2-Day Roadtrip from Amsterdam to Bruges to Brussels

We're planning to drive from Amsterdam to Bruges to Brussels in July, leaving first thing on a Friday morning and ending up somewhere near Brussels Airport on Saturday night, and would love suggestions regarding hotels and where we should stop along the way.

On the way to Bruges we'd like to stop in Leiden and Delft, but does anyone have any recommendations regarding the most scenic way to get from Delft to Bruges? I've read that Willemstad, Zierikzee, Veerse Meer and Middelburg are worth visiting. Would this routing be feasible if we don't linger too long in each town?

We'd like to spend Friday night in Bruges or somewhere just outside the city and would really appreciate any reasonably priced (<$200/night for two people) hotel or B&B recommendations. We don't need fancy as long as it's clean and safe, with an en-suite bathroom and convenient parking.

After spending most of Saturday in Bruges, the plan is to head to Ghent for a quick peek, stay at a hotel near the Brussels Airport that night and fly out on Sunday morning. (We've been to Brussels before.) Any airport hotel recs would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~dcinmb

We'd like to spend Friday night in Bruges or somewhere just outside the city and would really appreciate any reasonably priced (<$200/night for two people) hotel or B&B recommendations. We don't need fancy as long as it's clean and safe, with an en-suite bathroom and convenient parking.

We had to spend two nights in Bruges due to vulcano ash disruption.

Here you find my blog:

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2010/04/tag-0-auf-der-artemis-anreise-day-0-on.html

http://heinbloed-minis.blogspot.com/2010/04/tag-11-auf-der-artemis-in-southampton.html

Here you find impressions of the hotel we stayed.

It was in the heart of Bruges and we paid not very much for this central location.

Everything was a little older but the staff was friendly and you got a nice breakfast for this price.

We booked on http://www.booking.com.

We're planning to drive from Amsterdam to Bruges to Brussels in July, leaving first thing on a Friday morning and ending up somewhere near Brussels Airport on Saturday night, and would love suggestions regarding hotels and where we should stop along the way.

We bid for July in Amsterdam 4* for 100 USD on priceline and got NH Hotel Amsterdam Centre just in the Museums Quarter.

From other cruise mates who bid for the same time range same as us as pre-cruise got for the same bid the Mövenpick Hotel at the cruise terminal... (unfortunately our cruise starts in Rotterdam...)

Regards

HeinBloed

We're planning to drive from Amsterdam to Bruges to Brussels in July, leaving first thing on a Friday morning and ending up somewhere near Brussels Airport on Saturday night, and would love suggestions regarding hotels and where we should stop along the way. On the way to Bruges we'd like to stop in Leiden and Delft, but does anyone have any recommendations regarding the most scenic way to get from Delft to Bruges? I've read that Willemstad, Zierikzee, Veerse Meer and Middelburg are worth visiting. Would this routing be feasible if we don't linger too long in each town? We'd like to spend Friday night in Bruges or somewhere just outside the city and would really appreciate any reasonably priced (<$200/night for two people) hotel or B&B recommendations. We don't need fancy as long as it's clean and safe, with an en-suite bathroom and convenient parking. After spending most of Saturday in Bruges, the plan is to head to Ghent for a quick peek, stay at a hotel near the Brussels Airport that night and fly out on Sunday morning. (We've been to Brussels before.) Any airport hotel recs would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks! ~dcinmb

Bruges and Ghent are both very historic and interesting. Ghent was a bit of a surprise with its offerings. It is a larger city than Bruges, but is worth the stop. Bruges is the "super-star". Love it!!!

