Juneau's Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip - how close to the glacier?

Stenya

We've booked this Mendenhall Glacier Float Trip through RCCL, but after seeing one brief review on Trip Advisor that said that they only saw the glacier from behind a hill, I'm re-thinking it. We'd love to go rafting on Mendenhall Lake and see the glacier and icebergs from the water... but I'm concerned that we've been misled by their tour description. Has anyone taken this excursion, and can tell us where the rafts actually GO?

We're not able to do a float plane or helicopter trip up to the glacier itself, but we would be willing to just go up to the Visitor's Center and hike around if this "Float Trip" doesn't even go near the glacier face. Your advice and experience would be much appreciated... and since we're flying to Seattle in 2 days, the sooner the better! :D Thanks!

We did the same basic tour in 2007 (through NCL). You enter the lake on the North side, head straight out and then down the river, you don't go up toward the glacier itself. There is a canoe excurion that does go a bit closer. Pictures from our trip here (you can tell which because we are in the provided raingear).

The visitor center is about 1/2 way between the closest point you get on the boat and the face of the Glacier (look for the large waterfall by the visitor center in the float pictures). The visitor center and trail get you much closer, pictures from there just last month are here (the last half dozen) and you can get a bit closer than we did on some of the other trails.

Thanks, IAT - your photos are wonderful! Looks like an interesting excursion, with nice scenery... I'll call the tour operator to ask about that canoe trip, though, so we might be able to get closer by water.

Or maybe, to get my water fix, we should just hike to the glacier from the visitors center, and do the sea kayaking instead. Agh - I do this every time, second-guessing and driving myself crazy! :D

We took a shuttle bus which we picked up at the pier for $14 return to Mendenhall Glacier and walked to the falls as well. We thought this was the best way to see the glacier and we could stay there as long as we wanted. The bus runs all day.

Ontario Cruiser

Millie May 2010

Ontario Cruiser,

Does the shuttle bus drop you off at the Visitors Center or where? I read somewhere that one bus leaves you a mile or so away and you have to walk to get to the visitor center. My sister has some issues walking so want to be sure we don't have to walk a country mile!

Also, are you fairly close to the glacier and how far are the falls?

Is the $14. for round trip? Do you have a reserved trip or just wait for the bus to come to take you back to town?

What else is there to see in the town of Juneau itself? We like to souvenir shop and not the junky stuff. LOL

Thanks.

Mary

Ontario Cruiser,

Does the shuttle bus drop you off at the Visitors Center or where? I read somewhere that one bus leaves you a mile or so away and you have to walk to get to the visitor center. My sister has some issues walking so want to be sure we don't have to walk a country mile!

Also, are you fairly close to the glacier and how far are the falls?

Is the $14. for round trip? Do you have a reserved trip or just wait for the bus to come to take you back to town?

What else is there to see in the town of Juneau itself? We like to souvenir shop and not the junky stuff. LOL

Thanks.

Mary

The $14 is roundtrip. It is the MGT blue shuttle bus (not the tour bus) and drops you near the visitor center. The bus that drops you out by the parking lot is the city bus. The shuttle runs frequently and you just get on any of the return shuttles. There's a kiosk near the pier, selling tickets.

Juneau also has Mt Roberts tram ($27 for an all day pass). At the top of the hill are trails you can hike. There is also a building that has a small theater that shows (free) the history of the Tlingits in that area. There's also a gift shop which includes some awesome native sculptures and art in addition to some nice souvenirs of a wide variety. In the same building is a restaurant that has outside tables, so if it's a sunny day (as was ours), that is a nice place to have a drink or bite to eat.

Across from that building is a nature center building and in between is an exhibit with an eagle that was wounded and can't be released to the wild. It's awesome to see an eagle so close up.

In Juneua itself you could also take a tour that shows you the Capitol building exterior and Governors Mansion (where Sarah Palin spent very little time since her family preferred their home in Wasilla).

Also, at least look into the Red Dog saloon (a few blocks from the tram) since it is so unique with the eclectic collection of things on the wall and the sawdust on the floor.

Thanks, IAT - your photos are wonderful! Looks like an interesting excursion, with nice scenery... I'll call the tour operator to ask about that canoe trip, though, so we might be able to get closer by water.

