Anchorage Public Bus System

4_THE_HALIBUT

For all you lucky folks who live in Alaska and have knowledge of Anchorage - what are your thoughts on the public bus system? I have one day in Anchorage and a rental car is pretty steep for just one day. Will be staying at Fairfield on A Street. Want to get to Ship Creek and hopefully stop off at Humpy's to eat. A day pass is only $4, and I don't mind taking the bus (if I can figure out the maps!). Will it work? Thanks

The bus system is spotty. You will have a 3 or 4 block walk to the closest bus line which is route 75 on Tudor. It will take you downtown. I didn’t see anything that will take you down to Ship Creek although you can get as close as 3rd street. If you’re going to the train station or the Ulu Factory it’s a fairly short walk of ¼ mile or so. Short if you’re not schlepping a bunch of bags and it’s a nice day.

I've never riden a public transit bus in Anchorage but have picked up a person who rode them as far as he could get on their way home.

The drivers were kind to our family member who is not allowed to drive. The drivers made sure that he actually got on the bus and would wait on extremely cold days to make sure that someone was coming down to get him. If no one came down they would make him ride the whole loop again rather than stand out in horrible weather.

I've never riden a public transit bus in Anchorage but have picked up a person who rode them as far as he could get on their way home.

The drivers were kind to our family member who is not allowed to drive. The drivers made sure that he actually got on the bus and would wait on extremely cold days to make sure that someone was coming down to get him. If no one came down they would make him ride the whole loop again rather than stand out in horrible weather.

Penny, Nice to read the Kudo on the bus driver. Riding the bus in Anchorage during the winter is no fun. The bus stops and sidewalks can be piled with snow for days making it a little dangerous while people navigate walking in the streets to even get to a bus stop.

For all you lucky folks who live in Alaska and have knowledge of Anchorage - what are your thoughts on the public bus system? I have one day in Anchorage and a rental car is pretty steep for just one day. Will be staying at Fairfield on A Street. Want to get to Ship Creek and hopefully stop off at Humpy's to eat. A day pass is only $4, and I don't mind taking the bus (if I can figure out the maps!). Will it work? Thanks

Just one thought, if you're 60 or over, the fare is only 50 cents at the fare box, and you're not likely to need more than 8 rides in a day. I think in theory visitors may be able to get a $1.75 senior day pass, but paying on the bus is cheap and so easy. When I boarded a bus in Anchorage expecting to pay $1.75 as an out of towner, the driver just said "You wouldn't be over 60 would you" and immediately gave me the reduced fare.

I always enjoy when im in Anchorage and take the People Mover bus system. What we do is park downtown fifth avenue parking garage and then take the bus to most of the places we need to go. If its during the day and straightforward that is.

I have found the drivers to be nice and used to answering questions. Yes third avenue is the closest to ship creek and you would still have to walk. When you get to anchorage you can also call people mover itself and get great directions.

Its also a great way to see the area and the faire is fairly inexpensive thats for sure,

Adri :)

Archived