Netting for Alaska - help?

lizbeth

Hi -

We leave for Alaska (inland trip & cruise) in 2 weeks, and I'm starting to worry about getting a hat with mosquito netting on it. I'd rather not spend $20 on a hat & netting. Can anyone give me an idea where to buy one economically?

Since I have hand tremors, I can't sew anymore, so I cannot make one myself.

We are in the DFW area, TX, but Cabelas and REI are too pricy for me. Other suggestions are welcomed!:)

Thanks!

Liz

Hi -

Well, according to the boards, the mosquitos and no-see-ums are vicious blood seekers ... and they always seek me out here at home. I understand that I should have a hat+netting for Denali and surrounding areas. We are renting a car and going inland independently of any tours before our cruise.

So, helpful suggestions about where to buy this inexpensively are still welcomed!

Thanks!

Liz

Go over to JoAnne's fabrics and buy a yard of close weave netting. (comes in white, Army olive green and sometimes tan.) That should be enouch for at least 2 nets. No sewing. Just cut in 2 pieces. You can even ask the women at JoAnne's to cut it for you. Cost maybe a $1to $3. I use a net like that and put it over my head and neck and then tie it like a scarf but with my face covered. Easy!

The place where you most likely will net a net is at Wonder Lake in Denali if you are riding the shuttle that far.

The mosquitos in Texas carry diseases. The ones in Alaska don't. There are also no fire ants in Alaska and no snakes at all. So on that you can rest easy.

Unless you are camping at Wonder Lake, you likely won't have an issue with no-see-ums.

Well, according to the boards, the mosquitos and no-see-ums are vicious blood seekers ... and they always seek me out here at home.

I just got back from my trip, and the only place we encountered mosquitoes was on a shore excursion to Glacier Point (near Skagway/Haines). They clouded around the group pretty heavily, but did not appear to be aggressive or biting. They're significantly larger than any mosquitoes I've ever seen here in FL (and I'm just a couple of miles from the everglades). I put a little bugspray around my neck, and they never bothered me. We had brought along head nets as a just-in-case, but I did not bother pulling mine out of my backpack.

My suggestion would be to go directly to your local Walmart's sporting goods department and purchase a couple of the small plastic pump bottles of 100% DEET and carry one in your pocket and the other in your purse or bag....that will more than suffice....netting would be over kill in my opinion.

Get a hat and keep your hair under it. I have traveled all over Alaska and lived here all my life and have never used a netting. Ive spent a lot of time here in a place called "Mosquito river" and even thier Ive never used a netting not even once. I spray myself liberly with OFF and also you can get thin gloves and wear long sleeve shirts if your worried. Also if the mosquitos are really thick. Take your socks and put them over the top of the pant leg which then means your bare skin is coverd. But really only do this if the mosquitos are extremly thick. Its not a common thing to do in Alaska by any means but in places where the mosquitos are really thick ive done it. Then again we alaskans also refer to deet or off or any of that many times as "Alaskan perfume" lol. Also one can do the alaskan shuffle which means one is constently moving moving moving to get away from them lol.

Adri :)

Hi -

Well, according to the boards, the mosquitos and no-see-ums are vicious blood seekers ... and they always seek me out here at home. I understand that I should have a hat+netting for Denali and surrounding areas. We are renting a car and going inland independently of any tours before our cruise.

So, helpful suggestions about where to buy this inexpensively are still welcomed!

Thanks!

Liz

You are best with a bug net, IF you are going to Wonder Lake- are you??

Also take Deet.

IF you aren't, you really won't need one. Walmart has them as already mentioned.

Thank you all!

Cruise Critic readers always do a fantastic job of answering the many questions posted ... and, once again, you all have provided a wealth of information.

I'm headed to Walmart tomoirrow morning to get the Deet in a pump bottle! Sounds like a plan!

Thanks everyone!

-Liz

Archived