GCT Romance or Great Rivers for first River Cruise?

MrsBBuffalo

We are frequent ocean cruisers but hope to take our first European River cruise next year. We are looking at GCT to start as we have many friends who have sailed with them. Ideally, we want to book one of their short notice deals about 3-4 weeks out for June of 2011.

I would love to hear specific comments on those two itineraries, Romance of the Rhine and Moselle and Great Rivers of Europe from some people who have done both. As in, we saw more castles or more scenic riverside or better walkable ports, etc. We would be 4 active people aged 55-60.

Thanks!

Our first river cruise was The Great Rivers of Europe with GCT; we loved it so much that we did their Holland and Belgium in Springtime the following year. Although we haven't yet been on the Romance of the Rhine and Mosel (but will as soon as we find a sale cheap enough LOL!), we have friends who have taken both. Several commented that the Great Rivers had more walkable cities, so since that's one of your criteria, I give a vote for the Great Rivers.

However, since you're interested in last minute bookings (to get a great pirce), you may find that one or the other trip just doesn't have as many special deals. For us, it seems that every time we start seriously looking for sales on the Romance of the R&M, we see lots of sales for the Great Rivers. Maybe they take fewer people on the Romance of the R&M???

Whichever you choose, you'll have a wonderful time.

We recently did the Romance of the Rhine and Moselle and enjoyed it. We found the cities we stopped at very walkable and the provided walking tours very informative. Castles were in abundance but if you want to take pictures you really need a long lens on your camera as some are quite a distance. I would recommend a 300mm lens or longer if you have it.

Our only complaint was dinner was not served until 7pm and did not finish until after 9pm some times. We are used to eating around 5pm and found ourselves buying dinner ashore when possible. As we enjoy sampling local foods that really didn't bother us.

Cheers,

We recently did the Romance of the Rhine and Moselle and enjoyed it. We found the cities we stopped at very walkable and the provided walking tours very informative. Castles were in abundance but if you want to take pictures you really need a long lens on your camera as some are quite a distance. I would recommend a 300mm lens or longer if you have it.

Our only complaint was dinner was not served until 7pm and did not finish until after 9pm some times. We are used to eating around 5pm and found ourselves buying dinner ashore when possible. As we enjoy sampling local foods that really didn't bother us.

Cheers,

Going on the R&M in July and glad to read your posting.

Your list under your writing, am I correct that you are retired from the Navy?? If so could you tell me when you are invited to a change of command ceremony does this require a gift?? I have had answers yes and no and just a card. Any thought would be of great help.

Thank You.

Cheers,

When I travel to Europe, my internal clock is so messed up! 7 in the even there is 1 in the afternoon here . . . I just pretend dinner is lunch.

Going on the R&M in July and glad to read your posting.

Your list under your writing, am I correct that you are retired from the Navy?? If so could you tell me when you are invited to a change of command ceremony does this require a gift?? I have had answers yes and no and just a card. Any thought would be of great help.

Thank You.

I have never heard of providing a gift or card for a CoC, and can't really think of a good reason why you should. A CoC is nothing more than a Commanding Officer being transferred to another duty station and turning over his command to someone new. Not really a big deal (in my opinion). But then the only CoC's I have been too I was while on active duty and I was required to be there.

For a retirement ceremony however a gift may be appropriate if you are close to the person.

Cheers,

Thanks for the comments! It's funny because we have been seeing lots of good prices for the R&M for this year. LOL Maybe it goes in cycles.

This trip adds up to a pretty expensive venture for us, so we do want to maximize our savings. How late have you actually booked before, JerseyGem? I have been tempted to call GCT (since we have never traveled with them before) and ask about some of the last minute offers for this year to see how they might work out, ie, price, cabin location, availablity of shore ex, etc. Our cousin who plans to come with us may or may not be traveling as a solo traveler, so we'd also like to find out how that works at the last minute.

Thanks again!