We stayed at the Hotel Ter Brughe. Their website is:

http://www.hotelterbrughe.com

Below you can see a picture of the hotel exterior sitting right on a waterway. The hotel, built in 1553, is near the 14th century Augustine Bridge. It was a nice, handy location. Lots of charm and character in the hotel as exists all over this wonderful town. Here are also a few other visual highlights that I took in Bruges. Be sure to take a canal boat tour in Bruges. We had a spectacular dinner at the Michelin three-star dining palace of DeKarmeliet in Bruges. Great food and service at prices that were decent for that level of quality.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Hotel on waterway where we stayed in Bruges:

HotelBridge.jpg

The historic and scenic main town square in Bruges:

BrugeSquare.jpg

Waterways and buildings in Bruges:

BrugesWaterway.jpg

The unique rooflines in the main square of Bruges:

RoofsOnSquare.jpg

A night shot of a scenic Bruges bridge:

NightBridge.jpg

A horse-drawn carriage in front of a chocolate shop in Bruges:

BrugesHorsChoc.jpg

On the way to Bruges we'd like to stop in Leiden and Delft, but does anyone have any recommendations regarding the most scenic way to get from Delft to Bruges? I've read that Willemstad, Zierikzee, Veerse Meer and Middelburg are worth visiting. Would this routing be feasible if we don't linger too long in each town?

After spending most of Saturday in Bruges, the plan is to head to Ghent for a quick peek, stay at a hotel near the Brussels Airport that night and fly out on Sunday morning. (We've been to Brussels before.) Any airport hotel recs would also be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

~dcinmb

Donot forget to check a most likely drop-off fee for a rental car, since you leave it in another country.

Driving in The Netherlands is o.k. when you realise roads can be very busy, expect traffic delays around Amsterdam, The Hague and Rotterdam.

Parking is expensive and in the cities it is often difficult to find a parkingplace.

Indeed driving to Brugge through "Zeeland" which is Zierikzee etc. is the most interesting route but not the quickest.

To do this in two days with a rental car and really enjoy the sites is very ambituous. As Ine indicated, the highway between Amsterdam and Delft can be very busy. If your overnight has to be in Brugge and you want to spend some time in Leiden as well as Delft means driving through those cities and not seeing or experiencing much of what they have to offer.

Sure, by-pass Rotterdam and go through Dordrecht, heading for 'Zeeland', by way of Goes and Middelburg and take a ferry across at Vlissingen. From there it is not far to Brugge. However, in my opinion, you will have passed some great places to spend an hour or so.

To be sure, you should go to Bruges. Forget Leiden, but stop in Delft and take stroll in the 'downtown' for an hour or so. Have a very brief stop in Dordrecht and Middelburg and go from there. That is just my suggestion.

Distances are not large, but the traffic and lots of little detours might kill a day's drive. However, with all those negatives out of the way, I know you will love seeing parts of Holland that most visitors don't.

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice!

HeinBloed: Thank you for your very interesting bilingual blog; it's a great way to learn a little German! I've never used booking.com or PriceLine but will look into them since you've had such success with them.

TLCOhio: As always, your pictures are gorgeous (I'd already seen some of your Istanbul pics on the Crystal boards). Glad that you really enjoyed De Karmeliet as I had read some mixed reviews on-line. My experiences at other "three stars" like The French Laundry, Joel Robuchon and The Fat Pig have all been amazing so my expectations are high, plus the friend I'm traveling with is not a foodie so I'd hate for her to be disappointed. Now I just have to get a reservation, which is probably unlikely given that we'll be in Bruges on a Saturday.

Ine: Car rental pricing seems to be more reasonable in the Netherlands than in the U.S. Hertz quoted me only $166 for two days, including the one-way drop charge, for a Ford Ka, which I believe is a mini, but I'm upgrading to a mid-sized Lancia Delta for only $228. I can get the Lancia for eight days for only $325, but I don't want to have to deal with the expense and hassle of parking a car in Amsterdam. As for traffic, we're planning to leave Amsterdam by 8:30 on Friday morning, so I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad as I was assuming we'd be going against traffic? What times of day is traffic the busiest around The Hague and Rotterdam?

Lair Bear: Thanks for the suggested itinerary. Google Maps has me going from Dordrecht to Goes via Bergen Op Zoom. Does this routing make sense? P.S. Did you by any chance go to Cal?

Our primary objective is to go to Bruges (my second time, my friend's first), so getting to visit a few other sights along the way is just icing!

Thanks again for all the help!

