private tours from VilleFranche

ro2ann

Has anybody used a tour co. called

Private Shore Trips

or

Riveria Premium Tour

I am trying to decide which tour company to use from VilleFranche

Thanks all help would be appreciated

We used Private Shore Trips in April and they were very, very good. We had a group of 8 that we had put together on the roll call board.

They will tailor the itinerary to what you want, but we went to Monaco, St. Paul de Vence, Cannes and Eze. Villefranche is nice to walk around in too; very picturesque.

My husband and I had trouble tendering in as tendering was slowed down by a medical evacuation and we missed our tour time. They waited a half hour, then left. When we finally got ashore the tourist people at the port called the company and they left the rest of the group in Monaco and came back to get us. I call that great service.

We spent just enough time in each place for a first time visit except for Eze, which we hit late in the day. We didn't have time there to climb up to the castle, but we got to see most of the town. I could have skipped, or just driven through, Cannes.

When we got home I had an email from the company saying that they had charged our cc for the price of the tour--which happened because we were, at first, a no-show--but that they had immediately refunded it when they realized we had paid in cash at the end of the tour.

We had a nice roomy bus and a great driver.

• 2 months later...

I too am looking for a private tour company in Villefranche. I am too chicken to try doing things on my own.;) I've been doing research and the tours I have found are pricey. I'm thinking that I really want to visit Eze...and then will stop in to Nice, Monaco and Monte Carlo. I thought that I would try to get back to Villefranche early (to make sure I don't miss the ship), and then walk around Villefranche for a bit. Is this realistic? I am open to suggestions...have not been to this region in France. Do the people in this area speak English or should I be brushing up on my French? I know some areas speak more English than others..just not sure if this is one of them. Thanks!

I don't know how long you have in port, but I think this is very doable. We did this plus St. Paul de Vence, but we were in port from 9-8. And this was with getting a late start due to our tender difficulties.

Now, this meant just fairly quick stops and overviews in Monaco and Nice--enough for us--a couple of hours in St. Paul de Vence and an hour or so at Eze. We also had nearly an hour afterwards in Villefranche to wander around a bit.

For first-time visitors like us it was perfect. I'd like to have had time to climb to the ruins at Eze, otherwise we saw a lot and got a good overview of the area.

We were going to try to see most of the area, except St. Paul de Vence, on our own by riding the trains/buses, but I just got overwhelmed trying to get it all planned out. So I put together this group of 8 on our roll call boards at the last minute and it worked out fine.

We talked to others who did do Eze, Nice and Monaco on their own, jusing the buses and they had a good time too, and it was very cheap, but, for our first time there I'm glad we went with the tour.

Language wasn't an issue with us, mostly because we were with a driver who spoke good English and really we weren't interacting all that much with the locals. However, most of the people we did speak to did speak some English--most of them were used to tourists and/or worked with tourists.

Since mostly did sightseeing, browsing some shops (English spoken there) and finding some snacks, we had no problems at all. People were very friendly.

Thanks for the info! My hope is to climb to the top of Eze, as this is where I'd like to spend a chunk of time. Everywhere else...Monaco, Monte Carlo, Nice...I'd like to see the tourist sites but I don't have to go as in depth as I would like to be in Eze. Villefranche I will explore a few hrs before getting back on the ship. I'm just wondering how long it will take to get to the top of Eze...

Do you mean starting from the village to the castle? It didn't look like it would be too bad--maybe 20-30 minutes? But, we haven't done it, so maybe someone who has can help you.

If you mean climbing all the way to Eze from the seaside road, I think that would take an hour or two and looks pretty hard.

Anyone done a private tour (just for two people)? I have contacted a few tour companies (ones that have been mentioned on here) and they want from 500 - 600 Euros total for a six hour tour (not including tip:eek:) - oh - and that covers the cost of the driver's lunch but not OURS - lol, We find this price to be astronomical as that is approx. $675-$810CDN.

Another recommended one is fully booked already for next year. I noticed one or two had some tours on their websites for a much cheaper price (anywhere from 50 - 95 Euros each) but they all start at 9am and we won't be able to be off the tender until probably 11am. Have gone the route of teaming up before on the rollcall but did not have a real good experience, so a little bit shy of that. Even the ship's tours are way cheaper than those companies quoted me, but the ship only gives you 30 minutes in Eze, which is WAY too short. Don't really want to rent a car either (want to have a drink and enjoy ourselves) - guess bus and train would be the cheapest option but following a strict timetable on vacation like that is not always the best option. Anyone had a tour for two that doesn't cost an arm and a leg? What about getting a taxi for 4 or 5 hours at the tender pier - surely they would be cheaper than these tour companies?Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Canuck

LittleMissS - Thanks - but I did contact every single one of those people on that thread. One of them is all booked up, two companies had the extremely high prices I quoted and I am waiting to hear back from only two more. Maybe you are booked with the one that is booked already and that is why I can't get them - haha.

Thanks - I will keep searching for more companies and see what their prices are like.

Canuck

LittleMissS - Thanks - but I did contact every single one of those people on that thread. One of them is all booked up, two companies had the extremely high prices I quoted and I am waiting to hear back from only two more. Maybe you are booked with the one that is booked already and that is why I can't get them - haha.

Thanks - I will keep searching for more companies and see what their prices are like.

Canuck

I'm using Eva/Suzanne at this website/email. contact@riviera-prestige-tours.com

I thought they were one of the ones recommended on CC when I booked her, however on follow up she was not. I did, however, have a chance to email Sylvie (highly recommended here) and asked her opinion of this person and she said she was good. I am using her late October and will come back and give a review of her services but we are also only 2 - well now we're 3 but since we're good with the same vehicle she is charging the same. Her prices were quite a bit less. She has been very responsive and I am confident taking a chance with her will work out well.

notentirelynormal - how interesting.....Suzanna was one of the replies I received - not reasonable for us - we have to pay for driver's lunch (that one cracked me up) for two of us - she will give us this year's rate of 445 Euros (approx. $600 CDN) - too rich for our blood. (That is how much we paid for our corner aft balcony on the Mariner this past fall....lol!)

LittleMissS - we are doing a back to back on the Brilliance next September. We have 15 ports in 24 days. I just starting looking at the price of tours in Italy and if I thought France was bad...:eek::eek::eek: Most of the tours do not include transfer from the ship, entrance fees, lunch or a guide!!! That is all extra. I think we may have to rob a bank to afford these tours!!! Actually, we don't usually like doing ship's tours but, in this case, most of them are definitely cheaper than these outside companies.

Thanks,

Canuck

Hi Tess , I'm wondering if anyone in your group is going to Capri on their own . The ladies in my group are all going to Pompeii so I've booked the ship's tour to Capri for myself . I hate to spend $149 but I really don't want to go by myself either . :confused:Dawn

Has anyone used a Tour Company called Med-Tour? I will really appreciate your comments. They are not too expensive, but... I don't want to go with what is not too expensive and find out that they don't have good reviews.

Thank you.

Patricia.

Has anyone used a Tour Company called Med-Tour? I will really appreciate your comments. They are not too expensive, but... I don't want to go with what is not too expensive and find out that they don't have good reviews.

Thank you.

Patricia.

In another thread, someone did use them and Med-Tour contracted out the tour to another company who sent a guide who spoke no English!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1247635

Archived