I have never heard of providing a gift or card for a CoC, and can't really think of a good reason why you should. A CoC is nothing more than a Commanding Officer being transferred to another duty station and turning over his command to someone new. Not really a big deal (in my opinion). But then the only CoC's I have been too I was while on active duty and I was required to be there.

For a retirement ceremony however a gift may be appropriate if you are close to the person.

Cheers,

Thanks for you thoughts on this. One other thing is that we are invited to the reception afterwards and this is given by the Admiral receving the new command and he is our friend. This friend will be in charge of the defense distribution center.

DH was a Capt. in the USN. At his COC, there were no gifts. Dress is usually business--men in suits, ladies in dresses or business type pant suits. As posted no gifts required. If the person taking command is a friend, then I might get a card and maybe a bottle of their favorite wine. This would be only if a close friend. These are very time honored traditions. Retirement ceremonies are quite different. The reception afterwards can be anything from cake and punch to heavy hors d'ourvers. There is usually a receiving line. No obligation to stay the entire time unless you are having a really good time. Enjoy, Pat

Please remember that I am looking for input on European River cruises, Romance of the Rhine and Moselle or Great Rivers of Europe with GCT. Has anyone been on both cruises? Which one did you like better and why?

Thanks!

I have been on GCT's Great Rivers three times and the Rhine & Mosel twice. Each is fantastic so you cannot go wrong. I would suggest the Great Rivers as your first trip since in includes both Vienna and Amsterdam. I also like beginning the trip in Vienna and ending in Amsterdam. Instead of calling GCT, check out their website ww.gct.com for their "Last Minute Deals". I have gotten deals on four of my GCT river cruise. You can save quite a bit of money if your don't have set dates.

Beth...I noticed you are from Surprise, AZ. While we are both in the Phoenix metro area but live more than 75 mils apart. I live outside of Queen Creek. GCT have some pretty good flight connection out of Sky Harbour.

we have done both and they were bothwonderful and allwalkable cities.I would love to redo

VRomance of the Rhine and Moselle --every city more charming--if you go insummer-flowersare beautiful also

I did a review of Romance of the Rhine and Moselle

Vjust returned from GCT Rhine and moselle

It was a fabulous cruise.Our second with GCT(first we had some air problems)

This cruise was perfect in every respect-wonderfil spic and span clean ship;wonderful cruise with fabulous captain;food and service were all excellant and ports were each one exceptional(i kept thinking I would not like the next-but all were wonderful--we did end the cruise in basel--which I did not care for)

the only complaint A WE HAD WAS THE COFFEE WAS BAD-SO BRING A COFFEE POT.bUT I DID LEARN TO ENJOY COCOA AGAIN.

We enjoyed several concerts out -included and dinner out in Straussbourg-wine tasting;tours of course-included..Which were wonderful

we only tied up to another boat-viking-in basel.We did notice their lounge was not nearly as nice as ours.Our ship had comfy chair and many leather sofas-the viking ship had all low club type chairs that did not look comfy after 15 days .

any questions pls lmk

We did one iptional Alsace in France which was a charming drive stop in the Alsace villages-with wine tasting of course

River cruise lines and ocean lines do not allow elelcrical appliances brought aboard with the exception of razors, curling irons and hair dryers. There is a real fear of fire. If the coffee is that bad, find some good stuff while on shore. Pat

Roger, you are the cruiser we were looking for! And you live "nearby"! LOL We appreciate your thoughts and tips on the itinerary and booking deals. When you flew out of Sky Harbor, where did you connect through? We can be pretty flexible in our dates. We are generally thinking of booking next May for a cruise next June. What times of year have you gone? And how last-minute did you book? Did you do an add-on at either end of the cruise when booking last minute?

Nbevins, thank you for your thoughts as well. Helps to confirm that GCT is a good choice, as well as both itineraries being wonderful. What times of year did you cruise?

We don't drink coffee, so no problem there. And we love cocoa! I have read that we might want to take our own pillows? What do you all think?

Thanks so much for all the input!