~dcinmb

Thanks, everyone, for the great advice!

TLCOhio: As always, your pictures are gorgeous (I'd already seen some of your Istanbul pics on the Crystal boards). Glad that you really enjoyed De Karmeliet as I had read some mixed reviews on-line. My experiences at other "three stars" like The French Laundry, Joel Robuchon and The Fat Pig have all been amazing so my expectations are high, plus the friend I'm traveling with is not a foodie so I'd hate for her to be disappointed. Now I just have to get a reservation, which is probably unlikely given that we'll be in Bruges on a Saturday. dcinmb

THANKS for the nice comments on the pictures! Go for that dinner reservation. Hopefully things can work out. They were very nice and accommodating to us even if we we were not dressed and being very high-end. We had made an advanced reservation by e-mail. We were there during the middle of the week. Below gives you an idea of what they served just for dessert at that great dining place. Plus, a couple of other Bruges pictures. Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

The desserts at the Michelin three-star super dining palace of DeKarmeliet in Bruges:

DeKarmelietDes.jpg

The Belgium flag and historic building on the main square:

BelgiumFlag2.jpg

Design details on the statues in the main square of Bruges:

StatueDetails.jpg

Maybe this routeplanner can be useful to you.

http://www.routenet.nl/Default.aspx

By putting the the zipkode and/or the addresses (of the hotel etc.) it will give you not only the easiest way to travel but also how long it will take.

There also is a section that give the delays (due to traffic or constructions) on various highways.

http://www.routenet.nl/Default.aspx

The highway Amsterdam-Delft-Rotterdam (A4) is one of the busiest with often delays. Driving at around 8.30 from Amsterdam might be o.k., but of course there will be a lot of traffic into The Hague, Delft etc.

From Delft to e.g. Middelburg this route is very interesting. Of course you can make a sidetrip to Veere.

http://www.routenet.nl/route.aspx?task=route&stations=484663_6794641_Markt__2611_Delft__NL_5|401578_6702378_Markt__4331_Middelburg__NL_5&options=optimal|STANDARD|carfast|||2010-06-09%2011%3A15|

Lair Bear: Thanks for the suggested itinerary. Google Maps has me going from Dordrecht to Goes via Bergen Op Zoom. Does this routing make sense? P.S. Did you by any chance go to Cal?

Our primary objective is to go to Bruges (my second time, my friend's first), so getting to visit a few other sights along the way is just icing!

~dcinmb

Yes, on both accounts.

Rotterdam, Dordrecht, Bergen op Zoom, Goes, Middelburg, Vlissingen, etc. From Rotterdam that would be the best way I can think of. We used to do that by train.

My suggestion still is to spend some time in Delft and just a short visit to Dordrecht. Then you can decide if you have enough time to also stop at the centrum of Middelburg.

Just before you reach Goes, you dip down and go underneath an over pass. But this overpass is for a narrow canal and boats. So, instead of over, you go under the canal.

When you pass Goes, wave you hand as a salute to my cousin, OK?

Class of 1960, ME. Annual treck to the Lair of the Bear.

Indeed going along the coast is shorter, Ine, but not if you want include Dordrecht as a stop. The one thing about the coastal route is that you get to see the Delta Works, a fantastic engineering feat to keep the North Sea at bay. Here a stop is a must.

0112-11.jpg

Indeed going along the coast is shorter, Ine, but not if you want include Dordrecht as a stop. The one thing about the coastal route is that you get to see the Delta Works, a fantastic engineering feat to keep the North Sea at bay. Here a stop is a must.

0112-11.jpg

Every trip means to cannot visit all places you want, so you will have to skip something. In this cas I think it is better to skip Dordrecht, after you have visited places like Leiden and Delft already.

The route over the "zeeland islands"is the most interesting I think. Indeed try to make a stop at "Neeltje Jans"museum to get an impression how the dutch fight against the ocean to keep the water out.

http://www.neeltjejans.nl/index.php/en/home

Every trip means to cannot visit all places you want, so you will have to skip something. In this cas I think it is better to skip Dordrecht, after you have visited places like Leiden and Delft already.

