New carnival policy - 1a cabins now charged @ 200%

Froufie

Hey solos - here a link to my thread on the Carnival board:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=24702654#post24702654

I just muddled through 36 pages of replies at that thread ... and I'm still confused! Someone, please give me a simple answer!

With the disappearance of Carnival's good solo deals and the apperant recovery of the cruise economy, are we solo cruisers screwed?

Well I wouldn't quite put it that way? But looks like the Carnival 'allowance' for solo cruisers has disappeared - altho of course they may be other 'deals' out there (past guest, last minute, etc).

As you may have read many solos who were quite loyal Carnival crusiers will now be looking elsewhere and trying other lines seeing as the cost has all of a sudden become more comparable? Too bad for carnival since the 'solo' market is a growing demographic and by showing their tru colors Carnival has basically sent them elsewhere to find the cruise bargains!

As you may have read many solos who were quite loyal Carnival crusiers will now be looking elsewhere and trying other lines seeing as the cost has all of a sudden become more comparable? Too bad for carnival since the 'solo' market is a growing demographic and by showing their tru colors Carnival has basically sent them elsewhere to find the cruise bargains!

Well, yeah, I *have* read. But what I have not read is where single, solo cruisers are now looking.

A few, simple and short replies would be far more helpful than pages and pages of "chat." <sigh> Call me a dreamer.

What I have not read is where single, solo cruisers are now looking. <sigh> Call me a dreamer.
Dream no more. Royal Caribbean has some decent fares for solo travelers. You can book a solo cabin for 7 nights on the Freedom of the Seas for $755.85, a single supplement of 134%. ($905.85 if you want a window)

Shorter cruises are a better deal for solos. You can book a 5 nighter on the Grandeur of the Seas for $460.27, a single supplement of 140%. ($582.27 if you want a window)

Dream no more. Royal Caribbean has some decent fares for solo travelers. You can book a solo cabin for 7 nights on the Freedom of the Seas for $755.85, a single supplement of 134%. ($905.85 if you want a window)

Shorter cruises are a better deal for solos. You can book a 5 nighter on the Grandeur of the Seas for $460.27, a single supplement of 140%. ($582.27 if you want a window)

So you mean while Carnival has abandoned trying to lurk in Solos, Royal Caribbean has quietly made allowances.

That is quite crafty of RCCL.:rolleyes:

cruiser1465>>> I will quote someone else you were arguing with on another thread. "Be grateful for what you have and not complain about what you think you deserve." You are now on my ignore list as this seems to be your pattern.

It may surprise you but there is a world away from your keyboard. I don't know you. Why would I care if you "ignore" me? Silly rabbit. :D:):D

However, I understand that RCCL has got some nifty bargains.

With the disappearance of Carnival's good solo deals and the apparent recovery of the cruise economy, are we solo cruisers screwed?

No, we're just looking elsewhere. Since Carnival changed their Cat1a policy, I have booked two cruises on other cruise lines...for the first time in several years...and will probably continue.

There is no doubt that the solo fares for 1a cabins that Carnival previously offered were good deals for solo travelers. But their decision to charge double fares for those same cabins is not quite the end of the world. For me, it just means the sun now rises on NCL, Princess, HAL, RCCL....etc. Well, you get the idea.

I will still cruise Carnival - occasionally - but they're no longer the only game in town for solo cruisers. :rolleyes:

No, we're just looking elsewhere. Since Carnival changed their Cat1a policy, I have booked two cruises on other cruise lines...for the first time in several years...and will probably continue.

There is no doubt that the solo fares for 1a cabins that Carnival previously offered were good deals for solo travelers. But their decision to charge double fares for those same cabins is not quite the end of the world. For me, it just means the sun now rises on NCL, Princess, HAL, RCCL....etc. Well, you get the idea.

I will still cruise Carnival - occasionally - but they're no longer the only game in town for solo cruisers. :rolleyes:

Thank you. Very well put.

