HAL's DISCRIMINATORY PRICING PRACTICE

Last Friday (6 days ago) my friends in Australia booked a 29 day, transatlantic repositioning cruise, VF category stateroom, for $4059 (Australian dollars - $4500 with taxes and port fees). This translates to $3443 (USA dollars)

The very next day we tried to book this same cruise. Imagine our surprise when HAL stated that our price here in the USA for the exact same stateroom category is $5499 (USA dollars) which translates to $6482 (Australian dollars).

3 calls to HAL and in each case they have confirmed our friends booking, category and price. They did so because in each case their own employees couldn't believe there would be that kind of difference in price. But there is. Each time the employee told us to use the Australian Travel Agent. We can't, the agency says HAL has a policy prohibiting it. Then we were told to have our friends book it. Booking ones own cruise is stressful enough without being responsible for someone else. I would never impose on them to do so. But none of them could offer that same price to us.

So far, HAL employees, supervisors and their upper corporate officials have failed to provide a single plausible explanation as to why they can't honor the same price to us AMERICANS or why I should book this cruise knowing that I'm being gouged $2,000 per person.

If you've ever been on a repositioning cruise (we've been on several) you know that they are never fully booked so I know it's not that. Besides this cruise is over a year away.

SO I ASK YOU. WOULD YOU PAY $2,000 PER PERSON MORE TO STAY on the same ship, in the same type stateroom, on the same deck, to receive the same amenities ??? I don't think so.

Last Friday (6 days ago) my friends in Australia booked a 29 day, transatlantic repositioning cruise, VF category stateroom, for $4059 (Australian dollars - $4500 with taxes and port fees). This translates to $3443 (USA dollars)

The very next day we tried to book this same cruise. Imagine our surprise when HAL stated that our price here in the USA for the exact same stateroom category is $5499 (USA dollars) which translates to $6482 (Australian dollars).

3 calls to HAL and in each case they have confirmed our friends booking, category and price. They did so because in each case their own employees couldn't believe there would be that kind of difference in price. But there is. Each time the employee told us to use the Australian Travel Agent. We can't, the agency says HAL has a policy prohibiting it. Then we were told to have our friends book it. Booking ones own cruise is stressful enough without being responsible for someone else. I would never impose on them to do so. But none of them could offer that same price to us.

So far, HAL employees, supervisors and their upper corporate officials have failed to provide a single plausible explanation as to why they can't honor the same price to us AMERICANS or why I should book this cruise knowing that I'm being gouged $2,000 per person.

If you've ever been on a repositioning cruise (we've been on several) you know that they are never fully booked so I know it's not that. Besides this cruise is over a year away.

SO I ASK YOU. WOULD YOU PAY $2,000 PER PERSON MORE TO STAY on the same ship, in the same type stateroom, on the same deck, to receive the same amenities ??? I don't think so.

Boy that sure sounds frustrating and makes no sense.

But as I sat here and thought a bit.This came to mind.Is it indeed quite similar as to what happens on cruises, airlines, hotels etc.Most customers/passengers pay quite different rates depending on many variables.....How far in advance the product was purchased.Was there a promotion going on.Was the company trying to move some inventory.You get the picture.With that being said I am not at all surprised.Wait and hold out for a lower fare.It is bound to happen.As you said the cruise it over a year away.Best of luck to you.;)

I remember a few years back being on a two week Baltic cruise.We began chatting with a gentleman on an excursion.He told us he paid less $1,000

for something we paid $2,500 each for.:eek:We tried to contain our shock.He was SO proud of his deal!!!!!!Thankfully you found this out before you purchased the cruise.You have plenty of time to wait for the rates to fall.:D

frequently, there are state specific (and country specific) sales. usually, the aussies are complaining about how much more they have to pay.

Me too. I am always reading about Australian and Brits paying far more than Americans and Canadians. This is certainly a switch.

We Canadians can, fortunately, book with US agencies and save the 20% upcharge when our dollar is near par.

Unfortunately for travel agencies in Canada, a lot of Canadians do this.