The route over the "zeeland islands"is the most interesting I think. Indeed try to make a stop at "Neeltje Jans"museum to get an impression how the dutch fight against the ocean to keep the water out.

http://www.neeltjejans.nl/index.php/en/home

I agree, Ine.

Here is another 'special' if you go this way. A few years ago we drove along N57 near Burgh en Haamstede (just before you reach the Delta Works). There, to our right, we saw this large windmill in full operation. We turned off the main road and found this brick, white washed mill turning away. The door was open, I yelled, but no one was there. So we just went ahead climbed the stairs and took in all the action. It was a grain mill and the wooden shafts, gears and pulleys were crunching away. When we left the mill, we went inside the little restaurant next door and had some wonderful pancakes for lunch. The flour came straight from the mill, but we never saw the 'molennaar' (miller).

The windmill is called 'Pannenkoekenmolen de Graanhalm'. You can find it on Google map.

After my last post, I realized it has been a while since we drove that way. So, I looked up the windmill and found out that it has 'changed'. It is more of a tourist attraction and now you have to pay to go inside. It still has the same look from the road, and still makes flour for the pancake restaurant, but they ruined the interior by adding a 'sawmill'. You can see the steel plates, channels, etc that are out of place. Even if they had made all of this out of wood, it would not be the same.

Who said 'the old times were no good?'

molen%20Haamstede.jpgmolen%20Haamstede%202.jpg

Anyway, a stop here is interesting and if you want to know a bit more how windmills work, drop me a note. I built two models and can give you some insight as to how they work.

Sorry for being incommunicado for so long, but work and life got a bit crazy. How does the following route look?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Overtoom,+Amsterdam,+The+Netherlands&daddr=Leiden,+The+Netherlands+to:Delft,+The+Netherlands+to:Willemstad,+Moerdijk,+The+Netherlands+to:Zierikzee,+Schouwen-Duiveland,+The+Netherlands+to:Burgh+Haamstede,+Schouwen-Duiveland,+Nederland+to:Veerse+Meer,+Noord-Beveland,+The+Netherlands+to:Middelburg,+The+Netherlands+to:Bruges,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Ghent,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Brussels+Airport,+Zaventem,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium&hl=en&geocode=FTv2HgMdVUVKACkteWN24gnGRzF6ChlBQioTxQ%3BFT_qGwMdqYNEACntXaD-jcbFRzEHlCTQipEGAA%3BFXujGQMdQYhCACn9WF9Rw7XFRzE91EvFo1ywiQ%3BFT_DFAMd0rlDACkL8sH7_TvERzGOPvDVN-UHGA%3BFesoFAMda-A7ACk9Sy3LiV_ERzHtbrQnGfMi9w%3B%3BFcRVEgMd2Vw4ACkJnC21z43ERzHwCfPOWt4AKg%3BFYbZEQMdsyg3ACkVc4N915DERzGFQ1Jn_8wIFA%3BFdpkDQMdljYxACkNQh7B0FDDRzH3TYPIWvOiGg%3BFfoDCwMdo8Y4ACmtQ5Qz4XDDRzFAUU0vq5kABA%3BFQd8CAMdbjVEACmv6G3OUtzDRzEQBk4vq5kABQ&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=51.69299,4.685669&sspn=2.591298,4.817505&ie=UTF8&ll=51.618017,4.031982&spn=2.595587,4.817505&z=8

As I mentioned before, our goal is to make it to Bruges (or somewhere just outside of Bruges) on Friday night so that we can spend the bulk of Saturday there. We'd love to be able to stop off at the Neeltje Jans waterpark but it really doesn't seem like we'll have enough time. Will we at least get to see parts of the Delta Works as we're driving down the coast? I'm sure you'll agree that the route I've mapped out is already too ambitious. Which towns/cities would you skip? Leiden? Willemstad?

