Alternative to hotel in Manhattan

I think we'll do Country Inns for before and after the cruise. I will definitely give a full report and be happy to answer any questions about my experience. This hotel is the #2 rated LIC hotel on tripadvisor so I'm happy with the rate I am getting.

I just got off the phone with another friend who is planning a separate trip to NYC around our same dates. She will be staying in a more expensive hotel in Midtown, and we will want to visit with her during our time in NYC before the cruise. So, now I would like your expert opinions on our two flight options.

Option #1

Southwest arrival at LGA at 5:50PM on 9/24 with one connection.

or

Option #2

JetBlue arrival at JFK at 5:55AM on 9/24 as a direct flight for $20 more per person.

Southwest is nice because it is $20 cheaper (not a big deal, really) and flies into LGA instead of JFK. Both SLC-LGA and LGA-SLC have one connection each. It also doesn't give us much time to see our friend by the time we get into the city that evening, and we're leaving for the cruise the next day. How much more expensive/hassle would we be dealing with if we flew into JFK and were going straight to Midtown? And how much more expensive would it be when we were leaving LIC at the end of our trip and going to JFK instead of LGA?

JetBlue is appealing because it allows us to have more time to see our friend. We can leave our bags in her hotel room and shower there too before we go out for the day then go to our hotel in LIC later in the afternoon or evening. JetBlue also is a direct flight both ways. Each airline has one checked bag for free.

Now it seems I am opening that can of worms, huh? :)

As far as your trip from JFK:

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

It probably won't make much of a difference whether you leave from LAG or JFK as they are both fairly close to LIC. How are you planning on getting to LIC after your visit with your friend?

How are you planning on getting to LIC after your visit with your friend?

I haven't thought about that. Either subway or taxi I guess? Alternatively, we could take the taxi from the airport to our hotel in LIC, drop off our bags, and then could more easily handle the subway and walking as we head to Midtown to visit the friend. We wouldn't be able to check in if we took JetBlue to JFK because we would be arriving to the hotel around 7am.

JetBlue flight even if it costs $20.00 more. Particularly if you want to visit your friend. MUCH nicer airline.

As posted, taxi from JFK to Midtown is flat rate at $45.00 plus tolls. As 138east pointed out, there is also the AirTrain if you can handle your luggage. Here's the info about Airtrain. http://www.panynj.gov/airports/jfk-airtrain.html

As far as your trip from JFK:

Flat Fare from John F. Kennedy (JFK) Airport:

For trips between (to and from) Manhattan and JFK International Airport, the flat fare is $45.00 plus any tolls using Rate Code 2 on the meter. A NY State Tax Surcharge of $.50 will be added to each trip.

It probably won't make much of a difference whether you leave from LAG or JFK as they are both fairly close to LIC. How are you planning on getting to LIC after your visit with your friend?

There will be a substantial difference between JFK and LGA in taxi fares to either their hotel in LIC or midtown Manhattan.

As you note, to Manhattan from JFK the fare is a flat $45 plus tolls and tip.

From LGA to midtown Manhattan on the meter the fare should be no more than about $30...and maybe only around $25 plus tolls and tip.

Their hotel in LIC is only about 5 miles from LGA, but about 14 or 15 miles from JFK. Taxi fare from LGA should be about $11 or $12 plus tip, while taxi fare from JFK is likely about $30 or a touch more, plus tip.

Either way, taxi fares will be much less from LGA than JFK.

There will be a substantial difference between JFK and LGA in taxi fares to either their hotel in LIC or midtown Manhattan.

As you note, to Manhattan from JFK the fare is a flat $45 plus tolls and tip.

From LGA to midtown Manhattan on the meter the fare should be no more than about $30...and maybe only around $25 plus tolls and tip.

Their hotel in LIC is only about 5 miles from LGA, but about 14 or 15 miles from JFK. Taxi fare from LGA should be about $11 or $12 plus tip, while taxi fare from JFK is likely about $30 or a touch more, plus tip.

Either way, taxi fares will be much less from LGA than JFK.

Sorry--- I should have looked at website for the hotel before replying! It says LAG is 3.8 miles away and JFK is 11 miles away.

Hotel Belleclaire....Broadway and 77th, upper west side, 1 block from subway. Sept dates $189 a night Oct dates $149 a night. We stayed there last year and the location was great, service was fine and we woud stay there again. These prices are from their site. Check some of the discount sites and maybe the price will be better. We did expedia and hotels before. I have another one but I have to remember the name.

The other one was the Excelsior but right now it is over $300. If you book earlier next time check them out. Again, great location, close to subway and we paid under $200 a night. Good luck.

We come in from LGA and the cab fare is around $25 o $30. I havent read through the whole thread but I caught something about airports.

Have a GREAT cruise and stay in NY.

An update for those who may have the same questions as me.

I booked two nights after our cruise in the Country Inns for around $95 total a night non refundable. I bought our plane tickets through JetBlue to JFK for $387 total so we could have a nicer airline, free checked bag, direct flights, and more time to visit our friend in Manhattan. We'll probably take the Airtrain and the subway to either our hotel or our friend's hotel. Hopefully 6:30am won't be that crowded of a time! Our friend booked ink48 in Hell's Kitchen which I'm completely jealous about because it looks amazing. She is staying three nights so she got a discount of around $280 a night. We are still deciding what we want to do for a hotel for the one night before the cruise. Ink48 would be around $380 for the one night so unless one of us can convince our parents to give us an early Christmas gift I don't see that happening. :p At least we'll get to see the hotel and room as we visit our friend!

We cruise in 100 days! Thanks again to everyone here for your patience and extreme helpfulness. :D:D:D

Hey Charliechill, we've got a roll call going on for this cruise (DH and I are on it too)....we've been a little quiet but come on over and liven it up! Also, there's a "Live from the Carnival Glory" thread on the Carnival Board by Radio. He's blogging every day (he's on the cruise right now) and posting fantastic photos of the Glory....his is the 5 day itinerary but his Halifax and Saint John pictures will be great. Check it out....Radio is famous for his "Live from...." threads:)

Kathy

Archived