When only one parent travels with child

lilipad2

My mother, 5 yr old son and I will be cruising AK later this summer. I've heard that parents can be hassled (not sure if that's the right word, but there you go) if the children are not accompanied by both parents in some Intl ports. My dh is staying back home in TX to work, so he won't be there with us (next time). I've traveled within the US a lot as a single parent on airplanes and have never been questioned even though my son and I have different last names (never got around to changing it and I think it's too late now for the cruise).

My question is, do I need to carry some paperwork signed by my dh stating it's ok for us to travel? Could this be an issue? Also, can anyone point me to any online info on how to word such a letter or what it's called?

Thanks in advance!!

L

You absolutely will need to bring the notarized documentation - not just in international ports, usually the cruise line requires it, and I was also asked for it when re-entering the U.S. This is for our children's protection so a non-custodial parent can't take a child away, so I don't see it as a hassle at all.

Best,

Mia

You absolutely will need to bring the notarized documentation - not just in international ports' date=' usually the cruise line requires it, and I was also asked for it when re-entering the U.S. This is for our children's protection so a non-custodial parent can't take a child away, so I don't see it as a hassle at all.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

This! :) Make sure you have it notarized! If it is not notarized they will not accept it.

I always carried a notarized letter from my ex when traveling with our son, but in 4 cruises, including Mexico (the one others assert may require it), I was never asked for it.

Sadly, he passed away in March, and now, I will carry his certified death certificate.

My mother, 5 yr old son and I will be cruising AK later this summer. I've heard that parents can be hassled (not sure if that's the right word, but there you go) if the children are not accompanied by both parents in some Intl ports. My dh is staying back home in TX to work, so he won't be there with us (next time). I've traveled within the US a lot as a single parent on airplanes and have never been questioned even though my son and I have different last names (never got around to changing it and I think it's too late now for the cruise).

My question is, do I need to carry some paperwork signed by my dh stating it's ok for us to travel? Could this be an issue? Also, can anyone point me to any online info on how to word such a letter or what it's called?

Thanks in advance!!

L

You say your son has a different last name then you. So is DH the father? If not, you don't need anything from him but you do need it from the father - unless you have full legal and physical custody. Then you need those papers to prove your status.

We're quite happily married so it will be no problem getting my husband to cooperate. LOL.

BTW, I didn't mean to imply that this was a hassle. I just couldn't think of another way to put it (other than foot in mouth). I totally understand the need for this. I just meant that, up till now, I've never been questioned once when traveling with my son. I'm actually amazed by that and could see how this could be an issue.

Thanks again everyone. I really appreciate it.

While I completely agree it is a good idea to have something in writing, I have a daughter who is nearly 9 years old and she and I regularly fly in and out of the US together and without my husband and I have never once been questioned about it by anyone. We haven't cruised without him but air travel has never, ever been a problem.

I think the paperwork is a very good idea. Don't get me wrong. It never even occurred to me to get anything in writing.

However, one point to bear in mind is that a child's passport has to be renewed every 5 years and both parents have to be there in person with the child to submit the application. We have just renewed DD's passport again. It is a big pain to get all three of us together at the same time to submit the application but that is how it is done, for both the initial application and all subsequent renewals as well. Unless a single parent has all the relevant paperwork, they cannot get a pasport for the child without the cooperation of the other parent. The fact that a child has a passport suggests that those conditions were met and both parents consent to the child traveling.

You absolutely will need to bring the notarized documentation - not just in international ports' date=' usually the cruise line requires it, and I was also asked for it when re-entering the U.S. This is for our children's protection so a non-custodial parent can't take a child away, so I don't see it as a hassle at all.

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Not always true. We are just back from a 3 day cruise from England to France and I did not need (or take) any paperwork for the children even though Rob wasn't with us. I did check (obviously) before we left and was told as long as our surnames were the same there was no problem. :) I think that US rules may be different so check with your TA.

The fact that a child has a passport suggests that those conditions were met and both parents consent to the child traveling.

This is not always the case. My DD already had a passport when DH and I split. We both signed for the passport but our marital situation changed in a matter of hours one day. The fact a child has a passport only means that at one time the other parent consented (or the first parent filled out a why I can get the second parent's signature form).

