Carnival Mashed Potatoes

shsabres

Not at all.

Just think that many restaurants make their food very unhealthy with tons of added fat and salt.

Why do makers of soups add so much salt to their product? Not doing their customers any favors are they?

That is my opinion and sticking to it.

All that salt is in canned or packaged soup to preserve it. They don't want the soup to go bad and make people sick. So it doesn't make people sick, but it does eventually KILL them. But everything's a trade-off,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:eek::eek:

We're all gonna die of something'.... :D

My mom (God rest her soul), used to quote an old song that says:

Everybody wants to get to heaven, but nobody wants to die. ;)

You might as well do “X” because we are all going to die of something, is faulty logic at its worst.

It should not excuse behavior that hastens the process.

Not at all.

Just think that many restaurants make their food very unhealthy with tons of added fat and salt.

Why do makers of soups add so much salt to their product? Not doing their customers any favors are they?

That is my opinion and sticking to it.

You are on vacation who cares how much butter or salt they put into something that tastes good. If youf life revolves that much on how much of this or that they put into it then maybe you are living a bit restrictive. That is my opinion and I am sticking to it.

Salt is added purely for flavor to most foods. It's certainly not added to most freshly prepared food as a preservative at all. There are plenty of preservatives that add nothing except safety. That said, there are lots of canned foods that contain no preservatives or salt either. Cutting sodium out was the #1 thing the nutritionist taught DH and I when we were losing weight and it works. You do need some salt, but nowhere near what most people get. I do not however want the government telling me what I can and can't eat. But, we are well on our way there unfortunately. I'm not sure why cruiselines feel the need to make food so rich and sodium loaded. Most people are going to eat what's put in front of them on a cruise anyway because some think that's what a cruise is about. My goal in Nov is to gain no weight. The most I've gained is 4 lbs but I've heard of 8-10lb gains on a week long cruise.

Originally Posted by golfadj viewpost.gif

But not to worry, under the new health care bill the govt will soon be telling us how much salt and fat we can have with our meals.

Do you sweat lemon juice or something? Or are you just unable to keep your political vitriol and bitterness off of a cruise board?

Wow that was really a mean spirited comment.

Salt is added purely for flavor to most foods. It's certainly not added to most freshly prepared food as a preservative at all. There are plenty of preservatives that add nothing except safety. That said, there are lots of canned foods that contain no preservatives or salt either. Cutting sodium out was the #1 thing the nutritionist taught DH and I when we were losing weight and it works. You do need some salt, but nowhere near what most people get. I do not however want the government telling me what I can and can't eat. But, we are well on our way there unfortunately. I'm not sure why cruiselines feel the need to make food so rich and sodium loaded. Most people are going to eat what's put in front of them on a cruise anyway because some think that's what a cruise is about. My goal in Nov is to gain no weight. The most I've gained is 4 lbs but I've heard of 8-10lb gains on a week long cruise.

When I said all that salt was added as a preservative, the sentence contained the words, CANNED and PACKAGED. I made no reference to fresh foods.

ALL canned and packaged foods that are low sodium WILL contain in their ingredients lists, somewhere between 5 and 25 completely unpronounceable chemicals added "as a preservative" to replace the salt. Hobson's choice!:rolleyes:

When I said all that salt was added as a preservative, the sentence contained the words, CANNED and PACKAGED. I made no reference to fresh foods.

ALL canned and packaged foods that are low sodium WILL contain in their ingredients lists, somewhere between 5 and 25 completely unpronounceable chemicals added "as a preservative" to replace the salt. Hobson's choice!:rolleyes:

Fail.. Just checked in my pantry and found 3 cans of low sodium products. Corn, tomatoes, and a can of clam chowder, and none of them have any preservatives..

Fail.. Just checked in my pantry and found 3 cans of low sodium products. Corn, tomatoes, and a can of clam chowder, and none of them have any preservatives..

Best to throw them out then!!:D:p

Kindly give us a list of all ingredients in those "no preservative" products. Along with the RDA %'s.

Best to throw them out then!!:D:p

Kindly give us a list of all ingredients in those "no preservative" products. Along with the RDA %'s.

Green Giant 50% reduced sodium whole kernel sweet corn contains: Whole kernel corn, water, sugar, and salt. The percent DV of sodium is 7%/160 mg.

Do you think I'm making this stuff up? The canning process and the lack of oxygen within the can is what preserves them, along with the sodium.

Uh oh think somebody here has been deputized by the food police.

Not the food police. I don't care who eats what, that's up to them. Its the companies trying to fool us into something being healthy when it is NOT.

Case in point.

kujobie says "low sodium with NO preservatives because he/she believes that's what the can says.

It is NOT LOW sodium, it is reduced sodium. Still has plenty of sodium and THAT is the preservative.

Compare that "HEALTHY CORN" [which I love] to potato chips, which I can't avoid!

50% less sodium corn 160mg.sodium PER SERVING

POTATO CHIPS, plain, salted 168mg. per serving

Potato chips, UNSALTED, 2mg.

That is low sodium.

No complaint with kujobie, its the con job the companies lay on us that pisses me off.

Maybe you should give the "Maitre d' " a nice "Garrulity" and let him know of your request. Maybe he'll make arrangements to introduce you to the Chief and take you on a personal galley tour. These people love that sort of attention.

PA190131.jpg.d44384c2078653b5700320e0c2a19f2c.jpg

Archived