Pre Cruise Boston Question?

smkozel

We are cruising NCL's 10/9 cruise out of Boston. Flight restrictions have made it so we must fly into Boston on 10/6, which is fine. We want to spend Wednesday eve, Thursday and part of Friday sightseeing Boston. Friday we want to rent a car and head to Hartford to run the ING Marathon Saturday morning. We would be heading back to the port from Hartford at around 11am. (ship doesn't sail until 5pm) I was hoping that we would be able to drive directly to the port and just have the rental car company pick the car up there- rather than take the car back to the airport and then taxi to the port? Any ideas, suggestions?

Let me see if I understand you correctly. You're running a marathon in Hartford on Saturday morning, hopping in the car at 11 am and driving to Boston to catch a cruise that sails at 5. That's a really tight timetable.

You must allow at least 2-2 1/2 hours from Hartford to Boston. The absolute drop dead time for checking in for the cruise is 4 pm. That doesn't leave you much wiggle room for car or traffic problems. Even though it's Saturday, it is Columbus Day weekend and the height of the leaf peeping season, so folks will be out on the roads.

Enterprise in South Boston closes at noon on Saturday. You're going to have to return the car to the airport or one of the downtown locations (if they are open).

That's what I needed to know. Yahoo maps tells me it's only 1hr 46 minutes and I have no ideas of the roads so local opinion on the idea is greatly appreciated. I'm starting to lean toward the idea of just getting into downtown on Wednesday night and enjoying a couple of days of sightseeing before we have to be to the ship on Saturday.

Your prime directive should be to not miss the cruise. You're not just driving to the cruise terminal - you have to get to the airport, find the rental car return, then find a cab (probably requires returning to a terminal on the rental car shuttle), and returning to the ship. It's all doable, but it seems a little too tight for comfort.

I agree. I just needed someone local to give me a heads up. It seemed like a great idea when I signed up for the race :)

I'll chat with the hubby tonight to double check with him but more than likely I think I'll see about getting a refund on my race entry and just do more sightseeing in Boston!

Archived