Roger, you are the cruiser we were looking for! And you live "nearby"! LOL We appreciate your thoughts and tips on the itinerary and booking deals. When you flew out of Sky Harbor, where did you connect through? We can be pretty flexible in our dates. We are generally thinking of booking next May for a cruise next June. What times of year have you gone? And how last-minute did you book? Did you do an add-on at either end of the cruise when booking last minute?

Nbevins, thank you for your thoughts as well. Helps to confirm that GCT is a good choice, as well as both itineraries being wonderful. What times of year did you cruise?

We don't drink coffee, so no problem there. And we love cocoa! I have read that we might want to take our own pillows? What do you all think?

How are you going to take your own pillows with the suitcase weight problem. I think it is best to ask for extra while on board if you want to raise your head higher or put a couple of towels inside the case.

MrsBB, River cruises are so much smaller than ocean liners. The cabins go quickly. If you wait til next May to book for June you may be out of luck. The is high season and the airlines might also be full. If you can try to book earlier. Be careful, river cruising is addicting, number 13 and 14 coming up this year for us. Pat

How are you going to take your own pillows with the suitcase weight problem. I think it is best to ask for extra while on board if you want to raise your head higher or put a couple of towels inside the case.

On the GCT boat we took, you could raise the head of the bed. No need for extra pillows doing that.

Are there any cabins to avoid on these Riverboats? As in, if we do want to book last minute but the only available cabin is X, it isn't worth it??

You need to read post #22 I think they thought I was asking about the pillow thing but I only answered you as you were the one asking the question.

Read on.

I've connected out of Atlanta, Washington Dulles and JFK on my GCT trips to Europe. Dulles and Atlanta are OK but try and avoid JFK. I have been on river cruises in April, June, July, August, September and November. June is my favorite month because it stays light much later. I have booked as late as 6 weeks prior to the cruise. It was harder for me because I travel as a single. I have added on the extensions on most of my trips. The pillows were always fine for me as well as the beds. I am 6'2" and never had a problem sleeping.

You really should not have much of a problem booking at the last minute is you have a flexible schedule and do not care about cabin category. I have been in all categories and have another river cruise booked for next April on the bottom (Prelude) deck. Unless you really want a balcony, I would skip it because you are not in your cabin that much. If you want your balcony for viewing the scenery you will miss all that is on the opposite side of the ship.

I've connected out of Atlanta, Washington Dulles and JFK on my GCT trips to Europe. Dulles and Atlanta are OK but try and avoid JFK. I have been on river cruises in April, June, July, August, September and November. June is my favorite month because it stays light much later. I have booked as late as 6 weeks prior to the cruise. It was harder for me because I travel as a single. I have added on the extensions on most of my trips. The pillows were always fine for me as well as the beds. I am 6'2" and never had a problem sleeping.

You really should not have much of a problem booking at the last minute is you have a flexible schedule and do not care about cabin category. I have been in all categories and have another river cruise booked for next April on the bottom (Prelude) deck. Unless you really want a balcony, I would skip it because you are not in your cabin that much. If you want your balcony for viewing the scenery you will miss all that is on the opposite side of the ship.

plus you also miss some great company!

Once again, Roger with lots of answers! Thank you so much! I appreciate your comment about traveling single as our cousin plans to join us and she is reluctant to gamble with the roommate matching service for the first trip. I imagine once we went, and maybe she met some others for whom that had worked out really well, she might consider it.

As long as we have a window, and I think all the cabins do, we will be fine. And yes, Roger and CPT, we look forward to being up on deck, to see it ALL and enjoy it with our fellow passengers. Since we will be newbies, I'm sure there will be travelers like yourselves who can answer when I keep saying, "What is that?"!

We are actually considering really late booking, like 3 weeks out. We usually get an email and a paper mailing at that point and those are the cheapest prices. I just need to call them to determine if add-ons are still possible on those late bookings. We have sort of focused in on June, so it was good to hear you like that month. Did you just pack layered clothing for that time of year? Cool mornings and evenings, pleasant days? Short or long sleeves in the daytime?

We sure are enjoying these bonus cooler mornings here in AZ! We have been able to get out to walk or ride almost every day.

Archived