where to purchase old coins

ehamp23

There is a coin shop near the port area, on one of the side streets sort of across from the Atlantis submarine place. It's on Goring Avenue, I think. (Or it might be one of the next two streets as you walk east maybe?) If I'm remembering correctly, it's down the side street that has the t-shirt place on the upper story, just past the museum...but it's been awhile and we were only in there once... :D They had a really good selection then, however...

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful, some of the coins are made from a "mold" of a real ship wreck coin and the silver may be from a ship wreck or just low grade silver. The seller may give you a piece of paper that says it is the real thing, but anyone can print a piece of paper.

leedm

Yes, be very careful as many for sale are not shipwreck coins. My husband is a collector and has bought many from a store along the waterfront in Grand Cayman called "Artifacts". The store has been there for over 30 years and the owner is reputable. They have some shipwreck coins as well as "land finds" and each is authenticated. They also have some antique jewelry, maps, etc. It is a small store but very interesting inside. Check out their website at www.artifacts.com.ky They have some of their coins listed, along with prices. We stop at this store every time we are in Grand Cayman and my husband always ends up buying at least one more coin for his collection.

Yes, be very careful as many for sale are not shipwreck coins. My husband is a collector and has bought many from a store along the waterfront in Grand Cayman called "Artifacts". The store has been there for over 30 years and the owner is reputable. They have some shipwreck coins as well as "land finds" and each is authenticated. They also have some antique jewelry, maps, etc. It is a small store but very interesting inside. Check out their website at www.artifacts.com.ky They have some of their coins listed, along with prices. We stop at this store every time we are in Grand Cayman and my husband always ends up buying at least one more coin for his collection.

This information is so helpful - thank you!! I just checked out the website and looks like a definite stop on our trip in August. I've also been very interested in purchasing a coin, but have been concerned about the fakes.

You won't have to worry about fakes at Artifacts. There are a lot of fakes out there that we have seen in some stores in Cayman, Cozumel and many in Key West. There are only a few coins on the Artifacts website but there are many more in the store in all price ranges. The store would not have been there for all these years if it were not reputable. If you are interested in a coin from a specific shipwreck, you can always email them and ask if they have any from that shipwreck. We have done that in the past and they will scan and email you info on your coin of interest if they have any in their stock. They are always getting new things in, so it will definitely be worth your while to stop in when you are there. A very tiny store, but a most interesting one....enjoy!! We will be visiting again in a few months and my husband is already talking about making his traditional stop there (which means at LEAST one purchase!!) He has never been able to go in there and not buy anything!! :eek:

Archived