Opinions on hotel choices in Boston for pre cruise sightseeing?

smkozel

I have a friend that can get a great discount on the family of hotels she works for. I have narrowed our choices down to 3 and was hoping maybe for some "insider opinions" They are the Doubletree Hotel Boston- Downtown, the Courtyard Boston Downtown/Tremont and the Holiday Inn @ Beacon Hill.

I'd look first at the Courtyard. I haven't stayed in any of these hotels, but I am familiar with the areas they are in. Read the reviews on TripAdvisor. The Courtyard is in the middle of the theater district so the area is well traveled at night. The Doubletree is near NE Medical Center.

Even though it's a block over from the Courtyard, it's in an area that you might not feel comfortable in. The Holiday Inn is near Beacon Hill, but... it's not really Beacon Hill. IMO it's more out of the way.

Sometimes these discount deals are not really so good. Give me your exact dates, number of people, and the rate (specify with or without tax) that you are being quoted. Hotwire often has some great deals in more upscale and/or better located hotels.

We are arrive on 10/6/10 and need a hotel for 3 nights. There is just 2 of us. I have my friend checking on her family/friends discount. She can usually get it for half price but not sure on the Boston area. We will mainly be sightseeing, prefer to do most of it by walking, the Old Trolley, etc. I can post her rates to you just as soon as I get them. Thanks for the help.

I'd look first at the Courtyard. I haven't stayed in any of these hotels, but I am familiar with the areas they are in. Read the reviews on TripAdvisor. The Courtyard is in the middle of the theater district so the area is well traveled at night. The Doubletree is near NE Medical Center.

Even though it's a block over from the Courtyard, it's in an area that you might not feel comfortable in. The Holiday Inn is near Beacon Hill, but... it's not really Beacon Hill. IMO it's more out of the way.

Sometimes these discount deals are not really so good. Give me your exact dates, number of people, and the rate (specify with or without tax) that you are being quoted. Hotwire often has some great deals in more upscale and/or better located hotels.

138East- in your opinion, what Hotels in Boston would you use? Which area do you think would be best for general sightseeing, activity and such? Would you stay by the airport and go "in" each day, by the port itself or downtown?

In October in Boston ~ I would take any discount you can find. It's the most expensive month in Boston for hotels.

I agree with 138east. Courtyard is in a slightly better area, even though it is really close to the Doubletree. It's just easier to wander to a less ideal area from the Doubletree than from the Courtyard. You can easily walk to Boston Common and the start of the Freedom trail from the Courtyard.

The HI in Beacon Hill isn't that bad - it's a 10 minute walk from Goverment Center/Faneuil Hall and right at a red line T stop (our subway system), which is an easy line to get around on.

Over the years I've stayed in about 10 different Boston hotels, mostly for business. I don't have a particular favorite. IMO any 3+* hotel in downtown, Back Bay, Quincy Market, or Waterfront at a good price will suit your purposes. For sightseeing no hotel is in a perfect location, but Boston is a small city and easy to get around. I would not stay at an airport hotel because the affordable airport hotels are usually in Saugus, Revere, Chelsea, or South Boston (none of them particularly nice areas) and getting into the city is not convenient.

Archived