anchorge car rental

midwife56

where will you be before Anchorage??? If flying in- then pick up the car at the airport and look for a downtown drop off, if coming in via cruiseline transfer- again take it to the airport and pick up your car. Your biggest options for cars however will be the airport, may be the cheapest too? There is Dollar, Thrify, Payless, Alamo etc. I stay in a hotel that has train and airport shuttles since I have arrived by rail then picked up my car the next day. Taxis back and forth are costly.

Actually you save money by not picking up at the airport if possible. Be prepared to pay an inconceivable amount in taxes if you rent at ANC. For example: I have a weekly rate in June of 218.00 (National). Taxes add almost 100 dollars, brining the total up to about 305 bucks for the week. This was the lowst total of any company. Enterprise does their thing off airport, and therefore does not charge as much in taxes.

th

Keep checking the national car rental sites thru Orbitz, Expedia, or directly. Last year they had a special for $149 after I had gotten a rate similar to yours. However since we were going for two weeks plus, and had the kitchen sink with us, the Cavalier, just wasn't big enough to leave our large suitcases for the cruise in the trunk. So we upgraded to a malibou or something for only about $25 more. Have a reservation just in case and keep trying. Trip before that we got a Jeep Cherokee for $170 for a week.

Alamo in the past several years has had great specials out of Anchorage. The problem with the local off airport offices, they usually don't shuttle to the airport and most all close pretty early, some 6pm. I always take an overnight flight home and tour into the evening. :) And indeed, expect taxes at 25%.

Archived