Royal Caribbean vs Carnival FOOD?

I love the Chocolate melting cake on Carnival and think their desserts are much better than RC.

I loved Carnival's Warm Chocolate Melting Cake until we came across a recipe for it and saw the amount of butter and eggs they use! There's a reason why it tastes so melty and delicious! :eek:

I've never had the samen, but yes, the food is better on Carnival.

And although the layout of the WJ is better, the food is the same stuff every day, and quite boring, as well as bland. The buffet on the Spirit class vessels has some of the best variety at sea, as well as tasty. The Chinese, the daily Taste of Nations, as well as the delicious deli just completes the experience.

There is also more availability of food on Carnival during the "off" hours. On RCCL, your only option is the Cafe Promenade, which basically is cold finger sandwiches and Ellios type supermarket pizza. If you want fresh burgers and such, there's always Johnny Rockets for a charge.

That being said, we never went hungry on the ExOS. There was always something to chose from the menu (but I did leave my food twice on one sailing, as the Turkey and the Lobster were horrid).

You're so right, I never went hungry either.

I have been on 4 RCCL cruises and 3 CCL cruises and really can't find anything to complain about when it comes to the food. It is all good and a lot of it :D. However, RCCL has the best chilled fruit soups that I have ever had. I always seek them out at lunch and have another whenever offered at dinner!

We are planning another cruise for next summer and will probably end up on CCL due to RCCL's prices and lack of ships in the caribean and I will miss the soups :(

Amy

after many years of Celebrrity and RCL cruising, We did a transatlantic on Carnival Dream last year. Since the previous year we did a TA on Navigator, I had something to compare to. MDR was nothing special in either case, although the service wasn't as good on Carnival. To be fair, this was a new ship, so that could be a factor. The buffet on Carnival was IMHO , was the worst I have ever experienced on any ship I have been on, breakfast or lunch. Basically the same thing ever day and not what I would expect. Since both ships are somewhat similar in size, seating at meals is an issue on both ships. I believe the room service at breakfast was a continental menu, so DW would order from room service and I would try the buffet. Not a happy camper though. Totally gave up on lunch and ordered BLT's for lunch from room service. At least at lunch on RCL, there was enough of a selection in the buffet to make it worth trying to find a table.

Wow, we sailed on Dream in January and I have to partly agree about the buffet, but in the same area there is the deli, the Mongolian Wok, the burrito bar, the tandoori bar, the grill with freshly made burgers etc. pizza, and up one level is the Pasta bar. If only you had looked a bit rather than deciding that the food was the same every day. It really isn't a lot different, but each day has a theme to it.

Royal Caribbean doesn't have anywhere near the choices for lunch as there were on the Dream. (Maybe Oasis does, but we haven't sailed on Oasis yet)I wish that RCI had all the choices that Dream has, but most of all I wish there were freshly made burgers instead of those sitting in a pan under hot lights.

I like the chilled fruit soups on Carnival. RCI was good but I prefer CCL although put one in front of me right now and I don't care who made it, I would devour it.:D

I agree that there are lots of options on Carnival that don't cost extra. If you want a fresh cooked burger, they have it - none are sitting under the lights or pay a fee. I love the deli that is open all the time. Grilled Ruebens are da'bomb. Yum.

Just returned from my first Carnival cruise after 5 Royal cruises.

Carnival food in MDR was excellent and only had one not so good meal; the first night nothing appealed to me and I chose the chicken breast and penne.

The chicken was very dry. All meals after that were very good.

I tried escargot and I have to say they were delish.

The food was comparable to RC. However, the desserts were far superior.

I have always thought the desserts on RC were somewhat lacking and after consuming so many wonderful desserts on CC, RC needs to step up. The RC desserts lack the flavor and richness of those on CC, especially when it comes to chocolate.

In comparing the buffets, I have to go with RC, although neither is very good.

They are typical buffet food. The lido is poorly laid out and you have to walk around the entire area and stand in multiple lines to get all of your food.

Also, they stop serving lunch very early, 2:30 I believe and for those of us that eat late dinner that is really too early for lunch. We found more options on RC. On Radiance class they have the Seaview Cafe which had wonderful sandwiches and snacks, perfect for the late lunch. No extra cost.

I thought the MDR food was comparable, with an edge to Carnival.

I did not like the buffet food on the Navigator at all, though the lay-out was better. Carnival was much better in the buffet, as was Princess, Celebrity and NCL.

Norwegian had a great buffet area with much more room and much better traffic flow than any other ship I have been on--at least on the Jewel.

