Fall foliage -- where do we need to go to see the leaves change

MalibuCA

We are arriving in Montreal on September 25 and cruising on the Crystal Symphony until October 11. My husband just turned to me and asked, "Now that you have completely planned our entire cruise, are we going to see the leaves change?" I told him I think so, but having never done it, I'm not certain. Help! We will be primarily in the cities with the exception of Saint John, where we plan to visit St. Martins and the Fundy Trail Parkway. The ports that we will visit are: Montreal (where we will visit Mont Royal Park), Quebec City, Halifax, Saint John, Bar Harbor, Boston, Newport and NYC.

WILL WE SEE FALL FOLIAGE?

IS IT NECESSARY TO GO OUTSIDE THE CITIES TO SEE THE FALL FOLIAGE (SUCH AS TO THE LAURENTIANS OUTSIDE OF MONTREAL?)

WHERE SHOULD WE GO WHILE IN THESE PORTS TO INSURE THAT WE SEE THE LEAVES CHANGING?

I understand that there are no guarantees and that it all depends on the climate next Fall. However, if the leaves are changing, WILL I SEE IT HAPPENING IN THE CITIES, OR DO I NEED TO GO ELSEWHERE? IF YES, WHERE?????

Pleeeeease help! I need to know before we arrive because I've told my husband for years that I want to see the "changing of the leaves." In California, nothing changes like that! I want to be sure I've planned this right!

Thanks for the help.

Shelley:eek:

MalibuCA asked: ...IS IT NECESSARY TO GO OUTSIDE THE CITIES TO SEE THE FALL FOLIAGE (SUCH AS TO THE LAURENTIANS OUTSIDE OF MONTREAL?)...

In general, all trees are impacted wherever they are located. You will see trees in the towns and cities you visit, but your best views will be away from the city or town in forested areas. On a cruise that's easier said then done.

Here are some suggestions:

For NYC, a visit to Central Park; for Boston, a visit to Boston Commons may provide what you are looking for in those cities. For Bar Harbor, a tour of Acadia National Park is mandatory, either as a cruise excursion or from a private tour provider (http://www.acadiatours.com/ or http://www.acadiaislandtours.com/ ) which may provide you the best views on the whole cruise. For Newport, a visit to Bellevue Ave, location of most mansions with their grounds would have some good views as well as walking a portion of Cliff Walk. Also in Newport, a visit to Bretton Point State Park and Ocean Drive should be included if possible.

I can't help with Canada or any other ports of call; but, if there are any excursions provided by the cruise line that go out to the country side, that may be the best way to see the foliage unless you rent a car.

If you take a look at this interactive fall foliage map http://www.yankeefoliage.com/peakmap/ of average conditions provided by Yankee Magazine, you'll see that once you start the New England portion of the cruise, you'll have a good shot at peak foliage until you reach NYC, anyway that's how I'm reading it.

SBtS

Thanks, SB+S --

I guess I've done a good job with our plans. With the exception of Bretton Point State Park and Ocean Drive in Newport, I've planned on visiting all of the locations that you mentioned. In Newport, we plan to spend our time at the Breakers and Cliffwalk + possibly the Behind the Scenes Tour at the Elms and the Touro Synagogue. How far are Bretton Point State Park and Ocean Drive from The Breakers and Cliffwalk?

Thanks,

Shelley

A visit to Bretton Point State Park and Ocean Drive is usually included in one of the excursions offered by the cruise line. This is because the east end of Ocean Drive almost intersects with the southern end of Bellevue Ave and we know what's there. Ocean Drive starts at Bretton Point State Park and then continues along the coast until it ends close to Bellevue Ave.

The distances: from the tender dock to the start of Ocean Drive and Bretton Point State Park, about 4.1 miles; from the Breakers to the eastern end of Ocean Drive, about 1.6 miles and then an additional 2.7 miles to Bretton Point State Park.

There is no public transportation that serves this area, but I think the bus that stops at the Breakers continues to the southern end of Bellevue Ave, but after that you are SOL. To see Bretton Point State Park and Ocean Drive, you'll need a taxi, an excursion or a transportation rental of some kind.

BTW, aren't you the CC member who was asking earlier this year about visiting BU? I'm assuming you reassessed that plan and scuttled it?

Hope you have a good cruise.

John

aka SBtS

Cruising up the St. Lawrence River will be a more intimate experience than the ocean cruising and Atlantic ports. Having done that trip by car, you will see more trees than you can imagine.

I know you've asked a lot of questions about your port day in Boston. However, you didn't ask about fall foliage. I live out by Concord and the dates you will be in Boston are usually prime fall foliage in the Concord area (Boston doesn't have as many trees and lags behind). IMO the Museum of Fine Arts and Cambridge are fine, but Lexington and Concord are extraordinary at that time of year. Does your cruise offer an excursion to Lexington and Concord?

Acadia National Park in Bar Harbor is spectacular if there's no fog. We were there in mid-October 2 years ago and were lucky to catch the foliage at peak colors.

We took a ship's excursion (Princess) but if you search these boards I'm sure you'll find suggestions about independent operators too.

Archived