Quebec - What are the Don't Miss?

Since we have been to QC previously, we'll spend our first day in the city and get a rental car for the second day. Have you been to M. Falls? ....it doesn't seem to impress some visitors. Do you have any recomemdations for Ile d'Orleans?....we like nature, natural sites, art, and cultural spots.

The Falls are worth it. They are 83 metres high, 27 metres higher than Niagara Falls.

We stayed in QC this last weekend at the Frotnenac, they were also giving tours of the hotel to non-guests I believe for free. They start from the terrace level ten-til the hour during the day, if you're interested.

Really great food everywhere, easy to walk around as much or little as you want. Nice place for lunch is the 'ancient canadians' on the corner a couple blocks down from the Frontenac, can't miss the red roof. Caribou/moose meat pie, Pheasant and baked beans, Maple Syrup pie.

• 1 month later...

I'm window shopping at possible ship sponsored shore excursions....HAL Maasdam May 2011. There are so several great sounding options,

walking tour

carrage city tour

after dark ghost walking tour

the castle/hotel

Saint Anne church

Montmorency Falls

Orleans island

Any suggestions for first timer to Quebec ?

I'm window shopping at possible ship sponsored shore excursions....HAL Maasdam May 2011. There are so several great sounding options,

walking tour

carrage city tour

after dark ghost walking tour

the castle/hotel

Saint Anne church

Montmorency Falls

Orleans island

Any suggestions for first timer to Quebec ?

We just returned from taking a cruise that started at Quebec after spending the night on the ship. We were told for first timers it is best to just walk around the Lower Town and Upper Town which is inside the wall and of course go to Chateau Frontenac. If you have more time you can go to the falls, but we never heard comments from anyone who did. You can get more info from the sister site, trip advisor. If you have seen any type of quaint old buildings with high steps on hilly streets before this can give you an idea of what old Quebec is. We saw all we needed to see in 5 hours. Good luck and have a great cruise.

We just returned from taking a cruise that started at Quebec after spending the night on the ship. We were told for first timers it is best to just walk around the Lower Town and Upper Town which is inside the wall and of course go to Chateau Frontenac. If you have more time you can go to the falls, but we never heard comments from anyone who did. You can get more info from the sister site, trip advisor. If you have seen any type of quaint old buildings with high steps on hilly streets before this can give you an idea of what old Quebec is. We saw all we needed to see in 5 hours. Good luck and have a great cruise.

thank you ! Sounds like I'm going to enjoy Quebec. Here's hoping for nice weather for a walking tour.

Definitely walk around the town. If you do a self guided tour (from a guide book) you will be fine. The history around WWII at the Chateau Frontenac is interesting.

Thanks again. I think a guided walk would be a great introduction to this fine city.

Thanks again. I think a guided walk would be a great introduction to this fine city.

I found several walking guides online, mostly at frommers dot com with maps. Of course the history of old Quebec didn't mean as much to us since we are not Canadians just like the U.S. history didn't entertain the Canadians on board our ship. Have fun. :)

We loved Quebec. We did the Falls -- lower (walk until you can almost touch them) and higher (cable car ride over them) and then to the bridge. Note: cable car accessible to w/c, scooter - one at a time.

Also loved St. Anne's Basilica - a lot of history, beautiful.

We did a private walking tour with shoretrips.com. A little pricey, but wonderful. It's a special place. Loved it. Vicki

I found several walking guides online, mostly at frommers dot com with maps. Of course the history of old Quebec didn't mean as much to us since we are not Canadians just like the U.S. history didn't entertain the Canadians on board our ship. Have fun. :)

Interestingly enough, I would suspect that our Canadian friends would know more about our history than we know about theirs...sad to say.

Traveling all over the world I do get the impression that they know us better than we know them. Last year at Halifax's citadel the guide knew that America's Civil War was in the 1860's when I inquired about Enfield rifles....which he was demonstrating.

Many Americans don't even know that.

We loved Quebec. We did the Falls -- lower (walk until you can almost touch them) and higher (cable car ride over them) and then to the bridge. Note: cable car accessible to w/c, scooter - one at a time.

Also loved St. Anne's Basilica - a lot of history, beautiful.

We did a private walking tour with shoretrips.com. A little pricey, but wonderful. It's a special place. Loved it. Vicki

So many great choices !

• 2 weeks later...

I just booked the walking tour with tea at the Chateau.

From HAL's website...

"One of the best ways to discover Québec's historical side is by walking through the narrow cobblestone streets. Your Québecois guide will help you discover the first settlement of New France, Place Royale and bring you to the first shopping street in North America in the Lower Town, Le Quartier Petit-Champlain. In the Upper Town, you will walk through three centuries of history to see La Place d'Armes, La Terrasse Dufferin, Place de l'Hôtel de Ville and the Ursulines Convent. Take time to enjoy your visit and taste castle life by having tea at the Château Frontenac. The Château’s legendary charm will add a special flavor to your memories of Québec. "

I just booked the walking tour with tea at the Chateau.

From HAL's website...

"One of the best ways to discover Québec's historical side is by walking through the narrow cobblestone streets. Your Québecois guide will help you discover the first settlement of New France, Place Royale and bring you to the first shopping street in North America in the Lower Town, Le Quartier Petit-Champlain. In the Upper Town, you will walk through three centuries of history to see La Place d'Armes, La Terrasse Dufferin, Place de l'Hôtel de Ville and the Ursulines Convent. Take time to enjoy your visit and taste castle life by having tea at the Château Frontenac. The Château’s legendary charm will add a special flavor to your memories of Québec. "

Are you that interested with the history cause that is what we heard the guides talking about as we passed them as we walked on our own. One thing bad with a group is if you see a place you want to stop, you can't and with those hilly streets and lots of stairs you will probably only want to go once in a day. We found the Chateau Frontenac very dark and dreary inside. Totally unexpected that after hearing so much about it. Expected a marvelous lobby but it was quite plain.

Interestingly enough, I would suspect that our Canadian friends would know more about our history than we know about theirs...sad to say.

Traveling all over the world I do get the impression that they know us better than we know them. Last year at Halifax's citadel the guide knew that America's Civil War was in the 1860's when I inquired about Enfield rifles....which he was demonstrating.

Many Americans don't even know that.

Nope, they sure didn't. I would start talking about the historical sites to see at Boston and Charleston and they could care less. Our guide for Halifax did not know much about his own city and he lived there all his life and never heard of the Macy's owner who died in the Titanic diaster.

Nope, they sure didn't. I would start talking about the historical sites to see at Boston and Charleston and they could care less. Our guide for Halifax did not know much about his own city and he lived there all his life and never heard of the Macy's owner who died in the Titanic diaster.

I suppose few people care as deeply about history as I do.

Archived