Thanks for sharing your windmill pics, Lair Bear. I am very curious to learn how they work and I'm hoping I'll have time to visit one when I'm in Amsterdam as I'll be there for six days. Your story reminds me of the time I stumbled across an unmanned working grist mill in Sudbury, Massachusetts, right near the Redstone Schoolhouse which is where Mary of 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' fame took her lamb, inspiring her classmate to write the poem.

Thanks again for all your help!

Diana

Cal '85

Sorry for being incommunicado for so long, but work and life got a bit crazy. How does the following route look?

Diana

Cal '85

The route you show is what Ine and I think as the best way. Keep in mind that a lot of this is on country roads and it can be quite easy to make a wrong turn somewhere along the way. Do you have a GPS unit? It sure looks like you have done your homework. Great map!

The various spots you show to turn off and see are extensive and, as you said, it will depend on how much time you have. For example, a visit to Willemstad would be nice, but you will have to park the car and walk this old fortress village to see anything. Likewise with Veerse Meer. I suppose you have good reasons to include that small town. It used to be a fishing village, but is now more of yacht harbor.

Personnally, I would spend a little more time in Delft.

Once you go through the long tunnel underneath the Schelde, I would try to take the shortest route to Brugge and stay on the main highway. The one you show is probably ok.

Thanks for sharing your windmill pics, Lair Bear. I am very curious to learn how they work and I'm hoping I'll have time to visit one when I'm in Amsterdam as I'll be there for six days. Diana

Cal '85

If you are in Amsterdam for six days, you should definitely visit the Zaanse Schans. It is a restored old village with several windmills that are operational. At least one of them you can climb inside while it grinding mustard, I believe. It is less than an hour by bus and worth to spend half a day or so. If you want more details, let me know or take a look at our website.

GO BEARS!

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Overtoom,+Amsterdam,+The+Netherlands&daddr=Leiden,+The+Netherlands+to:Delft,+The+Netherlands+to:Willemstad,+Moerdijk,+The+Netherlands+to:Zierikzee,+Schouwen-Duiveland,+The+Netherlands+to:Burgh+Haamstede,+Schouwen-Duiveland,+Nederland+to:Veerse+Meer,+Noord-Beveland,+The+Netherlands+to:Middelburg,+The+Netherlands+to:Bruges,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Ghent,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Brussels+Airport,+Zaventem,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium&hl=en&geocode=FTv2HgMdVUVKACkteWN24gnGRzF6ChlBQioTxQ%3BFT_qGwMdqYNEACntXaD-jcbFRzEHlCTQipEGAA%3BFXujGQMdQYhCACn9WF9Rw7XFRzE91EvFo1ywiQ%3BFT_DFAMd0rlDACkL8sH7_TvERzGOPvDVN-UHGA%3BFesoFAMda-A7ACk9Sy3LiV_ERzHtbrQnGfMi9w%3B%3BFcRVEgMd2Vw4ACkJnC21z43ERzHwCfPOWt4AKg%3BFYbZEQMdsyg3ACkVc4N915DERzGFQ1Jn_8wIFA%3BFdpkDQMdljYxACkNQh7B0FDDRzH3TYPIWvOiGg%3BFfoDCwMdo8Y4ACmtQ5Qz4XDDRzFAUU0vq5kABA%3BFQd8CAMdbjVEACmv6G3OUtzDRzEQBk4vq5kABQ&gl=us&mra=ls&sll=51.69299,4.685669&sspn=2.591298,4.817505&ie=UTF8&ll=51.618017,4.031982&spn=2.595587,4.817505&z=8

As I mentioned before, our goal is to make it to Bruges (or somewhere just outside of Bruges) on Friday night so that we can spend the bulk of Saturday there. We'd love to be able to stop off at the Neeltje Jans waterpark but it really doesn't seem like we'll have enough time. Will we at least get to see parts of the Delta Works as we're driving down the coast? I'm sure you'll agree that the route I've mapped out is already too ambitious. Which towns/cities would you skip? Leiden? Willemstad?