Or maybe, to get my water fix, we should just hike to the glacier from the visitors center, and do the sea kayaking instead. Agh - I do this every time, second-guessing and driving myself crazy! :D

If you are up to kayaking, you might check out this company which provides rentals right at the lake http://www.juneaukayak.com/index.html. It is a bit of a distance and wouldn't normally recommend it unless you were fit. I don't have personal experience with them.

Thank you all for your input. Now I'm all set for ideas.

Kayaking, that's a no no for me - I can't swim. LOL A canoe, don't know about this either. Guess I'll have to just look from the shore. Mt. Roberts sounds like a nice trip if the weather is nice. Thanks again.

Mary

If you are up to kayaking, you might check out this company which provides rentals right at the lake http://www.juneaukayak.com/index.html. It is a bit of a distance and wouldn't normally recommend it unless you were fit. I don't have personal experience with them.

Just went on this excursion May 25th. This is the reply I posted to a similar thread:

This was absolutely the highlight of our trip to the Pacific NW!!! Becky Janes and her team are very professional yet it feels like you're taking boats out on the lake with the help of some old friends. They are pretty laid back and also knowledgeable of the area. They let us choose the singles that we wanted to paddle and gave us options on what gear to take or not to take with us. One advice: definitely take the boots! They make getting on and off the kayaks so much easier esp with the 34 degree water.

It is a true Alaskan experience in that we were the only ones in the water. Talk about being isolated! We were able to kayak in and out of the icebergs and made about a half hour stop at the visitor's center. Then we paddled up to Nugget Falls where we met some locals taking their dog for a walk. Afterwards, we ventured pretty close to the glacier to check out a sizeable iceberg with dozens of mating birds sitting on top of it. They advise you to stay away from the glacier (about 200 yards) and from the icebergs (about 100 yards) but it all depends on your ability and comfort level. They make you sign a waiver so as long as you know how to self rescue, I would say feel free to do whatever you are comfortable with. The glacier is an active one though, so keep that in mind.

After the session, they picked us back up (on time) and made some really good recommendations where to eat downtown. Even dropped us off right at the restaurant/pub.

I would say that this company is true to their name: Above and Beyond! :D

Some photos from our excursion:

829337563_2010_05_25(051).jpg.7ce8bcc13de5e5a77f825398a3dcb556.jpg

351975252_2010_05_25(082).jpg.4fcc472c3ee8b0b7f6beb55a50546374.jpg

850322217_2010_05_25(097).jpg.7a10c6d2e48594f362aca33383476845.jpg

Just went on this excursion May 25th. This is the reply I posted to a similar thread:

This was absolutely the highlight of our trip to the Pacific NW!!!

That's great to hear, I was hoping you might give some input on this (I felt a bit responsible since I recommended it to you on the roll call).

How fit/comfortable do you have to be to do it, I am sure there are quite a few poeple that wouldn't feel comfortable out on a glacier lake by themselves.

That's great to hear, I was hoping you might give some input on this (I felt a bit responsible since I recommended it to you on the roll call).

How fit/comfortable do you have to be to do it, I am sure there are quite a few poeple that wouldn't feel comfortable out on a glacier lake by themselves.

My husband is in his mid-30's and I'm in my late 20's. We are both rock climbers and outdoorsy-type folks and my husband is a boat seller here in the SE. We're pretty used to kayaks. Although I do want to point out that I'm not a good swimmer and only learned to swim at the local YMCA ten years ago.

Given this background, you'll find it funny that my husband (with his experience in white water kayaking) was nervous for the first half of the excursion and thought that his boat might tip over. He picked the only boat in the entire selection that he's never tried before since he wanted to try something new. The lake water was pretty choppy in the beginning bec of the storm brewing (which only turned out to be a drizzle).

I, on the other hand, never felt nervous in the boat they gave me. I'm guessing it's bec they fitted me perfectly in a Necky Eliza and it was just a good match. I never felt the kayak tip or roll on any side.

None of the icebergs flipped and the glacier didn't calve while we were there so it was pretty easy once the winds died down.

Sorry about the lengthy reply but I wanted to give as much reference as I can. The outfitter did give us instructions on where to go and portage in case of absolute emergency. The other thing is that when you are on the lake paddling, people at the visitor center tend to watch you the entire time so if anything ever happens, I'm pretty sure they can get a ranger to take care of things pretty quickly. I don't think you have to be really fit to do this trip since they give you 3-4 hours on the water and that is plenty of time to paddle 4-5 miles (depending on where you go).

Hope that helps!

Archived