Car tapes for skagway

trishs

We are renting a car and going to Emerald Lake & carcross. We would like to get some history, like they explain on the train, we were wondering if there are car tapes available to put in and get some history like they do in Yellowstone? Thanks Trish

Trish

I assume you already have Murray's milepost guide for this route? It is very helpful for stops and where to get best pictures. At several of the stops, they have extensive sign data. Also some info in the guide.

Good choice on the car rental. For one you can stop and take pictures anytime. Its hard to stop the train to get that picture you want. Emerald lake is really beautiful. Don't forget to stop at the worlds smallest desert just before Emerald lake. At Emerald lake lodge they claim to make the best apple cobbler this side of Germany. I tried it and it was pretty good. Don't be suprised if you drive up on a bear. We saw six bears driving back from Emerald Lake...what a sight my wife was the one who freaked out. Drive and observe this trip is just absolutely beautiful. Tim

Norwegian Sky Alaska 05/03

Norwegian Star Hawaii 11/03

Royal Caribbean Splendor of the Seas Meditterean 05/04

Holand America the Osssterdam Baja...preparing 12/05

Don't be suprised if you drive up on a bear. We saw six bears driving back from Emerald Lake...what a sight my wife was the one who freaked out. Tim

Tim- What time of year were you there? We are hoping to see some bears but we are not sure if we can expect to see them in August.

We've done Alaska repo on Summit in May '03 and '04.....the weather was wonderful (perhaps we were lucky;) ).

Renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake was the highlight of our Alaskan cruise. (I'm N O T into flying in small aircraft thru mountains!:o )

Do print out Murray's mile-post info and be prepared to have a great relatively inexpensive (compared to the train) excursion. We saw bears - what a shock to pull off the berm of the road and have them stand there staring back at you! Got lots of video - they weren't in any hurry to move on - and neither were we - we had all day to mosey up to Emerald Lake and back down to Skagway. Then had plenty of time to walk around in Skagway before returning to the ship.

Thanks again, Murray!

We were there the first week of June 03. We got lucky the weather was almost perfect. It rained only twenty minutes in Kechecian that was the only rain on the trip except for the sea days. When touring Alaska early June through late August is when to get the best weather. The ladies running the Avis Rental Car Office should be able to give you what they call a "Bear Report" Remember to keep your camera handy. There really are bears out there. Tim and Cathy

We've done Alaska repo on Summit in May '03 and '04.....the weather was wonderful (perhaps we were lucky;) ).

Renting a car and driving to Emerald Lake was the highlight of our Alaskan cruise. (I'm N O T into flying in small aircraft thru mountains!:o )

Do print out Murray's mile-post info and be prepared to have a great relatively inexpensive (compared to the train) excursion. We saw bears - what a shock to pull off the berm of the road and have them stand there staring back at you! Got lots of video - they weren't in any hurry to move on - and neither were we - we had all day to mosey up to Emerald Lake and back down to Skagway. Then had plenty of time to walk around in Skagway before returning to the ship.

Thanks again, Murray!

"When you say print out Murray's mile-post info" Is it on line? Trish

Archived