We have completed 10+ cruises on both Carnival and RCI. RCI's buffet is better, but we prefer the MDR on Carnival - both for presentation and taste of the food. But all is subjective. However, the ship's destination is what sells us on a cruise.:):):)

We just got off our first CCL cruise today (the Pride) we have sailed RCCL several times in the past. I will agree that food is very subjective but here is my opinion:

MDR Breakfast - RCCL - I missed having a pancake of the day on CCL and the food my DD and I received the 2 times we tried it was no so great. We could have played Frisbee with her pancakes the first am.

MDR Lunch - RCCL - I like the salad option. The burger in the MDR had lots of toppings but that was to cover up how dry it was!

MDR Dinner - CCL - both the entrees and desserts were overall better. I did miss having an Indian option each day.

Buffet - RCCL - I think the layout of the WJ is better. I sailed a Spirit class ship so it had the grill (ver good Ruben), Chinese, Taste of Nations. You had to wait in too many different ones for the variety and no on spot had the list of what was available on all stations. I ended uyp with cool/cold food on server occasions

Burger/Hot Dog/ Etc by the Pool - CCL - the grilled to order burgers were very tasty as was the hot dog I had. Johnny Rockets is good but this was included in the cruise fare.

Pizza - I like Sorrentos on the Freedom class the best but CCL is very close. It is available around the clock on CCL.

CCL has soft serve (Chocolate, Vanilla, And Strawberry) 24 hrs a day.

Our dinner at Davids (CCL) was better than Chops or Portifinos on the Freedom last year.

Edited by vavasmom

I loved Carnival's Warm Chocolate Melting Cake until we came across a recipe for it and saw the amount of butter and eggs they use! There's a reason why it tastes so melty and delicious! :eek:

Wrong move.

Never look at the ingredients on any cruise ship menu. You will definitely consume a huge amount of fat and calories on your vacation. Better not to know, just hit the gym as soon as you return.

Wrong move.

Never look at the ingredients on any cruise ship menu. You will definitely consume a huge amount of fat and calories on your vacation. Better not to know, just hit the gym as soon as you return.

Rather than wait to get home to hit the gym, do it right after you eat just don't go too crazy or better yet if weather permits take a few laps walking around the deck;)

We have completed 10+ cruises on both Carnival and RCI. RCI's buffet is better, but we prefer the MDR on Carnival - both for presentation and taste of the food. But all is subjective. However, the ship's destination is what sells us on a cruise.:):):)

Out of 40 cruises, I have found the Carnival food to be better than RCCL and lately the Celebrity food has been going down. Haven't been on Carnival lately, but I bet the chef aboard the ship will be the reason for good or poor food. Of course management dictates the waste and re-use of food etc. The first night always has the fish dishes too dry. Probably just warmed up from night before and re-use.

I really like the cabins on the Millennium class (Millennium,Constellation,Sumitt, and Infinity) ships particularly the aft corners. The speciality restaurants on the Millennium Class are still top notched.

We recently were on an RCI cruise and have always loved Carnival for its food quality and selections. We haven't found any other line that could beat Carnival, but the Serenade was very comparable. Carnival has more choices for breakfast, lunch and dinner, but the quality is the same in my opinion. I think RCI beats Carnival at the buffet.

Wrong move.

Of course, sometimes you get home and are dying to recreate the food experiences you had on board! Despite seeing the Choc melting cake recipe, we wouldn't hesitate to eat it again. (If you don't actually see the ingredients that go into it, they don't count!!) ;)

Its been over 7 years since my last cruise,on Ecstasy,and well who knows how long since my days on Jubilee.And quite frankly,can't remember much.Those were more party cruises,so that could explain alot.I have always really enjoyed the food on RCI.I have always admired especially, the presentation.

There is a young lady who has just recently posted a brilliant review of the pride,and if the pictures of the food are a true example of presentation, Carnival is sorely lacking in that area.Her photos are fantastic, so no that's not the problem.

I would think the two lines are much more similar than different over all.

Its been over 7 years since my last cruise,on Ecstasy,and well who knows how long since my days on Jubilee.And quite frankly,can't remember much.Those were more party cruises,so that could explain alot.I have always really enjoyed the food on RCI.I have always admired especially, the presentation.

There is a young lady who has just recently posted a brilliant review of the pride,and if the pictures of the food are a true example of presentation, Carnival is sorely lacking in that area.Her photos are fantastic, so no that's not the problem.

I would think the two lines are much more similar than different over all.

I assume that you're referring to this thread.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1207482&highlight=pride

Edited by cruisingator2