Hello all you solo travelers! I have sailed solo on 4 Carnival cruises at 150% rate, and like you, I found it disturbing that they are 200% now. I tried to book a carnival BTB and they would not come down on the price for a 1A. The PVP said they upped the rates, even with discounts as past passenger, seniors, etc, no change in price.

I took an RCC solo cruise last fall and I had the benefit of 150% rate. I will look into HAL as many of you suggested for my next cruise, if they still offer a discount. I am sailing on NCL Pearl this fall with a relative, but the PVP said the Epic has solo rooms called studios. I went on the Epic boards and the studios are filled up with couples and their children each having their own bathroom and shower. When I mentioned this to my PVP, she said the other PVP's are suggesting that to people! I had planned on booking the EPIC repo cruise on May 7 transatlantic, but I saw that all the studios were sold out!

PS. I will be a part of the Carnival solo group who would like to protest! Can we send a petition? :cool:

Hello all you solo travelers! I have sailed solo on 4 Carnival cruises at 150% rate, and like you, I found it disturbing that they are 200% now. I tried to book a carnival BTB and they would not come down on the price for a 1A. The PVP said they upped the rates, even with discounts as past passenger, seniors, etc, no change in price.

I took an RCC solo cruise last fall and I had the benefit of 150% rate. I will look into HAL as many of you suggested for my next cruise, if they still offer a discount. I am sailing on NCL Pearl this fall with a relative, but the PVP said the Epic has solo rooms called studios. I went on the Epic boards and the studios are filled up with couples and their children each having their own bathroom and shower. When I mentioned this to my PVP, she said the other PVP's are suggesting that to people! I had planned on booking the EPIC repo cruise on May 7 transatlantic, but I saw that all the studios were sold out!

PS. I will be a part of the Carnival solo group who would like to protest! Can we send a petition? :cool:

I have 12 Carnival cruises under my belt and I was able to snag a 16-day back to back for Dec 2011 just before they changed their policy. I would have been happy to continue booking solo Cat1a fares because I felt for what you got in return, they were pretty reasonable. But now they are priced the same as 4a's...so why book a room in the bilges anymore? Might as well go up a few decks now...:D

Since Carnival changed their solo Cat1a policy, I have since booked two cruises on other cruise lines. One on Princess, another on the NCL Epic. I found a good price for the Apr30 Epic cruise in a studio cabin. I think if you look around for other dates you will find plenty of studios available, but obviously some dates are selling out quickly. It's pretty obvious that NCL has tapped into a hugely popular niche market here...even though, as you mention, some folks are booking them separately for their kids. Enterprising, to say the least! :p

• 2 weeks later...
I have 12 Carnival cruises under my belt and I was able to snag a 16-day back to back for Dec 2011 just before they changed their policy. I would have been happy to continue booking solo Cat1a fares because I felt for what you got in return, they were pretty reasonable. But now they are priced the same as 4a's...so why book a room in the bilges anymore? Might as well go up a few decks now...:D

Since Carnival changed their solo Cat1a policy, I have since booked two cruises on other cruise lines. One on Princess, another on the NCL Epic. I found a good price for the Apr30 Epic cruise in a studio cabin. I think if you look around for other dates you will find plenty of studios available, but obviously some dates are selling out quickly. It's pretty obvious that NCL has tapped into a hugely popular niche market here...even though, as you mention, some folks are booking them separately for their kids. Enterprising, to say the least! :p

Bill,

Good point. I will try to look at other Epic cruises. I really wanted the repo cruise. Maybe the April Cruise on Epic has rooms available! I also will look at Princess. I am ready for a longer cruise than 7 days! Or, as you say, move up......

I have also booked two cruises on other lines. One on Celebrity and one on Royal and both solo balconies. If you can wait for the Tuesday sales on Celebrity they often have solo supplements of 150%.

This past week Celebrity had solo cabins in OV cat. for $759 sngl vs $599 dbl, so the supplenet can be considerably less if the total fare is considered. Not sure how they(Celebrity) come up with the 150% figure in their materials.

Archived