Need Passport at Ports?

We've cruised a dozen times and have never brought our passports off a ship. We always used our sail and sign cards as id to get back on. Have they changed any rules in the past year? I could make copies of our passports and then have them laminated if need be. I just worry about bringing our passports and getting ruined or lost.

Does it matter where you are "porting"? Also I believe I have read both... yes you do no you dont.

You could email Carnival and get something in writing.

ooo also the big thing is what happens if you get stuck at port and miss the ship for some reason or another?

We've cruised a dozen times and have never brought our passports off a ship. We always used our sail and sign cards as id to get back on. Have they changed any rules in the past year? I could make copies of our passports and then have them laminated if need be. I just worry about bringing our passports and getting ruined or lost.

No, they have not changed the rules.

Yes, you can still use SnS and state-issued ID to get back on the ship*.

*In most cases. This is sort of port-specific.

Factual part of the post over, the question I must ask is why would you bring a copy? It's not an official document and isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Why would you worry about your passport getting ruined or lost and not your DL?

Does it matter where you are "porting"? Also I believe I have read both... yes you do no you dont.

You could email Carnival and get something in writing.

ooo also the big thing is what happens if you get stuck at port and miss the ship for some reason or another?

I believe it is. Bermuda wanted passports or BC/DL. A lot of Caribbean ports don't.

No, they have not changed the rules.

Yes, you can still use SnS and state-issued ID to get back on the ship*.

*In most cases. This is sort of port-specific.

Factual part of the post over, the question I must ask is why would you bring a copy? It's not an official document and isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Why would you worry about your passport getting ruined or lost and not your DL?

DL is laminated and SnS is plastic if I remember correctly - a passport is not. I think that we haven't even shown our DLs in the past just the SnS card with our picture on it. I remember the ship swipes the card when you reembark the ship at all of the ports that I've been to in the past.

In terms of the copy of the passport, I have read on this forum that some do bring that too in laminated form. No, it is not worth the paper but there is an assigned number to all passport holders that is uniquely tied to each person.

Maybe I won't waste my time with the copies of the passport. Just was trying to play it safe in case things have changed lately.

Do children need a photo ID at the ports?

This is from the Carnival site (I bolded some text):

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Original or suitable quality copy of a Birth Certificate

Certificate of Naturalization

Passport Card

Enhanced Driver's License (EDL)

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit http://www.travel.state.gov.

No there is still no need to take your passport off the ship. In fact I just returned from a two week cruise in the Med, where the ship held our passports the entire time, including stops in Turkey.

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Carnival highly recommends all guests travel with a passport (valid for at least six months beyond completion of travel). Although a passport is not required for U.S. citizens taking cruises that begin & end in the same U.S. port, travelling with a passport enhances your disembarkation experience, as delays may be expected upon your return to the U.S. if you do not have one. Additionally, passports make it easier for you to fly from the U.S. to a foreign port should you miss your scheduled port of embarkation, or need to fly back to the U.S. for emergency reasons.

The Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative (WHTI) allows U.S. citizens (including children) sailing on cruises that begin and end in the same U.S. port to travel with one of the following WHTI compliant document:

Valid U.S. Passport

Passport Card

Trusted Traveler Program Membership Card, e.g., Nexus Card, Sentri Card or Fast Card

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov.

This has nothing to do with taking your passport ashore with you at at port.

At certain ports you do need a photo id. We always take a DL and the S&S card and have never once taken a passport off the ship.

If by chance you're left behind in a foreign port, one could be useful or perhaps just stay there and get a job rubbing aloe on tourists.:cool:

DL is laminated and SnS is plastic if I remember correctly - a passport is not. I think that we haven't even shown our DLs in the past just the SnS card with our picture on it. I remember the ship swipes the card when you reembark the ship at all of the ports that I've been to in the past.

Like I said previously, it depends on the port. I've gone to some that required a photo ID to get into the port area, and I've been to some that didn't.

In terms of the copy of the passport, I have read on this forum that some do bring that too in laminated form. No, it is not worth the paper but there is an assigned number to all passport holders that is uniquely tied to each person.

You can also get a consular card with important contact numbers and write your Passport number on that. Less chance of someone faking your passport in it's entirety if you don't give them the full image to work with.

Maybe I won't waste my time with the copies of the passport. Just was trying to play it safe in case things have changed lately.

Nope, nothing's changed.

A driver's license and S & S card was all I carried around for most ports. However, I did do one excursion that was kind of long and took me far from the ship so I took my passport along with me even though it wasn't required.

I figured that if we got back late and I missed the ship, my passport would have been useless locked in the ship's safe. I personally didn't want to take the chance of having issues getting on a plane if I needed to.

• 1 month later...

I read the list of 'bring one of these'....so just want to clarify ..one more time...thanks in advance for your patience!

All 3 of us (DH, DD18, myself) have passports, California DL and will have out SnS cards.

Is there any reason at all to bring along our birth certificates?

However, I think that leaving the passport in the safe on the ship is a good idea....AND getting a laminated copy of the first page...it has the Passport number, etc...while it wouldn't serve as a passport...it could certainly simplify the chore (nightmare!) of having to replace it...if u are unable to get back on the ship.

Thanks for clearing up the...'do I need to bring the birth certificates too?' My hunch is 'no'....but I know I have the expertise of hundreds of cruise experts here =0)

Since the rules have changed as far as re-entering the US I now take my passport into port with me. If something were to happen it is not worth the time, hassle and money to sit in that port while things get straightened out because I don't have my passport with me....;)

I was reading the shore excursion from St. Thomas to Virgin Gorda..and that says a valid passport is required :confused:

This is a case where a passport is required to be taken off the ship. Not because of anything that is happening in St. Thomas, You are leaving US territory and entering British territory and you have to clear customs when you land at Virgin Gorda (Usually the ship 's crew will take care of it for you, but it is done).

CRUISE TRAVEL

U.S. Citizens

Valid U.S. Passport

Passport Card

A government-issued photo ID is also required for all guests, including children 16 and over. For more information, a complete list of WHTI-compliant documents or to obtain a passport application, visit www.travel.state.gov.

Nuff said! :D

You will need a passport:

1) If, as many others say, you miss the ship.

2) If you want to engage in a financial transaction. I

We just returned from the July 10 Triumph sailing to Progreso and Cozumel. When we checked in in New Orleans the agent told us to take our passports ashore with us. Another couple said their agent told them not to take them ashore! Mixed messages for sure.

We only needed to show S&S to re-embark in Progreso but they checked photo ID in Cozumel before you could walk onto the pier to the ship.

We always take passports ashore just in case something would happen and we would have to fly home. What if you didn't miss the ship but suffered an injury requiring you to return home? A lot of shore excursions involve some risk of injury.

For me it's a "wetness" factor. My DL and credit cards fit in my pocket sized money pouch. It's also not an issue if it gets "wet" since it's "plastic". Cash too is not a big deal since it will dry out nicely. The passport is just "clumsey". I'd have to take a larger waterproof pouch to carry with me. Now if the "beaches" had some sort of "locker" where you could lock your stuff up while you swim it wouldn't be such a big deal.

I'm not so fearful when we're on the boat (for snorkling) but when you go to the beach what do you do with your stuff.

I tend to take DL and a photo copy and make certian I'm not late for the boat.

If your cruising often or live in a border state, why not get the passport card too? The passport card is good for border states, cuises into carribean/MX/CAN. Its the same size as you DL and plastic, so it's hard to ruin. Bring both onto the cruise, leave paper passport in safe and bring card into port.

I just renewed my passport and got the card also for an extra $20 bucks. However, fees just increased so it might be a little more.

Archived