Are dealing with HAL for pricing? If so, their prices are always higher. You need to find an agency that offers a lower price. I found 2 repo cruises that are 29 days. Quickly checking one agency, I found a price that was $4,699 for the VF on the Nieux Amsterdam. The agency that I have looked at isn't the cheapest. You might not get the exact price that your friends received, but you might get close. I am sure that they are dealing with the largest cruise agent in Australia.

Me too. I am always reading about Australian and Brits paying far more than Americans and Canadians. This is certainly a switch.

We Canadians can, fortunately, book with US agencies and save the 20% upcharge when our dollar is near par.

That's OK, many of us get our prescriptions in Canada because it is cheaper!

Actually this is a switch, as most Australians complain that our prices are much lower..

It's very possible that their Agent in Australia has a group rate or as others have said, they had a special sale in Australia..We booked two outside cabins to the Amazon on the Dolphin Deck of the Prinsendam several years ago...Decided a few months later to look into what all the Cruise Critic people, especially Heather & Randy, were saying about getting it for less through a Travel Agent..I went on-line & checked out a few Agents & much to my surprise, we could get the same cabins on Main Deck for a little over $1,000 less per cabin..I called a Supvr. at HAL & he told me that they can not compete with their large Group Agents...I should have realized this as we did the same thing in the airline business...Agents who deal in Group space get good group rates..Therefore, I faxed an OK to HAL to transfer our booking to the on-line Agent, which they did without question & we received the lower price for both cabins on a higher deck which was an upgrade....Since then we always check the HAL price & then our Travel Agents price & it's always less...Plus we usually get the Pinnacle Dinner for two plus a generous OBC from our TA....So my advice to you would be the same as Storylady's...Look into booking with an Agent..Be sure to check out several Travel Agents on-line.. Be sure to read the fine print on their WEB sites & see if they have a cancellation penality..Also be sure to check out the TA with the State Consumer Protection Agency in the State where they do business as well as the BBC..If possible be sure you can reach your TA by phone if problems arise..Our TA is on-line, however we always talk to him for our bookings..It will take some doing but it's worth the saving..Good luck & hope you get a better fare..

Are dealing with HAL for pricing? If so, their prices are always higher. You need to find an agency that offers a lower price. I found 2 repo cruises that are 29 days. Quickly checking one agency, I found a price that was $4,699 for the VF on the Nieux Amsterdam. The agency that I have looked at isn't the cheapest. You might not get the exact price that your friends received, but you might get close. I am sure that they are dealing with the largest cruise agent in Australia.

Completely agree with you! Hopo the OP takes your advice..

Cheers....:)Betty

Allow your friends the oppurtunity to book your cruise... Chances are, they would love to help you out to the tune of $4000. Then use some of your savings to treat them to a couple of dinners at the PG, some drinks at the Crow's Nest, and maybe even throw in a spa day. At the most you will spend around $500 doing fun things with your good friends, at a savings of $3500.

And you will give your friends in Aussie the chance to be heroes!!!:)

For once Australians are being treated with more respect.

As Aussies are fed up with the way we are charged such over the top prices for cruises, and told we can't book through US agents.

Australians are sold cruises that at times are $1000's of dollars more than what they can be purchased for in the USA. Your friends are lucky.

As one poster suggested book through your Australian friends agent. By the way what ship is that on?

Have done both, looked for the group rates and gone through a handful of travel agents and they too, for the most part are quoting the same prices.

One travel agent offered $350 off the HAL quoted price which is interesting because we just happen to have a $350 per person onboard credit........so in essence they too offered nothing.

I have been watching that cruise for months. Would you believe it is the ONLY cruise on HAL's Australian website that is not way more expensive than if booked in the US.

No apparent reason for it to be cheaper - although the deposit is more than 50% and it is still more than a year away. I spoke to HAL's representative here and she said the size of the deposit was inhibiting bookings. No wonder!

So the cat's out of the bag now----I was rather keeping it to myself although my better half has vetoed it.

Never thought an American would discover it.

Now you know why Australians complain about discriminatory pricing, because in 99% of cases the boot is on the other foot.

