Excursion or better to do it on our own?

tocruzagain

This will be our first trip to Grand Cayman next month and I am trying to firgure out if we would be better just going to seven mile beach then back towards the port for some looking around and shopping or an island tour like through cayman in a nutshell. Is there much to see or shopping right there near the port? Also, how much time do we need to allow to catch a tender back to the ship...are there several that run constantly throughout the day??

Thanks!

It has been several years since I was at GC, but as far as I recall, the tenders back and forth from ship to port all day, and let you off in an area near a bunch of shops. From various posts on this board, taxis to the beach are plentiful (and there is a public bus stand not too far from tender dock that is less expensive.) We will be there next week--and plan on doing the beach on our own. I will try to come back and post how it worked out!

In front of the Port Authority building you will find a tourist bus stand. These buses run up and down 7 Mile beach. Last year, if I recall correctly, one way fares were US $3, $4 and $5 depending on how far up the beach one wanted to be. While ships are in port service is frequent. This map may prove useful.

The main shopping district is across the street from the tender piers.

7 Mile beach would top my list of places to visit on Grand Cayman. You can choose to hit the beach in the morning. Have lunch there or head back into town and have lunch before doing some shopping.

When I was there in 2009 there was a Hagen Daas ice cream shop at the rear of the Pier Market Place - across from South Terminal with a fountain in front - very yummy Macadamia nut ice cream!

Tenders run constantly. But don't wait until the last minute as the line ups can get very long.

Grand Cayman is easy to do on your own, so there is no need to do a formal excursion if you just want to see the island, hit 7 mile and/or shop.

Once you get off the tender at the port there will be taxi driviers EVERYWHERE asking you whether you want to be dropped off at the beach or offering to take you around.

I went to Grand Cayman for the first time in May. We were planning to just go to 7 mile but met a taxi driver who was offering tours of the island for $20.00. We hopped in a taxi with about 4 other cruise passengers and were taken to Hell, a rum cake factory, the dolphin park (you have to pay extra if you want to swim or touch the dolphins, but its free to just go there and watch) and 7 mile beach. The driver was very knowledgable and gave us a lot of facts and history and pointed things out as she was driving. Afterwards, the driver offered to drop us off near the port where there is PLENTY of shopping or along the beach.

When I went we wanted to have more beach time before shopping, so we just had the driver drop us off at a public beach along 7 mile. Food, drinks, water toys, umbrellas, chairs...etc were all at the beach available for rental. Again, there was no problem getting a cab back. There were plenty lined up right in the parking lot along the beach waiting for people.

Since we did the a tour it cost us $25.00pp ($20 for the tour and $5.00 to get another driver to get us back to the port). However if you just want to do the beach and go back for shopping it probably won't cost you more than $10.00 pp or so if you take a cab.

Just give yourself plenty of time to get back to the tender. Once we did a little shopping we hopped in the tender line about an hour early and only waited a few minutes to hop on the next tender back to the ship. However, the line behind us was getting long pretty quickly.

Enjoy your trip!

It has been several years since I was at GC, but as far as I recall, the tenders back and forth from ship to port all day, and let you off in an area near a bunch of shops. From various posts on this board, taxis to the beach are plentiful (and there is a public bus stand not too far from tender dock that is less expensive.) We will be there next week--and plan on doing the beach on our own. I will try to come back and post how it worked out!

Thanks so much for your input. I hope you have a great trip next week and please come back and post your thoughts!!

Happy sailing!!

Grand Cayman is easy to do on your own, so there is no need to do a formal excursion if you just want to see the island, hit 7 mile and/or shop.

Once you get off the tender at the port there will be taxi driviers EVERYWHERE asking you whether you want to be dropped off at the beach or offering to take you around.

I went to Grand Cayman for the first time in May. We were planning to just go to 7 mile but met a taxi driver who was offering tours of the island for $20.00. We hopped in a taxi with about 4 other cruise passengers and were taken to Hell, a rum cake factory, the dolphin park (you have to pay extra if you want to swim or touch the dolphins, but its free to just go there and watch) and 7 mile beach. The driver was very knowledgable and gave us a lot of facts and history and pointed things out as she was driving. Afterwards, the driver offered to drop us off near the port where there is PLENTY of shopping or along the beach.

When I went we wanted to have more beach time before shopping, so we just had the driver drop us off at a public beach along 7 mile. Food, drinks, water toys, umbrellas, chairs...etc were all at the beach available for rental. Again, there was no problem getting a cab back. There were plenty lined up right in the parking lot along the beach waiting for people.

Since we did the a tour it cost us $25.00pp ($20 for the tour and $5.00 to get another driver to get us back to the port). However if you just want to do the beach and go back for shopping it probably won't cost you more than $10.00 pp or so if you take a cab.

Just give yourself plenty of time to get back to the tender. Once we did a little shopping we hopped in the tender line about an hour early and only waited a few minutes to hop on the next tender back to the ship. However, the line behind us was getting long pretty quickly.