Not always true. We are just back from a 3 day cruise from England to France and I did not need (or take) any paperwork for the children even though Rob wasn't with us. I did check (obviously) before we left and was told as long as our surnames were the same there was no problem. :) I think that US rules may be different so check with your TA.

You're right - I didn't specify this has to do with U.S. citizens since the OP is clearly from the U.S., but you make a very good point that this is a U.S. requirement (and I know Mexico and Canada have the same rule as well), but those from other countries may have different rules. I have read here before that the U.K. doesn't check to confirm it's the custodial parent travelling, so this wouldn't apply there.

Best,

Mia

Some people have used letters from:

http://www.seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

or

http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf

While this does not appear to be the situation of marci4tony - if the child is not yours (i.e friend, , grandchild, niece, etc) make sure you have the paperwork allowing you to authorize medical treatment and make other "parental" decisions during the trip.

It's not the US rules; the US has no exit requirements. It's the entrance requirements of the countries that you are visiting. I don't know of anyone who has been asked for this letter when traveling solo with a child to the UK or France. Try getting into Mexico or Canada without it; that's a different story.

And, as has been written here so many times before, permission given for a minor to obtain a passport is not the same as giving permission for them to travel out-of-the country.

Some people have used letters from:

http://www.seauonboard.com/Parental%20Authorization.htm

or

http://www.globetrektravel.com/minortravelforms.pdf

While this does not appear to be the situation of marci4tony - if the child is not yours (i.e friend, , grandchild, niece, etc) make sure you have the paperwork allowing you to authorize medical treatment and make other "parental" decisions during the trip.

THANK YOU!! I dont have to worry about the medical treatment - this is my daughter; we just have different last names as I've remarried! THANK YOU!!:D

While I completely agree it is a good idea to have something in writing, I have a daughter who is nearly 9 years old and she and I regularly fly in and out of the US together and without my husband and I have never once been questioned about it by anyone. We haven't cruised without him but air travel has never, ever been a problem.

I think the paperwork is a very good idea. Don't get me wrong. It never even occurred to me to get anything in writing.

However, one point to bear in mind is that a child's passport has to be renewed every 5 years and both parents have to be there in person with the child to submit the application. We have just renewed DD's passport again. It is a big pain to get all three of us together at the same time to submit the application but that is how it is done, for both the initial application and all subsequent renewals as well. Unless a single parent has all the relevant paperwork, they cannot get a pasport for the child without the cooperation of the other parent. The fact that a child has a passport suggests that those conditions were met and both parents consent to the child traveling.

But allowing a passport is not considered blanket consent for one parent to travel out of the country with their child. It won't wash as an argument with some agents, especially countries that are strict such as Mexico.

Keep in mind that the fact that you've never been required to show a letter from your DH authorizing the travel doesn't mean that you never will. It's possible, which to me is more important than whether it's likely. If an immigration agent does require it (and they can), you would need to provide it.

beachchick

I was asked by my TA to have a letter so this is what I drafted...

As my kids dad is out of state. We are divorced and I am traveling with my mom. So I put her name in it also, in case something happens to me. I needed one for the kids to go with her to Costa Rica. They never asked for it. Since we are starting in the US and landing in Canada we needed it. Will see if they ask... I have it in my hand...

Also extend your travel dates on both end just in case... And be specific...

Name and Address of

parent not traveling with you

(DATE)

To Whom It May Concern:

I am the father of Pirate and Princess. I do hereby give my permission to their mother, the Queen, andher mother, Grandmother Queen to take them from their state of residence on vacation to Anchorage, Alaska from August 3rd, 2010 and cruising to Vancouver, Canada on Holland America. Returning on or about August 17th,2010 to their place of residence the castle.

Sincerely,

The Ex king

STATE OF Parents place of residence

COUNTY OF

In_____________, on the ____ day of _____________, 20___, before me, a Notary Public in and for the above state and county, personally appeared ___________________, known to me or proved to be the person named in and who executed the foregoing instrument, and being first duly sworn, such person acknowledged that he or she executed said instrument for the purposes therein contained as his or her free and voluntary act and deed.

NOTARY PUBLIC

My Commission Expires: ________

(SEAL)

Archived