Cheers

Yep, I just checked online and all prices for this cruise have now reverted to their usual Australian proportions. That VF balcony if booked here now would cost over AUD7,500 or about USD 6350, which is about 18% more than the US price quoted by the OP.

Now 100% of HAL's cruises cost more in Australia than in the US.

Position normal.

Yep, I just checked online and all prices for this cruise have now reverted to their usual Australian proportions. That VF balcony if booked here now would cost over AUD7,500 or about USD 6350, which is about 18% more than the US price quoted by the OP.

Now 100% of HAL's cruises cost more in Australia than in the US.

Position normal.

Yes saw that too Kipling.

So it's now back to status as normal........we (Aus and NZ) are paying heaps more than everyone else to do the same cruises.

Someone said on this thread 'it's a free market', well, I don't think it is, because if it were a 'free market' we would all be able to book with whoever we choose at one price for all.

Jillybean:)

Yes saw that too Kipling.

So it's now back to status as normal........we (Aus and NZ) are paying heaps more than everyone else to do the same cruises.

Someone said on this thread 'it's a free market', well, I don't think it is, because if it were a 'free market' we would all be able to book with whoever we choose at one price for all.

Jillybean:)

And these cruiselines think that us Aussies don't shop around. The cruiselines only seem interested in most cases, giving the Americans the better pricing.

Actually this is a switch, as most Australians complain that our prices are much lower..

It's very possible that their Agent in Australia has a group rate or as others have said, they had a special sale in Australia..We booked two outside cabins to the Amazon on the Dolphin Deck of the Prinsendam several years ago...Decided a few months later to look into what all the Cruise Critic people, especially Heather & Randy, were saying about getting it for less through a Travel Agent..I went on-line & checked out a few Agents & much to my surprise, we could get the same cabins on Main Deck for a little over $1,000 less per cabin..I called a Supvr. at HAL & he told me that they can not compete with their large Group Agents...I should have realized this as we did the same thing in the airline business...Agents who deal in Group space get good group rates..Therefore, I faxed an OK to HAL to transfer our booking to the on-line Agent, which they did without question & we received the lower price for both cabins on a higher deck which was an upgrade....Since then we always check the HAL price & then our Travel Agents price & it's always less...Plus we usually get the Pinnacle Dinner for two plus a generous OBC from our TA....So my advice to you would be the same as Storylady's...Look into booking with an Agent..Be sure to check out several Travel Agents on-line.. Be sure to read the fine print on their WEB sites & see if they have a cancellation penality..Also be sure to check out the TA with the State Consumer Protection Agency in the State where they do business as well as the BBC..If possible be sure you can reach your TA by phone if problems arise..Our TA is on-line, however we always talk to him for our bookings..It will take some doing but it's worth the saving..Good luck & hope you get a better fare..

Completely agree with you! Hopo the OP takes your advice..

Cheers....:)Betty

:) FYI - Online TA's located in the state of Florida are not required to belong to any type of state mandated licensing nor does BBB endorsement carry

much weight when you are a victum of dishonest

agency and owner who continue to do business by

simply closing down one locatiion and opening up somewhere new with new "names". :( I am not saying

that ALL online agencies do business this way - but

unfortunately I was really stung last year by one that

beat all the other offers I got from a well-known cruise search site. From now on - I book

with "brick and mortar" -- I don't get the great OBC's or other perks but my piece of mind is worth it. :)

My TA is able to let me pay in US$, but that's because she's affiliated with a US travel agency.

Cheers,

Deb

Pricing is crazy in most of the travel industry! :confused::confused:

Some years ago our DD and family lived in the UK, and rented a home in Spain for a 2 week vacation, to coincide with our visit. She later asked me to see what I would have to pay for a rental van in Spain for the time we would be there. The price booking a van from the US was much cheaper than booking from the UK!

I'm an Aussie and I booked our cruise with an American agent. Had no hassles. Some won't take our business but I found a great one that does. We have logged all our details on the HAL website and we are good to go in August. We also saved approx $1000 by doing it this way. A very good deal.

Archived