Would you miss the Royal Promenade

We are sailing on the Navigator next week and wondered if those of you that have sailed Voyager , Freedom and Oasis class have since sailed Radience , Vision or Sovereign class and missed not having a Royal Promenade .

We have sailed other ships after sailing Adventure/Mariner/Freedom and did not miss the promenade.

Not for a second! For me, the nicest part about the Radiance class ships are the water views and open-air dining in the Windjammer. This is why I chose to cruise, not for an indoor mall. I can have that at home and save a pile of money. ;)

My first Royal Caribbean ship was the Explorer; I was shocked when I got inside and found something that looked like a mall. I never used the Promenade cafe.

My second was the Jewel and I was entranced by the amount of natural light and views of the sea. Radiance class is now my favorite! In fact, it wouldn't bother me in the least if I never went back to a Voyager class ship or on any of the larger ships.

We are trying to decide between the Seranade and the Freedom and know that Seranade does not have the Royal Promenade. We have sailed Celebrity and Princess and are very excited to try RC. We love the itinerary of the Seranade but we are thinking there would be more entertainment on the Freedom since the Seranade is so port intensive.

So for someone new to RC please help me out and tell me what that Royal Promende is all about?? Maybe like the atruim on Princess?? Thanks!

Pete, I've been on one Princess ship. The Royal Promenade is not at all like the atrium. If you follow the link in my signature, I have Shutterfly albums with all my cruise pictures; you can see the Serenade (and its sister the Jewel) and the Explorer (Voyager class, not Freedom class, but it does have the Promenade).

Serenade and the other Radiance class ships have an atrium that is practically the height of the ship; it runs from one of the lowest decks practically to the top and is all glass on one side. As I recall, the atrium on Caribbean Princess wasn't that high, and was totally interior.

The Promenade is about three or four decks high, but quite long. The bottom level is shops, bars, snack places, and then there are interior cabins with windows overlooking the Promenade on the other levels.

I enjoy the Royal Promenade while on the ships that have one. If we choose to cruise on a ship without the Promenade, we don't miss it. It is a nice place to people watch, but the open decks are really a much better place to do the people watching. The best advantage to the Promenade is if there is inclement weather. What I like most about the Promenade is the parades they have. Next is the Cafe Promenade and their famous cookies!

Looks like there is about an even split over the Royal Promenade feature. We've done Vision class, Radiance class, Voyager class and now getting ready to go on the Oasis class. I really love the centrum and the views the large glass areas offer. I can also remember being throughly impressed with the Royal Promenade the first time we sailed on a ship with this feature. For us, the fact that we are on a cruise is what is the draw. We are cruise addicts and love the ambiance of the smaller ships and enjoy all the ammenities the larger ones offer as well. Enjoy your cruise!

We are sailing on the Navigator next week and wondered if those of you that have sailed Voyager , Freedom and Oasis class have since sailed Radience , Vision or Sovereign class and missed not having a Royal Promenade .

Each class of ship has it's own personality. We enjoy the Royal Promanade but I can't say I miss it all that much when we're on ships without it. What we do miss when sailing one of the "smaller" ships is the varity and, the Royal Promanade does off some of that variety. But on Radiance and Vision class ship you have more views out to the ocean than on Voyager and larger class ships. I enjoy a snack with a cup of tea while looking out the windows to the ocean and I can't get that from the Royal Promanade.

Pete, I've been on one Princess ship. The Royal Promenade is not at all like the atrium. If you follow the link in my signature, I have Shutterfly albums with all my cruise pictures; you can see the Serenade (and its sister the Jewel) and the Explorer (Voyager class, not Freedom class, but it does have the Promenade).

Serenade and the other Radiance class ships have an atrium that is practically the height of the ship; it runs from one of the lowest decks practically to the top and is all glass on one side. As I recall, the atrium on Caribbean Princess wasn't that high, and was totally interior.

The Promenade is about three or four decks high, but quite long. The bottom level is shops, bars, snack places, and then there are interior cabins with windows overlooking the Promenade on the other levels.

Thanks for the link to the pictures I am not getting the idea! You explanation was perfect so I kind of think I know what it is about and I am seeing some love it and some don't. Great to have choices!

We sailed on the Jewel after several voyager class ships. Yes, we did miss it very much. We like the larger ships better.

We would miss the promenade. Been on JOS for 24 nights and really missed it!!! We like the bigger ships also.

My wife and I were discussing this during our recent cruise on NCL's Dawn to Bermuda. Don't misunderstand, we loved the cruise, were well taken care of, and enjoyed the ship (we've been on five RCL cruises and two NCL cruises) ... but we are looking forward to our next RCL cruise in 2010...and were comparing the "excellent" and the "not so excellent" on both RCL and NCL. What did we decide: we'd like a ship that combined the sheer beauty of the Radiance class of ships (all that glass looking out to the open water, and the outside eating area on the WJ) along with the impressiveness of the Promenade on the Voyager (and larger) class of ships and all the incredible things to do on the larger ships.

Michael

Previously on: Explorer (1999), Brilliance (2002), Mariner (2002), Voyager (2004), Liberty (2007), NCL Dawn (2009 & 2010).

After being on both the Jewel, Brilliance, Monarch, Navigator, Freedom, Mariner etc, I like the promenade with it's different bars seating etc, It is a great open area when the weather gets bad or tooo cold to use the pool, and the inside pool is consumed with chair hogs who stay there from morning to night. The parade is, well, ok but but but, maybe a street dance would be better.

If there was no such thing as a promenade, not only would we miss it, but we would miss our entire cruise, since Mrs. Schmoopie would never book an "inside" cabin without a window. Having the promenade cabins with the windows at least lets you not feel so claustrophobic, as well as giving you a view of what's happening on the ship.

Archived