What is the cost of a medical evacuation?

Katie H

We have decided that we have pushed our luck enough and it would be a good idea to have an emergency medical plan. Since we cruise 3 or 4 times a year, it is best for us to buy an annual plan rather than for each cruise. The coverages we can choose - maximum amount per person per trip - are: $25,000, $50,000, $100,000. This would include ambulance and/or evacuation and any medical expenses not covered by our health insurance.

Does anyone have an idea of the average price of a medical evaucation from the ship or from a port to home?

Thanks.

Depending on were you are, evac can be over 100,000. It may be cheaper to insure by each trip since the cost depends on lenght of trip, were you are going, etc. Check insuremytrip.com for comparisons. :)

Just make sure you have enough insurance. Had a medical evac on a Caribbean cruise, cost of helicopter, plus qualified medical people to travel on helicopter, then transfer/stay at hospital of their choosing, then medical transportation to home city (in this case Atlanta). Total bill exceeded $125,000. Thankfully they were covered for the evac process and emergency medical treatment in the hospitals.

Just make sure you have enough insurance. Had a medical evac on a Caribbean cruise, cost of helicopter, plus qualified medical people to travel on helicopter, then transfer/stay at hospital of their choosing, then medical transportation to home city (in this case Atlanta). Total bill exceeded $125,000. Thankfully they were covered for the evac process and emergency medical treatment in the hospitals.

WOW, I hope everything turned out okay for you in this case. Glad the insurance covered everything.

DH and I also feel we have pressed our luck, and since we are cruising during Hurricane season this year, and doing a B2B, it is just too much money to spend to not have it insured this time. Our place covers up to $500,000 per person for medivac and emergency medical services. I hope we never have to use it.

I understand that some medevac plans only cover transport to the nearest suitable or accredited hospital, not to the hospital of your preference near home. Could someone with such a plan comment on this - do you/your companion get to select your destination in case of an emergency?

My mom had to be evac'd after breaking her hip on Millennium. In 2007, the 1/2 hour med jet flight to Ft Lauderdale was $9000. An acquaintance of mine fell and broke her elbow in three places and had to be evac'd from Chile to Houston, and the cost for that was $48,000.

We are looking at Global Travel Shield which was recommended on these boards. Coverage for $100,000 for one cruise is $59.90. Coverage for a year is $139.00. Since we cruise 3 or 4 times per year, the annual policy looks better for us. It covers you if you are more than 150 miles from home, so could come in handy even if we are visiting relatives and have a problem. I will check out med assist also.

Thanks for the replies.

Medical evacuation from Tortola (we were in port) was $20,000. That was ambulance, flight to San Juan, another flight to Miami, ambulance. That does not include the hospital in Tortola, hospital in Miami, new flights home from Miami and other incidental expenses - all covered by insurance from AccessAmerica. We were very pleased with the service from AccessAmerica.

We have decided that we have pushed our luck enough and it would be a good idea to have an emergency medical plan. Since we cruise 3 or 4 times a year, it is best for us to buy an annual plan rather than for each cruise. The coverages we can choose - maximum amount per person per trip - are: $25,000, $50,000, $100,000. This would include ambulance and/or evacuation and any medical expenses not covered by our health insurance.

Does anyone have an idea of the average price of a medical evaucation from the ship or from a port to home?

Thanks.

Not sure about the cost of medical evacuation but I do know that AAA offers medical evacuation services from anywhere in the world with their Plus Membership.

Our health insurance offeres worlwide coverage. Med evacs are covered by licensed ambulance service. Were those who needed it was it by a licensed carrier or not?

The life flight was out of Miami's Children Hospital so I assume it was licensed. Our health insurance did pay for most of our medical expenses in this situation, Travelex paid for everything else, out-of-pocket, medical deductible, new air fare, prorated cost of cruise, etc.

Not sure about the cost of medical evacuation but I do know that AAA offers medical evacuation services from anywhere in the world with their Plus Membership.

Do you have a link to this benefit? I cannot find it on the AAA site.

Thanks

Is the travel insurance offered by Celebrity any good or do you recommend outside insurance? Does their ins cover medical besides trip cancellation? Thanks

Cruise lines makes a profit off of selling insurance, so most of the time you can find better policies for less by cutting out the middle man. Go to insuremytrip.com and compare policies. The only time the cruise line insurance may be a good option is if you are elderly - it is much more expensive purchasing insurance on your own the older you get. Be sure to look at the medical evac. portion of travel insurance closely - there is a wide range of coverage as well as type of coverage (i.e. some will only get you to nearest hospital, whereas better policies will also pay to fly you to a hospital near your home once you are stable to do so). I recommend having at least $100,000 in emergency medical evac. as well as good coverage for medical if your regular health insurance does not cover you out of the country.

Sort of depends where you are cruising and where you want to be evacuated to. Being evacuated to the nearest medical facility would be cheaper than being evacuated home.

We did an Antarctica cruise and took $1,000,000 evacuation which was not that much more expensive than a lower limit policy.

DON

Cruise lines makes a profit off of selling insurance, so most of the time you can find better policies for less by cutting out the middle man. Go to insuremytrip.com and compare policies. The only time the cruise line insurance may be a good option is if you are elderly - it is much more expensive purchasing insurance on your own the older you get. Be sure to look at the medical evac. portion of travel insurance closely - there is a wide range of coverage as well as type of coverage (i.e. some will only get you to nearest hospital, whereas better policies will also pay to fly you to a hospital near your home once you are stable to do so). I recommend having at least $100,000 in emergency medical evac. as well as good coverage for medical if your regular health insurance does not cover you out of the country.

Sort of depends where you are cruising and where you want to be evacuated to. Being evacuated to the nearest medical facility would be cheaper than being evacuated home.

We did an Antarctica cruise and took $1,000,000 evacuation which was not that much more expensive than a lower limit policy.

Thanks

Holy cow! This thread is a real eye opener for me. We always book with an online TA who routinely includes travel insurance. I've taken for granted we would be covered in cases of emergency. Just checked the policy and it's for $25k of evacuation.... not good. :(

Whew.... I am going to look into AAA or AccessAmerica immediately.

Thanks to the OP for this tread... it's very informative.

Archived