Enjoy your trip!

That is exactly what I was wondering if there would be plenty of taxis willing to do their own version of an island tour and drop us at the beach. Tell me, is there really a lot to see on the island or if you were to do it again would you just head straight on to the beach? Either way, $25pp is WAAAAAY cheaper than any formal excursion out there. Thanks so much for the information!!

In front of the Port Authority building you will find a tourist bus stand. These buses run up and down 7 Mile beach. Last year, if I recall correctly, one way fares were US $3, $4 and $5 depending on how far up the beach one wanted to be. While ships are in port service is frequent. This map may prove useful.

The main shopping district is across the street from the tender piers.

7 Mile beach would top my list of places to visit on Grand Cayman. You can choose to hit the beach in the morning. Have lunch there or head back into town and have lunch before doing some shopping.

When I was there in 2009 there was a Hagen Daas ice cream shop at the rear of the Pier Market Place - across from South Terminal with a fountain in front - very yummy Macadamia nut ice cream!

Tenders run constantly. But don't wait until the last minute as the line ups can get very long.

mmmm!!! Macadamia nut ice cream sounds good!

That is exactly what I was wondering if there would be plenty of taxis willing to do their own version of an island tour and drop us at the beach. Tell me, is there really a lot to see on the island or if you were to do it again would you just head straight on to the beach? Either way, $25pp is WAAAAAY cheaper than any formal excursion out there. Thanks so much for the information!!

Im sure there is more to see on the island, but since we were there for a limited amount of time, we just kind of hit the major spots. If I were to do it again as a cruise stop, I probably wouldn't do the whole tour again since I've already seen those spots. I would probably just go out to the dolphin park and actually swim with the dolphins the next time and then hit 7 mile.

7 mile is absolutely gorgeous and I could literally spend all day there though. The island tour is nice to do if you have never been there though just to get a quick overview of what the island is like and to hear the taxi driver talk about what it's like living there, but probably isn't necessary to do again once you have done it once.

I guess I should note that the taxi's are actually mini vans and they don't leave until it is full (or almost full) to maximize how much money they can make on each trip. The taxis are a flat rate and not metered so the more ppl in them, the more money they make. So if you only have a party of two they are going to wait until a few more ppl join you. There are so many people there that need a taxi to the beach, want an island tour...etc... though that it will fill up quickly. It wasn't a big deal and we actually met other cruise passengers that way.

That's the same way it works in Nassau, St. Thomas, and St. Maarten so I think it's probably that way in any major cruise port. I'm excited to just be going so if all we do is lay and play at 7 Mile Beach it's all good!! Thanks so much for your input. I appreciate you taking the time to share.

after we get ourselves to 7 mile beach, is there a fee to get onto the beach besides the chair and umbrella rental fee? Is there a restaurant to get lunch?

No.

The beach is 7 miles long there are numerous eateries, resorts, rental companies spread along its length.

Is there any snorkeling at 7 mile beach? If so, a place to rent the equiptment?

There is decent snorkeling from George Town. In fact you'll often see the excursion boats and snorkelers a few hundred yards from the tender piers.

If you search these boards, especially the Cayman Island one you will find numerous posts that should help you. You may also find this site useful.

We have been to Grand Cayman several times and have always planned our own excursions and have never had a problem. Its very "Americanized." We were there again on 6/16 with our family-7 total. We only had from 8am - 2:30pm arriving on the INSPIRATION, we again went to the CAPTAIN MARVIN'S web site and booked a short excursion to the Coral Gardens and Stingray City. Afterwards we walked down to uy Harvey's Studio or purchases and autographs-Guy Harvey, when ever in town does show up usually early afternoon for "meet and greet" and pictures. We never have time to eat, except for snacks along the way and eat an late lunch/early dinner on board. Whatever you decide to do, will be very satisfactory.

• 4 weeks later...

Hey Biffer, please come back and let us know how it all worked out.

Inquiring minds want to know!

Anyone else with additional information is of course welcomed, encouraged even to reply as well.

If all you want to do is hit the beach and shop downtown, I would suggest doing it independently. Local buses to 7 mile beach are convenient and easy. Downtown shopping is also quite walkable.

Tenders run throughout the day. Just make sure that you know when the last tender is scheduled and that your watch is set to the proper time to catch that tender (as ship time is often different than local time in Grand Cayman).

If all you want to do is hit the beach and shop downtown, I would suggest doing it independently. Local buses to 7 mile beach are convenient and easy. Downtown shopping is also quite walkable.

Tenders run throughout the day. Just make sure that you know when the last tender is scheduled and that your watch is set to the proper time to catch that tender (as ship time is often different than local time in Grand Cayman).

Thank you! That sounds about what we want to do, got to go to Hell's post office tho of course! Send post cards to some friends and otherwise. :eek:

Archived