. We still had clean clothing. I see others saying just relax. These are the important items and the rest can be purchased on board. I wish that could be me. As a rule men take things more in stride. My husband just went along with the program 2 weeks before our March cruise and gave me the clothes he wanted plus enough to make me happy. I would get home from work each night for 2 weeks before the cruise and add something to the list. It helped that we didn't need spring clothing. We were still getting snow in April up north.

You should love the Explorer. We have been on it 4 times. When you get on board, you can relax. You might benefit from a stretching class in the AM each dayon the ship. This is a free class. It helps to relax you. We are flying on our next cruise. We are taking 1 suitcase each for a 15 day trip because of the airline charges. This may help me reduce my packing with local cruising in the future. I'm sure I will pack just the basic necessities. I have 104 days and wish I was a week away except I don't want to wish the summer away.

Have a great time!!!!!

DH and I are going on a cruise on June 10 (Explorer of the Seas). I am going nuts trying to tie up all of the lose ends - packing, work, packing, cleaning, packing, ironing, packing.... well you get the picture. Plus I am getting very excited. This will be our first time on the Explorer of the Seas. Will I be able to do everything I want to do? Will I love the ship like everyone else does? What if my cloths have wrinkles on them? In addition, I am feeling very anxious because I am afraid I will forget to do something, or forget to pack something. I am also looking foreword to meeting all of the nice people on my roll call. Is there any cure for me? Am I destined to be going nuts, being excited, feeling anxious for the next few days?

Denise---

You're toooo funny! This weekend I will be "super packing" as I feel like I have been "preparing" for months!

I too have packed a "Medicine" cabinet. I used the little Tupperware shot glasses w/lids to put stuff in--advil, tums, etc. and you can see thru them.

Don't worry, we'll be fine. And I won't look at your wrinkles!!!

Kathy R.

You girls are a riot!!! :D:D We are going to have a blast! No matter how much I iron... use plastic and tissue paper between the clothes it is inevitable that there will be wrinkles. Who cares, we will be having so much fun it just doesn't matter.

Denise it sounds like Kathy packs like me. I too bring a medicine cabinet of supplies after getting a terrible sore throat on a cruise and stopping in every port for cold remedies. Since we are limited to what we many need on a ship I bring those just in case things. So between all of us if you forget something you can just borrow it from us and if we do we will borrow from you. ;) Don't forget if we need extra cash we know we can borrow that from Bamelin! :eek: ;) :D (j/k Bam!)

See ya next week!

Kathy

You girls are a riot!!! .... We are going to have a blast! Don't forget if we need extra cash we know we can borrow that from Bamelin! :eek: ;) :D (j/k Bam!)

See ya next week!

Kathy

Kathy,

I didn't think we were going to "borrow" money from Bamelin, I thought we were going to help him spend it. :eek: :D :D

We are going to have a blast. Less then a week until we board.

Denise

Kathy,

I didn't think we were going to "borrow" money from Bamelin, I thought we were going to help him spend it. :eek: :D :D

We are going to have a blast. Less then a week until we board.

Denise

ROTFL....that sounds even better! :D :D :D

Kathy

Kathy (aka Rosie603) and Kathy (aka Kid6183)

You both gave me more to worry about :eek:. Now I have to prepare the drug store and buy tissue paper and plastic :eek::D:D. But what do you use the tissue paper and plastic for? I know, I will print the door signs on tissue paper, then cover them in plastic. Then, they will stay wrinkle free.

Gotta go ladies, my suitcases are getting hungry.

Denise

If you layer plastic cleaner bags between your clothes, nothing will wrinkle. Pressing is cheap. Dry cleaning won't break the bank. I've learned to pack basics. Evening wear is simple black. (Travelers from Chicos is great.) DH wears a dark suit. Nobody notices anyway. Take comfortable shoes for walking in ports. A small purse or neck wallet is handy for Seapass card which is the size of a credit card. It's also the key to your room. I was frantic as our first cruise was Alaska, and we lived in South Texas at the time. I can now pack in a 22" carry-on ... that was such a milestone!

Wookeef, Cbatsea, NJnewbie, and Ama-sam,

Your all right. This kind of excitement is the good kind. I hope I never get so used to cruising, vacationing, and other "good things", that they become common place and loose their luster.

Kathy (aka Rosie603) and Kathy (Kd6183), packing is done; house almost finished. I am ready to party. How about you all.

Everyone else, thanks for your replies. I will relax now, and enjoy the few days before the cruise, as well as the cruise itself.

We've been living in our Yardville house for the past 22 years, AND I also grew up in Yardville..so maybe I know you're husband? I graduated in '81 from Hamilton West.

I'm feeling calmer now that I've finished all my running around, phone calls, instructions with the neighbor, AND packing. So now I can sit back and relax....if that's at all possible! :eek::p

Hi NJnewbie - although you're on the cruise now, I will still respond. Hope you're having a good time on your first day of cruising. It's a small world...my husband graduated Hamilton West in '84.:)

Wookeef, Cbatsea, NJnewbie, and Ama-sam,

Your all right. This kind of excitement is the good kind. I hope I never get so used to cruising, vacationing, and other "good things", that they become common place and loose their luster.

Kathy (aka Rosie603) and Kathy (Kd6183), packing is done; house almost finished. I am ready to party. How about you all.

Everyone else, thanks for your replies. I will relax now, and enjoy the few days before the cruise, as well as the cruise itself.

Denise....I agree packing for a cruise is wonderful stress I could take that kind of stress all day everyday. :D Packed all the suitcases today they are set to go. Few little odds and ends to put in carry on at the last minute and a little more cleaning and I am ready to sail. Really looking forward do a DOD when we get on board and let the vacation begin! ;) :D :D

Kathy

Sleepless & kd6183---

I'm cracking up at this thread!! I should have subscribed...I missed all the fun! Yes, please LAMINATE my door sign, will ya?

As far as my "medicine cabinet", my DH and I went to Aruba on our honeymoon and got burnt. We had to buy like a $20 bottle of Aloe. So now, I've learned to expect the unexpected.

I KNOW I've overpacked, but you never know what you'll be in the mood to wear!:p My DH is so mad he has to bring so many "nice" clothes. But, I told him, "so is everyone else!" We have been going to the Poconos the last couple of years so we've been pretty much casual with clothes--hiking during the day and just small resturants or me cooking at the condo we rent. Nothing fancy. I told him I wanted a vacation where I didn't have to pack ANY FOOD and do ANY COOKING:D. Is that so wrong?!

See ya,

Kathy R.

Sleepless,

You are going to have a great time. You probably will pack too much, but for the most part, if you forget something you can usually buy it. It may be more than you would normally pay, but that's the price of a vacation.

Just remember, for the most part, you will never again see the people you cruise with, so if someone thinks your clothes are too wrinkled, or don't match - don't let it bother you. It's your cruise, so go and enjoy. BTW... The Downy Wrinkle release does work.

The Explorer is a wonderful ship. You will love her. Most of all, have fun on your cruise.

The "cure" only comes when you walk onto the ship...

I agree completely. I also am 'cured" when the luggage arrives to the room and it is all hung up and put away. Then its time to put all worries aside and enjoy. If you forgot something you can always buy it somewhere. I usually bring Downy wrinkles away to remove wrinkles from clothes.

Jan

Archived