Hotel in Madrid, Spain

ssawjo

Hi, I am looking for a nice hotel in Madrid for my wife and I for next May for two nights. I know this is a little early but I am only soliciting suggestions. I see that the center of Madrid is around the Grand Via. Somewhere in that vicinity is great. Also, anything 3* and above please.

Thanks, Bill

Hi,

IMO the best area to stay in Madrid is near the Museum Triangle( they call it that because there are 3 world class museums at walking distance: El Prado, Reina Sofia, and Thyssen- Bornemiza) and Plaza Santa Ana. Some high end hotels in that area are the Melia ME, the Villa Real and the Westin Palace. A very reliable and good value 3 stars is the Hotel Prado. Also close is the lovely Retiro park which in May would be really nice to spend some time in.

Thanks, but any particular one. There is quiet a few.

Well, there are 4 within 3 blocks of each other. :) the price differential is a far indication of the relative quality. Any of the ones in the central city will be convenient to the sites.

I stayed in The Wellington and Lope De Vega Hotel, in 2006.

The Wellington is amaizing. Close to the Retiro Park, in the Salamanca district, which is a very nice place. I walked to all the main places with not problem, but it is not really that close to Grand Via.

The Lope de Vega was good too, very close to The Prado Museum and the retiro Park too. I was travelling with a one year old that time, and I wanted to be close to the Park. I liked those locations better that central Madrid, but IMHO, everything is close.

If you want to be central, then get something close to Puerta del Sol. There are a lot new Hotels now, at least, they looked very nice when I saw them (2006). The recomendation for the High tech Hotels is very good, I was in one of those Hotels in Sevilla and it was wonderful. Check Tripadvisor for details.

We stayed in Maria Elena Palace Hotel very close to Puerto del Sol. I booked it through their web site on line and it was less than 100 Euro per night. It was a solid 3 or 4 star. We found a restaurant within walking distance just across the Puerto del Sol and to the left that had "Susanna" in the name. It was very reasonably priced and so good that we ate there 3 times in all. We took the train to Toledo one day, but the highlight of our trip was a bus trip up to Escorial and another bus trip to Segovia the next day, both of which we preferred to Toledo. Enjoy!!

Archived