Thanks for sharing your windmill pics, Lair Bear. I am very curious to learn how they work and I'm hoping I'll have time to visit one when I'm in Amsterdam as I'll be there for six days. Your story reminds me of the time I stumbled across an unmanned working grist mill in Sudbury, Massachusetts, right near the Redstone Schoolhouse which is where Mary of 'Mary Had a Little Lamb' fame took her lamb, inspiring her classmate to write the poem.

Thanks again for all your help!

Diana

Cal '85

I find it a bit difficult to visualise your link. Maybe give it another try on the routeplanner I stated above.

In any case at least drive over the "zeelandbrug", which is part of the Delta=works. You can of course skip neeltje Jans if you donot have time enough.

http://www.deltawerken.com/English/10.html?setlanguage=en

Also if interested in waterworks maybe a visit to this museum in Heemstede) (visit this from Amsterdam) is nice. It tells the story how Haarlemmermeer was made and kept dry. The place were Schiphol airport now is.

http://www.museumdecruquius.nl/en

Instructions how to get there in the website.

Sorry the Google Maps link didn't work for you, Ine. The routing for my original link was as follows:

Amsterdam

Leiden

Delft

Willemstad

Zierikzee

Zeelandbrug

Veerse Meer

Middelburg

Brugge

Ghent

Brussels Airport

Per Lair Bear's post, it looks like we should bypass Veerse Meer and probably Willemstad as well. I've tried to adjust my route map to align more closely with Ine's:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=Overtoom,+Amsterdam,+The+Netherlands&daddr=Leiden,+The+Netherlands+to:Delft,+The+Netherlands+to:A15+to:Zierikzee+to:Oosterscheldekering+to:Middelburg,+The+Netherlands+to:Bruges,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Ghent,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium+to:Brussels+Airport,+Zaventem,+Flemish+Region,+Belgium&geocode=FTv2HgMdVUVKACkteWN24gnGRzF6ChlBQioTxQ%3BFT_qGwMdqYNEACntXaD-jcbFRzEHlCTQipEGAA%3BFXujGQMdQYhCACn9WF9Rw7XFRzE91EvFo1ywiQ%3BFczcFwMd8PZAAA%3BFesoFAMda-A7ACk9Sy3LiV_ERzHtbrQnGfMi9w%3B%3BFYbZEQMdsyg3ACkVc4N915DERzGFQ1Jn_8wIFA%3BFdpkDQMdljYxACkNQh7B0FDDRzH3TYPIWvOiGg%3BFfoDCwMdo8Y4ACmtQ5Qz4XDDRzFAUU0vq5kABA%3BFQd8CAMdbjVEACmv6G3OUtzDRzEQBk4vq5kABQ&gl=us&hl=en&mra=ls&via=3&sll=51.663186,3.904266&sspn=0.606504,1.315613&ie=UTF8&ll=51.637198,3.938599&spn=0.303425,0.657806&z=11

(Ine: I tried using the routeplanner you suggested but the inclusion of Zierikzee is taking me over the Zeelandbrug instead of Oosterscheldekering)

If the link doesn't work, our new routing is:

Amsterdam (leave Friday morning)

Leiden

Delft (to Zierikzee via A13/A4/A15/N57)

Zierikzee

Oosterscheldekering

Middelburg

Brugge (arrive Friday evening)

Ghent

Brussels Airport (depart Sunday)

Does this routing seem more feasible? I'm hoping we'll have time to stop off at Neeltje Jans, but I looked at their website and it looks like an all-day attraction. Is it worth visiting the park if we only have an hour or two? Should we skip Leiden, Zierikzee or Middelburg to gain some time?

While in Amsterdam, we will definitely try to get to Zaanse Schans and the Museum de Cruquius in Heemstede.

Thank you!

Diana

Per Lair Bear's post, it looks like we should bypass Veerse Meer and probably Willemstad as well.

Diana

Hi Diana,

Bypassing Veerse Meer would mean no back tracking, but you could still go through the town of Veere itself (highway N663, I believe). By now you probably have seen enough windmills, but there is another one to the left as you go by the town. It is called 'De Koe' (the cow), perhaps for obvious reasons.

29567345.jpg

Archived